Audacity connecting to Jack?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mike3

Audacity connecting to Jack?

Post by Mike3 »

How does one get Audacity to connect and recognize Jack in in Puppy Linux?

I know it's possible

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taersh

Re: Audacity connecting to Jack?

Post by taersh »

You'll need to select JACK Audio in Audacity. Audacity uses Port-Audio. It will connect automatically as soon as Play is pressed or Record is activated. JACK needs to run first, before starting Audacity.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 1283 times

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

I did all this. I installed pulse audio (pulseaudio-9.0) before I installed Audacity. I started jack before I started Audacity and put on the monitor and pressed play.

There is no JACK option like in the picture you posted, the only available options are: ALSA & OSS.

And when I press play nothing happens and when I press record it sais:

Error while opening sound device. Please check the recording device settings and the project sample rate.

Also it doesn't work to run qjackctl and jack-audio-connection kit. When I install the apps half of my music apps stop working. It sais it's because I don't have the libdb-4.8.so thing installed. Will I need to get qjackctl & jack-audio-connection-kit & libdb-4.8 working in order for Audacity to work with jack.

Also the libdb thing isn't available for slackware at pkgs.org or in the PPM either.
taersh

Post by taersh »

Hi.

1. Port-Audio is NOT Pulse-Audio!
2. The JACK option needs to have JACK installed and running. Otherwise there will be no JACK option.
3. Some programs don't work with JACK. If you want to use Audacity just don't use these other programs or install its additional files/plugins to work with JACK. E.g. ALSA-Player and VLC have such additional plugins to work with JACK. Clementine won't work without JACK. I'm running these programs almost exclusively under JACK.
4. Yes, you'll need to install all missing dependencies / libraries to run QJackCtl and JACK to use Audacity under JACK.

Though, Audacity should work at least under ALSA.

Besides of this and from my point of view, Puppy Slacko is crap when it comes to have it running as Music Studio - don't like it at all!

I would recommend to use BionicPup. Either 32bit or 64bit. I'm using my own build of BionicPup64, named ArtStudio64. It's created to be a full featured Audio, Graphics and Video Studio. I do have a remastered version of Bionicup32 almost equally setup like my ArtStudio64. Both are working very well!

Also you should use a real time Kernel to avoid XRuns and to have Audio & MIDI synchronized in songs of long duration.

My Music:

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I believe Slacko 6.9.9.9 is based on Slackware 14.2 as it was intended to become Slacko 7.x
14.1 packages will usually work but tend to be older, Slacko 6.3.0 was 14.1 and Slacko 5.7 was 14.0
Compiling from source can take a bit of extra work, but has several advantages. You are matching against the existing libraries in your system or adding all the correct needed libraries as you build and install the dependencies, so it is much more likely to all work properly in the end.
The libdb library is part of Oracle Berkeley DB and I think Slackware don't routinely include it. Debian/Ubuntu do so you might be able to install one of those as a workaround. You can grab source code and compile in Slacko or often you can disable libdb in the build of certain programs, so the dependency on libdb will not be there. As others have said, all the components of jack will need to be installed and operational for jack to work. It is not normally included as standard in official Puppy distributions.
Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

Is there a good description somewhere on how to build and compile source code and how to check dependencies.

What apps do I need to compile these kindsa apps sourcecode and where do I find the source code (is it at github)?

When building from sourcecode, do I need to do something extra to make it work with Puppy Linux slacko?

Or is that only to make pups to share and stuff.

Is it different to build and compile for Puppy than for debian or ubuntu or is the process the same?

I now installed portaudio also and it still doesn't see the jack system and won't connect with it.

It sure works with ALSA though, always had that working.

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

It has been a long time since I compiled audacity, but the answer is that you just need to load the devx and then follow the instructions which you will find in the source code tarball in the ReadMe and INSTALL files. Having said that I was glancing at the 2.2.2 source code just now and must confess it is probably not the ideal project for someone who is inexperienced in compiling. If you are patient and persistent it is all there though if you want to take the time to work through it.
Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

Well I used to do lotsa programming and compiling, but yes I'm rusty and also new to doing in puppy and the current linux environment so any help is great.

Is there a good book or description online or a pdf on how to compile and stuff in linux? And in general software development

So where do I find the ReadMe and INSTALL files for Audacity 2.2.2?

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I just used a search engine and found a github page and some others.
The 2.2.2 tarball is here:-
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/ar ... 2.2.tar.gz
Just extract it and the files are there in the extracted bundle.
Other older and newer releases are here:-
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/tags
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Slacko 6.9.9.9 64bit
I compiled Audacity 2.2.2 with jack support.
As per the instructions, you have to compile wxWidgets 3.0.2 first
For jack support you have to add jack2 (jack1 does NOT seem to work with this audacity version)
I compiled jack2 from source. It might be possible to add it via PPM, not sure, didn't try that way, but jack2 must be installed before compiling audacity otherwise audacity assumes you are not using jack and it builds without it (alsa and oss only).
Anyway, audacity compiled successfully.
You must have the jackd daemon running when you start audacity, then the option to select JACK Audio Connection Kit appears.
Attachments
audacity-jack.jpg
audacity-jack.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
garnet

Post by garnet »

Why do you want audacity to connect to Jack anyway, if you don't yet have Jack installed? :?:
What do you wish it could do, that a normal connect using alsa or oss can't do? :?:

Hope that helps ^_^

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

That's cool.

did you install the dependencies first?

What compiler did you use?

Could you share the compiled apps, would it work for me to run it if you email the compiled files or something?

Last edited by Mike3 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I can temporarily upload the .pet package for you, but please let me know when you have grabbed it as it is experimental and non-standard so I don't really want to leave it available as a general package. The jack2 (audio connection kit) and wXwidgets files are all included in the package so it should be just install and go.
WARNING though, if you have already installed other packages relating to jack such as qjackctl you may find that these clash with the package. So this is all a case of experimentation. When I looked at qjackctl in PPM it was wanting to install a huge amount of other dependencies, but I guess you need it to be able to control jack. I only tested this audacity in a fresh boot with nothing added and jackd was started from command line.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/audacity ... -s14.2.pet
taersh

Post by taersh »

You don't need to use/install QJackCtl.
Instead make use of Cadence.
https://kx.studio/Repositories:Applications

My Music:

garnet

Post by garnet »

Mike3 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:52 pm @garnet; I wanna use some other audio apps together and at the same time as Audacity. And the other apps use jack so then I need it to work.
Okay :D Then I suppose you can make use alsa-jack bridge? All you need is snd-aloop (alsa loopback device) and alsa_in (from jack package, should already be there). Create a loop device ("modprobe snd-aloop pcm_substreams=1"), start jack, and run the bridge ("alsa_in -j bridge -d hw:Loopback,1") and configure your audacity to output to "plughw:Loopback,0". For a more complete instructions including being able to record from jack streams, please see https://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopb ... ack_bridge.

Hope that helps ^_^

Return to “Users”