how to install ruby and perl ?

For discussions about programming, and for programming questions and advice

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ahmad-reza

how to install ruby and perl ?

Post by Ahmad-reza »

Hello :mrgreen:
How do I install Ruby and Perl on Puppy linux ?

user1234

Re: how to install ruby and perl ?

Post by user1234 »

First of all, which version of puppy? Secondly, I am not sure, but I think they must be found in the devx.sfs of the puppy.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Ahmad-reza

Post by Ahmad-reza »

Puppy Ver. : focal puppy 9.5
And , This code didn't work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ruby-full
user1234

Post by user1234 »

Ahmad-reza wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:25 am

Puppy Ver. : focal puppy 9.5
And , This code didn't work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ruby-full

Note that apt-get is not present in puppy. Rather pkg is present.

Also note that puppy runs already as root, so no need of sudo either.

Also, also note that devx.sfs is the file which contains gcc, g++ and likes (compilers).

Also, also, also note that devx.sfs can be installed in puppy from Quickpet application which you can find in Menu > Setup > quickpet.

And yet another thing to note, that after downloading devx.sfs, you'll be prompted to install it (actually the contents will not be installed, just the contents will be 'available' to puppy, as that's how puppy is designed). So install it.

And yet another, another thing to note that in case after installing devx.sfs (actually loading, but the button will display install) you don't find ruby, then please post here, because I am not sure if ruby is found there (but most probably it must be there).

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Ok, so I thought it might be good to check if ruby is there in devx.sfs or not. I am afraid, it ain't there. You can rather install ruby from PPM (a.k.a. Puppy Package Manager). You can find PPM from Menu > Setup > Puppy Package Manager. If you haven't already, then update the PPM database.

To update: There is a button on the top right for showing tooltip text as Configuring Package Manager on hover. Click it and then you will see the tab for updating database (don't worry if my desktop looks a bit different than yours, I have just customized it and am on fossapup64)-

Step 1 | Start PPM
Step 1 | Start PPM
2.jpg (147.34 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Step 2 | Find tab in PPM
Step 2 | Find tab in PPM
1.jpg (139.36 KiB) Viewed 359 times

After update, you can search for ruby in PPM. You can install ruby now.

Note that if you want to install some development packages for ruby, but are not listed in PPM, then most probably you'll have to select the dev (means development) option you can find at the bottom-left corner of the PPM window. You'll be able to see options- exe (executables, i.e. core programs), dev (additional development files), doc (documentation files), nls (native language support). You can select the options as per your needs (they are like filters for the search results).

For most of the compilers, devx.sfs is the place to look for (though ruby is not found there).

Return to “Programming”