Pale Moon 'portable' browsers - 32- & 64-bit

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Pale Moon 'portable' browsers - 32- & 64-bit

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

To keep this thread up-to-date, potential users need to be aware that Pale Moon, like so many open-source projects, has now dropped 32-bit builds and officially gone 64-bit only. There are, however, a handful of "approved" 3rd-party 32-bit builds which are endorsed by the head of the project.....Moonchild himself. So we're still able to find 32-bit stuff to work with ATM.....and now THREE SSE-only builds, courtesy of one of our new members, Fenyo. I've 'portabilized' these one along with an updated, Debian Buster-based glibc - 2.28 - using watchdog's original 'tweak' trick.

I obtain 32-bit builds for the 32-bit GTK2-based 'portable' variants from Steve Pusser's repo, here:-

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

Here are up-to-date, current packages of v29.4.6. These can be found at my MEGA/MediaFire a/cs:-

32-bit:- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pv1dky ... +'portable'

64-bit:- https://mega.nz/folder/7WI3DCJY#OxA1rNHznGEtp9uXUSl2Ag

The 32-bit gets manually updated, by me. The 64-bit will auto-update via the built-in updater, and is the GTK2 build, rather than the GTK3.....hopefully making it compatible with more Puppies.

32-bit, SSE-only builds (v28.17.0, v29.1.0 & the current v29.4.1, all with glibc-2.28 'tweak'):- https://mega.nz/folder/3TR2jaDL#I8S84dSUcLnT3eKnnljGMw

Same as always; d/l + unzip. Place the resulting PaleMoon-portable directory wherever you want, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. So long as you always start it via the 'LAUNCH' script, it will create, and use, its own 'internal' profile every time. You can even run this from a flash drive if you feel so inclined, for the ultimate in portability....

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat May 15, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

BologneChe

Re: Pale Moon 'portables' - current release 28.13.0

Post by BologneChe »

Hi mikewalsh!

Thanks! Work great under Slacko 5.7 and Tahrpup64.

Born to lose; live to win

mikewalsh

Re: Pale Moon 'portables' - current release 28.17.0

Post by mikewalsh »

With thanks to peebee for unearthing this one:-

viewtopic.php?p=12833#p12833

....over at OpenSuse, this is Steve Pusser's build of the current Pale Moon 28.17.0 release. Moonchild Productions are no longer producing 32-bit Linux binaries, but Steve has been building these for quite a while.

All credits to Steve, and here is a 'portable' 32-bit build of PaleMoon 28.17.0 for y'all. You'll find it in the usual location in post #1, but this is one layer deeper, in the directory marked "Portables/32-bit/PaleMoon+".

Posting from it now, in DPup Stretch 7.5. Unfortunately, this won't run in older Puppies due to the need for a newer libstdc++.so.6; 'Stretch' is, so far, the only one I've tested it under. I've no idea what Steve uses to build these.

Perhaps someone else can fix the libstdc++.so.6 'issue'. The 64-bit portables will continue to auto-update as normal; these 32-bitzers will have to be manually built, as & when Steve produces them, since the 'Check for Updates' menu item is no longer present.

Cheers Peter! Cheers Steve!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

'Tweaked' PaleMoon32 v28.17.0...

Post by mikewalsh »

Right. Problem sorted.

Having said about the libstdc++.so.6 'issue', I recalled an occasion 2-3 yrs ago, when I was first looking at the LosslessCut video trimmer/manipulator. At the time, Greengeek wanted to get it running in his custom Slacko 560; we ended up using battleshooter's glibc-2.20 'upgrade' - a somewhat 'heavy' solution as it turned out, because watchdog, bless him, figured out that all that was really wanted was a newer libstdc++.so.6. The glibc upgrade included this, of course, but apparently the rest wasn't needed. So...

I did some experimenting. As I said above, it runs OK in DPup 'Stretch'; this uses libstdc++.so.6.0.22.

My own Slacko 571 - from Sailor Enceladus - a no-go. 6.0.17 in use here.
Tahrpup 605 - again, a no-go. 6.0.19 in use here.

I then looked at Xenial32. Hm. 6.0.21.... Okay; let's give it a try. Made some modifications to the portable, added the directory with Xenial's libstdc++ inside, and modified the 'plmn' launch script to include an adapted variant of the relevant line from watchdog's original, 'tweaked' LosslessCut launcher....

Code: Select all

export LD_PRELOAD="$LAUNCHDIR/libstdc++/libstdc++.so.6"

It works! However, we do need to bear in mind that where Tahr is running with its original glibc 2.19, my Slacko 571 has had battleshooter's glibc-2.20 'upgrade' installed - from its original 2.15 - so it's not really representative. I'll investigate a glibc-tweaked version, based on watchdog's 'tweaked' PaleMoon builds from a couple of years back; these use glibc219, the same as Tahr's. I'll then test it on a pristine Slacko 571, booted with "pfix=ram".

If this works OK, that'll give users of the 5-series Puppies, etc, a way to still have an up-to-date browser. Watch this space.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Glibc-tweaked PaleMoon 28.17.0 portables...

Post by mikewalsh »

Okey-dokey.

Now then; here's a pair of 'glibc-tweaked' versions of 28.17.0.

There's an 'olderpups' portable.....and a 'legacy' Pups portable.

The 'olderpups' version is designed to work with some of the recent, Woof-CE built re-spins of older Puppies....such as Slacko 571 from Sailor Enceladus, Mikeslr's Slacko 572, jrb's Precise-lite.....things of that nature. These have been built with the modern, 'modular' layout but still with an older glibc and dependencies.

The 'legacy' version is designed to work with older 5-series Puppies.....basically, anything pre-Tahrpup. Micko's 'classic' Slacko 570, Slacko 560, BK's Precise 571, Racy, Wary, etc, etc.

The only difference is in the glibc-launch script. 'Legacy' Puppies use the older /usr/X11R7/lib folder; re-spins built with Woof CE no longer do so, and find everything they require in /usr/lib.

-----------------------------------------------

Although these are using Tahr's glibc-219, Xenial's libstdc++.so.6 is in play here, because Tahr's version is too old. My own Slacko 571 from Sailor is running an uprated glibc-220, courtesy of battleshooter.....one of our community's 'unsung heroes'. However, I've tested the 'olderpups' version in a pristine Slacko 571 using pfix=ram, and it runs just fine.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to rely on y'all to try out the 'legacy' version for me, and provide some feedback. I cannot run these any longer; the UEFI firmware in this 2019 HP Pavilion desktop throws a wobbly when any older Puppy looks for 'VESA BIOS extensions', digs its heels in and point-blank refuses to have anything to do with it. So community feedback will be essential here.

You can find the 'olderpups' portable here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

.....and the 'legacy' portable here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I'm very much hoping these will prove to be useful for some of you. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

The 'legacy' version is designed to work with older 5-series Puppies.....basically, anything pre-Tahrpup. Micko's 'classic' Slacko 570, Slacko 560, BK's Precise 571, Racy, Wary, etc, etc.

I've just downloaded the " legacy" version an can confirm it works on Racy551. I have a number of question though. At various times I've "updated" things in Racy. I have glibc-2.20 and palemoon-28.7.0-glibc219tweak (which has been updated in stages to 28.16.0) installed. I assume as palemoon 28.17.0 is portable neither of these previous installs will be affected. As palemoon 28.17.0 is not now an "official" palemoon 32bit update will it update in a similar fashion to palemoon-28.7.0 or will each update have to be reinstalled?

Thanks for your work on this.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

A-ha! Ken, I was gonna drop you a PM later on today and ask if you wanted to give this a try. You've saved me the trouble.....and I'm pleased to hear it works for you. Excellent!

The glibc-220 you installed to Racy won't hurt it at all; it's backwards-compatible anyway. The portable is using its own, built-in glibc - in this case, 2.19, along with a somewhat newer libstdc++.so.6 from Xenial.

You're quite right. These are no longer "officially-supported" builds, although Steve Pusser has been building his own for quite a while now. Because of this, the updater mechanism has been dropped; no point, since there's nothing for it to connect to now. I'll be re-building these as & when Steve makes them available; I don't know how long this will continue to be the case, since I understand that the gcc build "tool-chain" is getting harder & harder to keep working for 32-bit these days, so.....keep your fingers crossed!

It'll just be a case of delete the old, replace it with the new. What will make this easier is if you move your 'profile' directory out from 'palemoon32' to a safe location, followed by symlinking it back into 'palemoon32'. Whenever you delete/replace in future, all you then need to do is to re-symlink your 'profile' directory back to its usual location again, and.....off you go.

Like I said, I'm glad it works for you. I can't test these legacy Puppies anymore, because the UEFI firmware on this thing won't play ball with anything prior to Tahrpup.....even set to 'Legacy' mode.

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

You're quite right. These are no longer "officially-supported" builds, although Steve Pusser has been building his own for quite a while now. Because of this, the updater mechanism has been dropped; no point, since there's nothing for it to connect to now.

Yep, I kind of answered my own question as I could not find an updater in any of the drop down menus.

I'll be re-building these as & when Steve makes them available; I don't know how long this will continue to be the case, since I understand that the gcc build "tool-chain" is getting harder & harder to keep working for 32-bit these days, so.....keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for being prepared to do this. I think having a usable, up to date, 32bit browser is essential to keep these old 5 series puppies going and who knows how long it will last. Racy is still one of my all time favorites and I still get a surprising amount of use from it. I'm posting from it now using your Palemoon 28.17.0 portable.

I can't test these legacy Puppies anymore, because the UEFI firmware on this thing won't play ball with anything prior to Tahrpup.....even set to 'Legacy' mode.

All my machines are what you might call old. The one I use in my shed is a 32bit machine. The one I'm on now is 64 bit but still not very well speced though it did have win7 on it when I got It for £20. May be you could treat yourself to a "new" old machine.
I did try your non-legacy version in Dpup Stretch 7.5 but it did not open. Not sure how Dpup Stretch 7.5 fits in terms of old/new puppies but I think it is 32bit only so I thought it might count as "old". I didn't spend much time with it but I'll run it in a terminal and see what it outputs.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Here's the output of running the non-legacy version in a terminal in Dpup Stretch 7.5 32bit.

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable/palemoon32/launch: line 5: 10795 Segmentation fault      $LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path $LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/lib:$LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/usr/lib:$LAUNCHDIR/glibc219/libstdc++:/usr/lib:$LAUNCHDIR $LAUNCHDIR/palemoon "$@"
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

As you might know I understand very little of this but I know you do. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ken.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

keniv wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:58 pm

@mikewalsh

You're quite right. These are no longer "officially-supported" builds, although Steve Pusser has been building his own for quite a while now. Because of this, the updater mechanism has been dropped; no point, since there's nothing for it to connect to now.

Yep, I kind of answered my own question as I could not find an updater in any of the drop down menus.

I'll be re-building these as & when Steve makes them available; I don't know how long this will continue to be the case, since I understand that the gcc build "tool-chain" is getting harder & harder to keep working for 32-bit these days, so.....keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for being prepared to do this. I think having a usable, up to date, 32bit browser is essential to keep these old 5 series puppies going and who knows how long it will last. Racy is still one of my all time favorites and I still get a surprising amount of use from it. I'm posting from it now using your Palemoon 28.17.0 portable.

I can't test these legacy Puppies anymore, because the UEFI firmware on this thing won't play ball with anything prior to Tahrpup.....even set to 'Legacy' mode.

All my machines are what you might call old. The one I use in my shed is a 32bit machine. The one I'm on now is 64 bit but still not very well speced though it did have win7 on it when I got It for £20. May be you could treat yourself to a "new" old machine.
I did try your non-legacy version in Dpup Stretch 7.5 but it did not open. Not sure how Dpup Stretch 7.5 fits in terms of old/new puppies but I think it is 32bit only so I thought it might count as "old". I didn't spend much time with it but I'll run it in a terminal and see what it outputs.

Regards,

Ken.

DpupStretch is quite up to date. Definitely not in the old category.

keniv

Post by keniv »

If DpupStretch is up to date could I simply install the .deb?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The .deb installation should work. I've downloaded the tarballs for Firefox and Palemoon directly from their homepage a while ago and made sfs files. I don't install stuff. DpupStretch runs all the new browsers OOTB as far as I know.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Thanks for that. I noticed that Mike posted a link to the.deb about the third post in the thread. Might try with pfix=ram just in case.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ken, you should find this one works:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HnnwHm ... sp=sharing

This is the first attempt I made at 28.17.0, and I was in DPup 'Stretch' at the time. This one doesn't need all the glibc stuff; it's a straight-forward build, and should work OOTB.

Let us know what happens, please..!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the link to the Dpup Stretch version of palemoon 28.17.0 portable. I've downloaded and installed it and am posting from it now. As you suggested I move the profile folder out of the legacy version and system linked it back. I couldn't think of a reason why I couldn't use the same profile for the Dpup Stretch version so I system linked it back to this version after renaming the original profile folder to profileorig in case anything went wrong. However, both versions are working using the same profile and unless there's a good reason not to do this I'll leave it as is but will remove the folder I renamed to profileorig. It strikes me that the above might not be very clear so I hope it's OK.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Nah, I know just where you're coming from. I share profiles between multiple browsers myself.

For instance:-

• 32- and 64-bit versions of the same release of FF-esr share a profile

• Ditto for different arches of the same release of FF-Quantum

• Ditto for different arches of the same release of Iron

• Ditto for different arches of the same release of Vivaldi

• Ditto for different arches of the same release of Pale Moon

.....etc, etc. I think you get the picture, yes?

For the Chromium 'clones', everything in the profiles is 'shared' with the exception of the WideVine stuff; it's the only item that is architecture-specific.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working for you. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike I'm sorry to say I have another problem. I decided to make a .desktop entry and make 28.17.0 the default browser. This worked well with Racy but not with DpupStretch. In Racy I called the menu entry file palemoonport.desktop. I did it by manually editing the existing palemoon.desktop file. Here it is.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Palemoonport
Icon=/usr/share/icons/mozicon128.png
Comment=Palemoon web browser
Exec=/mnt/home/PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable_legacy/LAUNCH
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet
GenericName=Palemoon web browser

I used the default application chooser to make 28.17.0 the default browser. Here it is.

#!/bin/sh
exec /mnt/home/PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable_legacy/LAUNCH "$@"

Both of the above work.
Please note that the paths to LAUNCH in both of these files start with /mnt/home/.
This is not the case with DpupStretch. Here is the the palemoonport.desktop file I made for DpupStretch.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Palemoon Portable
Comment=Browse the Internet
Exec=/initrd/mnt/dev_save/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH
Icon=/usr/share/icons/mozicon128.png
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
NoDisplay=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet-browser;
GenericName=Palemoon Portable
MimeType=

This works but I don't understand the path shown above. Basically I have a hdd split into two partitions. sda1 is formatted ntfs and sda2 as ext4. All my puppy's are manual frugal installs on sda1. Both Racy and DpupStretch are 32bit and on this partition and both have save files. I have save folders for a couple of modern 64bit puppy's and 64bit BusterDog on sda2. When I click on sda1 in Racy it sees it as /mnt/home/. When I click on sda1 with DpupStretch it sees the same partition as /initrd/mnt/dev_save/. Using this path in the .desktop file works in DpupStretch as a menu entry for 28.17.0 but does not work in the case of making it the default browser. With palemoon 28.16.0 as the default browser the code is

#!/bin/sh
exec palemoon "$@"

With 28.17.0 the code I've tried is

#!/bin/sh
exec /initrd/mnt/dev_save/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH "$@"

I've also tried

#!/bin/sh
exec /initrd/mnt/dev_save/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH

and

#!/bin/sh
exec palemoonport "$@"

None of the above worked with 28.17.0 so I'm now stuck. I'd welcome some help with this .

Regards,

Ken.

Edit: Now have default browser working (ie 28.17.0 is default browser) in DpupStretch but still don't understand the /mnt/home/ versus /initrd/mnt/dev_save/.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hallo, Ken.

Mm. You know, you're not the only one to notice this. From what I can make out, this seems to be 'standard behaviour' in all recent, Woof-CE-built Puppies; instead of seeing the 'base' layer as /mnt/home, they all now see it as simply a layer of the union aufs file system. Like you, I, too, first noticed this with Stretch.

The advice I'll give you is this; despite being seen by the system as /initrd/mnt/dev_save, it's still /mnt/home! Both $PATHs point to the exact same location.....and /mnt/home still exists. It's still there.

Did you actually try it with /mnt/home before using the /initrd/mnt/dev_save $PATH? I'm betting if you modify it back to /mnt/home, it'll work just fine..... Despite them using this different 'label' nowadays, I still use the 'old' way of doing things, and to date, it's given me no issues whatsoever.

Give it a try. Let us know what happens, please.

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

/initrd/mnt/dev_save is only /mnt/home if you have a savefile/folder.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 pm

/initrd/mnt/dev_save is only /mnt/home if you have a savefile/folder.

.....which most folks DO have (though not all). But, yes; I take your point.

However; why is it that this location on older Puppies always showed the actual $PATH (e.g., a flash drive, one partition, formatted Ext2/3/4; say, /mnt/sdb1?), whereas modern Puppies always, without fail, seem to show it as a location in the union aufs system?

This, to me, shows that some of the code at Woof-CE has been re-written slightly....apparently, giving Puppy's aufs system priority in the 'naming' scheme.

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Savefile/folder in use > /mnt/home is a link to /initrd/mnt/dev_save (new Puppys seem to use only /initrd/mnt/dev_save)
No savefile/folder, pfix=copy/ram > puppy partition indicated as a drive like /mnt/sda3, no /mnt/home
No savefile/folder, pfix=nocopy > puppy partition is /initrd/mnt/dev_save, no /mnt/home (I've seen an exception with Tahr where it's /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 in this scenario if I remember correctly!!!)

Last edited by amethyst on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 pm

Did you actually try it with /mnt/home before using the /initrd/mnt/dev_save $PATH? I'm betting if you modify it back to /mnt/home, it'll work just fine..... Despite them using this different 'label' nowadays, I still use the 'old' way of doing things, and to date, it's given me no issues whatsoever.

No I didn't try /mnt/home before using the /initrd/mnt/dev_save with DpupStretch but I've just tried replacing /initrd/mnt/dev_save with /mnt/home in the defaultbrowser script and it does work.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:45 am

Savefile/folder in use > /mnt/home is a link to /initrd/mnt/dev_save (new Puppys seem to use only /initrd/mnt/dev_save)
No savefile/folder, pfix=copy/ram > puppy partition indicated as a drive like /mnt/sda3, no /mnt/home
No savefile/folder, pfix=nocopy > puppy partition is /initrd/mnt/dev_save, no /mnt/home (I've seen an exception with Tahr where it's /initrd/pup_ro2 in this scenario if I remember correctly!!!)

Just booted DpupStretch will pfix=ram so no savefile/folder. On clicking on sda1 get /mnt/sda1 and not /mnt/home as you say above (please see image). Quite confusing for someone like myself who is no expert and only knows enough to use puppy and sometime not even that, however, I have learned something today.

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
click-sda1.png
click-sda1.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

keniv wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:50 am
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 pm

No I didn't try /mnt/home before using the /initrd/mnt/dev_save with DpupStretch but I've just tried replacing /initrd/mnt/dev_save with /mnt/home in the defaultbrowser script and it does work.

Regards,

Ken.

Hah! Thought so....

Nice one. Well done!

Mike. ;)

Clif McIrvin

Post by Clif McIrvin »

Just found this thread -- still trying to run Rerwin's sulu-002; but it seems that I'm going to have to give up because of all the websites that won't support old browsers.

Anyway -- today had downloaded tharpup 6.0.6 and your 28.17.0 portable loads and fires just fine!

I'm on a Dell P4 2G RAM

(Didn't solve my banking issue -- next step is get on the phone w/ my bank - we'll see where that goes.)

Also tried to run it from sulu-002 .... nope.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clif McIrvin :-

Mm. Lupu, eh? I didn't think anyone was still running it anymore, because browsers ARE the big issue with it now. And to MY way of thinking, an OS that can't get on-line is a bit useless these days...

Have you tried the glibc-'tweaked' version of this? I was using an older glibc-tweaked release of Pale Moon, running under Lupu, 18-24 months back, but I wouldn't like to say that this newest version will still do so. You can only try it. I can no longer do so, because the UEFI firmware in this new Pavilion tower turns its nose up at anything pre-Tahrpup; I've lost access to many of my old favourite Puppies!

Download available from here (direct link):-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UZomNh ... sp=sharing

Let us know what happens, please.

Mike. ;)

Clif McIrvin

Post by Clif McIrvin »

@mikewalsh
I've been running palemoon-27.6.1-p4-glibc219tweak.pet - that's what broke on my banking site.
28.17.0 gives me the same error message I get with 27.6.1.
I'll download your newer version and see what happens:

# ./LAUNCH
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /initrd/mnt/dev_save/sulu+/PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable_legacy/palemoon32/libxul.so:
libxcb-shm.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

rox tells me libxul.so is present in the specified location - I kind of expected that from what I'd recently read in the forum.

However - I tried your Iron 32 bit portable on thar 6.0.6 and my bank likes it!
I used to run Iron on lupu; but switched to PM back when 18 quit working.

Looks like I may be moving to tharpup -- that seems to be a good fit for my hardware. (Posting this from tharpup)
Thanks! for your efforts helping to keep 32 bit browsers going!

Last edited by Clif McIrvin on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Yah; banks are slowly getting more & more fussy with browsers. They're also steadily requiring multiple forms of ID & logging-in, too....

You do realise that current Iron isn't really related to the one you used to use, yes? That was almost a life-time away.....and a totally different code-base, too.

Tahrpup's a decent Puppy. It was the first one I used full-time when it was released in November 2014; it's pretty stable, although getting a wee bit long in the tooth now. I'm presently posting from its successor, a recently-installed 32-bit 'frugal' of Xenialpup 7.5.....and even that's only got around 4 months life left in it. Tahrpup is nearly 2 years past EOL already, yet plenty of folks still like it (even me, though newer software is becoming a bit of a pain to get running these days.)

I mostly run 64-bit Pups now, though I like to keep a couple of 32-bitzers around; partly for nostalgia, partly because I still think they run that little bit faster than 64-bitzers.....and partly because it makes it easier to put together 32-bit packages on the odd occasions when I still do so.

If Iron-portable does what you want, that's great. I produce both 32- and 64-bit packages when I build them; I'm a long-term Chrome user - since day one in 2008 in fact - and with Google having dropped 32-bit Chrome on Linux around 4 years ago, Iron is the closest equivalent to it that is still produced for 32-bit Linux.

And i still like my 32-bit Puppies.....

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh and@Clif McIrvin
Guess who likes Lucid 5287 and still has a version running on an old p3 Toshiba laptop. I had a copy of the iso for the 2017 version of lupusuper4 that I downloaded from Mainline Puppy Linux Distros>Legacy on this forum. I made a manual frugal install then tried Mikes PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable_legacy but got the same output from running in a terminal as Clif. I the tried watchdog's post on the old forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1035893 and downloaded and installed palemoon-28.9.0.2-glibc219tweak.pet: but this did not work either. I thought this odd as I'd this running until recently and in fact it had updated over time to 28.16.0. I found I also had installed Lupu-palemoon-28.8.0-deps.pet. I still had a copy of this and installed it. I now have palemoon 28.9.0 running in running in lucid 5287 and I'm currently posting from it,however, it won't update to 28.16.0. Pity Mikes PaleMoon32+_glibc219-portable_legacy doesn't work. I can't be the only person that still likes Lucid5287 (perhaps I am). I am, however, still very grateful it works in Racy.

Regards,

Ken.

Clif McIrvin

Post by Clif McIrvin »

I think I had some vague notion that the world was moving on and leaving me behind, yes. ;)

Until I give up on this box and get a 64 bit machine I'll keep depending on guys like you that keep this old stuff alive.

Many moons ago I downloaded xenial 7.5 at Rerwin's suggestion, iirc. At the time it wouldn't even run ... many months later I stumbled onto the realization that the problem was my 512 MB RAM and not even a swap file. Creating a swap file resolved a lot of the PaleMoon crashes I was experiencing. Eventually I purchased some memory and beefed my box up to it's 2 GB max. When I tried xenial again I gave up because at the time I was unsuccessful at finding browsers that my bank liked. I suppose I must have done a better job of searching for solutions this time. ;)

I'm trying tahrpup because of what I read at http://wikka.puppylinux.com/WhatPuppyLinuxIsBestForYou. So far, so good.

@keniv Hmm. I may try that deps pet and see what happens.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”