Will an EasyOS usb stick run on different PCs?

Moderator: BarryK

dellus

Will an EasyOS usb stick run on different PCs?

Post by dellus »

Can a single EasyOS usb stick be used on a different pc without issues, or does it get tied to the first run pc in it's settings?
The background: I have an elderly aunt living far away. She has an older laptop, originally with Win7, and got Win10 installed on it by someone. Now she complains it has become so slow!
I want to send her an EasyOS usb to try out, as there is a german out of the box version. She would not be able to set up a Puppy with german addon and save file/folder.
But I would want to test that usb on my pc, of course. Will that usb stick then still run the same one her laptop?

BarryK

Re: Will an EasyOS usb stick run on different PCs?

Post by BarryK »

EasyOS is especially designed so that the usb-stick can bootup on different computers.

This is achieved by "hardware profiling". Do a search with google:

"hardware profiling" site:bkhome.org/news

Includes these hits:

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/file-etc ... filed.html

https://bkhome.org/news/202110/fixing-h ... izard.html

https://bkhome.org/news/202110/hardware ... ading.html

It is still not perfect, so consider to be a work-in-progress.

As far as I know, EasyOS is the only Linux distribution with hardware profiling.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

To further clarify, Puppy Linux also has hardware profiling, but achieved differently.

In the case of Puppy, a "save-file" or "save-folder" is created on each computer, so you would setup the hardware of each computer as required.

Easy has a "save-folder"; however, it is on the USB-stick, so you take it with you. This has one advantage, that the drives on the computer don't have to be mounted, can be completely ignored -- and Easy even has a "Copy session to RAM & disable drives" that completely turns off the internal drives -- so you are running completely isolated from the host computer.

You are also taking everything away with you, leaving no trace.

As Easy's "save-folder" is on the USB-stick, it requires all that hardware profiling, to detect what computer it is booting on, and remember previous settings for that hardware.

dellus

Post by dellus »

Thanks for your explanations.
Sounds good, so I will give it a go and see if old auntie can handle it, with my assistance via telephone.

dellus

rudyt

Post by rudyt »

It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. You'll need her laptop in order to create a savefile with her hardware profile.

EasyOS - Frugal install on Dell laptop in shared partition

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I don't use EasyOS yet. But I just posted a related topic: viewtopic.php?t=5878

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

LinuxSlantUser

Post by LinuxSlantUser »

If you haven't tried TeamViewer to help your aunt, I would suggest you give it a try. I’ve been using it for about six years to help friends and family with PC questions and fixes. It’s free for individual use. You have the person that you’re going to help, start up Team Viewer. They give you the unique ID number for their PC and a password which changes regularly over the phone, you plug those values into the TeamViewer app on your PC and you can see their screen, control their mouse with your mouse, send keyboard commands with your keyboard. It’s very easy to use and you can run TeamViewer on a Linux PC and control a Windows PC or a Mac, you can even use an Android phone to control a Linux or Windows or Mac, although it’s quite cumbersome to control a PC from a smartphone. There’s also a “TeamViewer QuickSupport Optimized for instant remote desktop support, this small customer module does not require installation or administrator rights — simply download, double click, and give the provided ID and password to your supporter.” I haven’t tried the QuickSupport module but it sounds quite useful. I have no connection to the TeamViewer company but it’s worked quite well for me and might help you support your aunt.

Return to “EasyOS”