Audacity 2.2.2.

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mike3

Audacity 2.2.2.

Post by Mike3 »

So I wanna install Audacity 2.2.2. But there is no pup or slackware 14.1 version of it.

So how can I get it to work? Is it possible, or are there compatabiliy issues.

Would I have to download the sourcecode and compile it and make it a pup or something myself to get it to work?

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taersh

Re: Audacity 2.2.2. on Puppy Linux 6.9.9.9, Slacko64.

Post by taersh »

Type audatity into a terminal and hit Enter.
There will be messages then about probably missing dependencies.
Post a screenshot of the terminal output or post the complete terminal output as text.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

re: Slacko64
Mike3 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 pm So I wanna install Audacity 2.2.2, on Puppy Linux. But there is no pup or slackware 14.1 version of it. There is a slackware 14.2 version available but it doesn't work (won't start when klicking on it even).

So how can I get it to work? Is it possible, or are there compatabiliy issues.

Would I have to download the sourcecode and compile it and make it a pup or something myself to get it to work?
We'll worry about running the 14.2 version in 14.1 --requires installing libs, creating symbolic links-- if the following doesn't work.

https://pkgs.org/ is your friend. :) Type the name of the application or file you want in its search box. Scroll-down to your operating system (or the closest match to it). Left-Click a likely link to a repository. That eventually lead me here, https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.1/slackon ... k.txz.html Under the heading "Download", Select the entire URL reading "https://packages.slackonly.com/pub/pack ... _slack.txz". You may be able to Right-Click "Open link in tab", otherwise copy and paste into a new tab. The txz will be downloaded.

In situations such as the above, when you reach a likely file on an 'alien repository' also look to see if there's a section under the Heading of "Requires", "Dependencies" or the like. If there are dependencies, at a minimum you'll have to download and install those. After downloading and installing an application, file browse to its binary, Right-Click it and select ListDD from the popup menu. Applications are created for specific operating systems. A puppy which is binary-compatible with an operating system --such as Slacko64 to Slackware64-- is not identical to that other system and may lack libraries/dependencies the other system had builtin. ListDynamicDependencies (ListDD) produces a report regarding what an application expects to be on a system. It's "Missing" tab at the bottom just reports what libraries are missing.

Fallback option: if you have to resort to the 14.2 version, ListDD and https://pkgs.org/ again come into play: but in reverse order. Install the 14.2 package. Then have ListDD determine what's missing. Use pkgs.org's Search box to download likely libraries. The libraries you find may not be exactly the ones missing. If you have to, download a later version --has a higher number,. e.g. so.2 and so.1.2 are higher than so.1.0. Place the downloaded library where your system expects to find the missing library. Then open a terminal in that folder and create a symbolic link to the library giving the symbolic link the name your system sought. The bash code is as follows:

ln -s EXACT-NAME-OF-LIBRARY-PRESENT NAME-OF-LIBRARY-SOUGHT.

A restart-x is required to test. Sometimes a Save and Reboot.

A word of advice: In using "alien" applications and files, the further you go from your system the lower the chances are of being successful.

Some more words of advice: (a) Backup your SaveFile/Folder; (b) Consider building an SFS rather than doing a direct install. You can probably ignore (a) if you do (b) as neither the alien files you download nor the SFS you build are installed. See "Convert and combine different packages into SFS", http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922 for the application and instructions.
Mike3

Re: Audacity 2.2.2.

Post by Mike3 »

So it still doesn't work.

I did the terminal thing and this came up:

# audacity
Audacity: error while loading shared libraries: liblilv-0.so.0: cannot open
shared object file: no such file or directory.

I took a photo but I dont know how to put it in here but the text is exactly as I wrote.

So I checked through the PPM and there was no lblilv to install. Also there was no liblilv for slackware on pkgs.org.

I allready installed the 14.1 version (version 2.1.2.) directly from the PPM and it works no problem (well not with jack but thats another thread).

I will try to install all the dependencies listed also for the version 2.2.2.

Also I went to the bin file did the right click thing but didn't get an ListDD option. I just went to /mnt/home/usr/bin, rightclicked on the Audacity bin file and the option aint there. Is there a way of doing it from terminal? Or did I do it incorrectly?

It would be cool if someone did like a ready package maybe that includes all dependencies and makes it work with jack. It is the most common recording app in Linux I'm quite sure. Maybe make it an appimage, would that work?

So do I need to find the deb package or similar for the libliv thing and make it a sfs or something with the PaDS app? Are sfs files easy to install in puppy slacko 64 6.9.9.9? Is there a description on how to use sfs files somewhere?

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike3 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:18 pm...
Also I went to the bin file did the right click thing but didn't get an ListDD option. I just went to /mnt/home/usr/bin, rightclicked on the Audacity bin file and the option aint there. Is there a way of doing it from terminal? Or did I do it incorrectly?...
Sorry, it didn't occur to me that it may not be on your system. You can find a link to it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 028#802028
Mike3

Re: Audacity 2.2.2.

Post by Mike3 »

Is there a description somewhere on how the PaDS app works? And a description on how to use sfs files, have em up and running? Do you just click on the sfs to start the app like with an appimage?

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taersh

Post by taersh »

Mike3 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:50 pm Is there a description somewhere on how the PaDS app works? And a description on how to use sfs files, have em up and running? Do you just click on the sfs to start the app like with an appimage?
If clicking a .sfs another GUI appears wherein to choose if you want to load it and/or to open it to watch its contents. Can't recall atm, but it could also say "Install" instead of "Load". However, it doesn't install anything. SFS files can be unloaded after loading with the SFS Load program in menu Setup. If you click to load it another GUI appears after loading the .sfs to run the program from such .sfs. If the .sfs includes multiple programs the GUI will show all of them to make a selection of which program to run.

Usually, after the .sfs is loaded you should find new entries in the menus. Dependent on what programs are included in the .sfs.

To use the PaDS program just copy all .pet, .tar.gz etc.pp. into a directory. Then right-click that directory and choose "Combine to SFS" or similar. I'm the developer/inventor of PaDS. :thumbup:

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Return to “Users”