Studio 13.37 3.3

Moderator: Forum moderators

l0wt3ch

Studio 13.37 3.3

Post by l0wt3ch »

3.3 and assorted files

All most people really need is the 3.3-unzip-to-usb-stick.zip file, which you just extract to a USB stick. If you intend to compile software at a later date, also download devx_3.3.sfs. There's a bug in the wallpaper changer due to a last minute change in the default file manager; workaround is to open the image by clicking and then choosing "set as wallpaper" in the right-click menu.

3.2 and 3.1 are here but the devx files are missing. I think someone out there has them uploaded?
taersh

Re: Studio 13.37 3.3

Post by taersh »

Hi!

:D :thumbup: 8-)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

l0wt3ch

Post by l0wt3ch »

Hey! :thumbup2: :D 8-)
geo_c

Booted up 1337.3.3 Love it. Then...

Post by geo_c »

Reaper under wine ran perfectly and I was a happy camper. Started putting my email accounts into the system. I noticed sometime later that udev was hogging up 20-30% of the cpu. I looked on-line and apparently this is an issue in ubuntu for some people. It's a bit over my head and was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue. Is there a workaround?

Running a Dell i5

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Hi @geo_c
So I used this puppy as my main os for about a year on several different machines, one being a dell i5 (optiplex).
I never saw such a drain in my use ( at least nothing consistent )...
I always had Pwidgets going (conky) to keep an eye on it.
I never used reaper but I did use wine for other windows plugins.

I have since moved on to my own audio puppy project and have handed the dell over to my son, but it would be possible to run it there again to test some configuration... although it seems more likely you are having a "unique" issue.

Are you using some usb/firewire hardware in your setup? Anything else plugged in that could stress udev?

ciento

Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Hey! :thumbup2: :D 8-)

Hi, hope your feet are warm, your pulse strong, your wallet full,
and your mind overflowing with 0's and 1's placed in effective combinations!
Cheers

geo_c

Re: Studio 13.37 3.3 over 1337.3.0

Post by geo_c »

puddlemoon,

I've used the Studio distros since the very first Puppystudio way back. I never had a udev issue with 1337.0. I also never got Reaper working on 3.0 (but I probably busted wine at some point), so I was jazzed about 3.3. I didn't notice the udev issue when I first ran it. But this particular Dell i5 tends to overheat and shut itself down, which it did at some point, and so I started watching more closely.

I have Fossapup really tweaked well and installed everywhere, I'm doing music lessons on zoom and the works. I also have Musescore 3 installed and running nicely in Fossa as well. But, if I could migrate my multi-track projects to Linux, my divorce from Windows might some day be complete. It's hard not to use Presonus Studio One in windoze. It's just the best, most user-friendly, memory efficient audio package I've ever encountered. I only tried it because it came free with a stereo interface I bought, and it really amazed me. It's never crashed, doesn't lag, just does everything it supposed to. Still, I would love to format my hard drives and never use Windows again. At the very least I may only boot up windows off line very soon to run Studio One, though I really like Ardour and Reaper, and I'd sacrifice some of the splendor of Studio One to be completely open source.

puddlemoon wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi @geo_c
So I used this puppy as my main os for about a year on several different machines, one being a dell i5 (optiplex).
I never saw such a drain in my use ( at least nothing consistent )...
I always had Pwidgets going (conky) to keep an eye on it.
I never used reaper but I did use wine for other windows plugins.

I have since moved on to my own audio puppy project and have handed the dell over to my son, but it would be possible to run it there again to test some configuration... although it seems more likely you are having a "unique" issue.

Are you using some usb/firewire hardware in your setup? Anything else plugged in that could stress udev?

Cleveland

Post by Cleveland »

I have been using Reaper since 2005.. or thereabout. I have oh so many questions for this thread, where do I begin. My main recording tower is a windows box, always has been for years because of VST support. I have never successfully had plugins like Amplitube, Bias FX, iZotope, Melodyne, Harrison Mixbus, Fabfilter EQ, Waves etc. ever working with a linux box no matter the configuration. I have tried combinations of wine or wine like programs, I have tried combinations with Carla, Jack, all of it and never got a VST capable DAW in linux. I would step away from Windows in a heart beat and so would MANY others if there was a way to circumvent this big problem. Are you telling me that you've figured this out, or are you just packaging a linux version of stock reaper in a linux build? Because Reaper is now publicly available for Linux with a complete library of .SO files for it's basic plugins, no wine required. @l0wt3ch

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

what happened to Studio? cannot acces the files?
kind regards Gnimmelf

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The developer removed it for download.
He turned it into a pay to use product and tried to offer it that way.
Got upset by not much activity, by people willing to pay for it.
So he just deleted it, from download locations.
Also, If i remember correctly.
It had some pay to use software.
He may have got some warnings, from the people that make this software.

Last edited by bigpup on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have a copy of it. 1.5 G

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Can you give us a download link for it?

But I wonder if I am correct in thinking, it contains some software, that is not suppose to be used by someone, unless they pay for this software.
I know the base OS is Puppy Linux.
But I think it contains some software programs, that are only buy to use stuff.
Seem to remember it had some Windows based programs, that are buy to use stuff.
If so, it really should not be available, unless all buy to use software people, give approval to use their software.
Puppy Linux is covered by GPL licensing, but not their pay software.

Hope I am wrong, but! :?:

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Good point, If we can find that out and it's clear, I can make it available

taersh

Post by taersh »

bigpup wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 pm

Can you give us a download link for it?

But I wonder if I am correct in thinking, it contains some software, that is not suppose to be used by someone, unless they pay for this software.
I know the base OS is Puppy Linux.
But I think it contains some software programs, that are only buy to use stuff.
Seem to remember it had some Windows based programs, that are buy to use stuff.
If so, it really should not be available, unless all buy to use software people, give approval to use their software.
Puppy Linux is covered by GPL licensing, but not their pay software.

Hope I am wrong, but! :?:

Yes, but that's demo software like Reaper. Lots of Linux Music OS's come with proprietary demo software.

My Music:

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Yes, 1337-3.3 includes reaper, a linux experimental version and the windows demo. I never used either personally so I can not confirm much but I did see the "demo version" popup at some point and I believe that was the only proprietary material in there.
I also have a copy of all the files, that I paid for... I may have been one of his last paying customers as it was just a month or two before he "pulled the plug" and offered it for free. I also never heard back once I bought it. So could never get any extra info.
I don't believe there was any license issue but I cannot confirm for sure.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is from REAPER download site:
https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

Download REAPER below for a free, fully functional 60-day evaluation.
No registration or personal details are required.

Here is the terms to distribute it, but I do not think they would apply to having it in an OS.
https://www.reaper.fm/dist-agreement.php
My eyes glaze over trying to read these things.
So, maybe someone knows for sure.

Forum Global Moderator

taersh

Post by taersh »

For Reaper there's a distribution agreement form to be filled out by registered persons who wants to redistribute Reaper (the free Demo version).
https://www.reaper.fm/dist-form.php

From the Reaper license inside of the package:

3. License Restrictions:
3.2 You may not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, transfer, resell for profit or otherwise distribute the Software, its documentation, or any part thereof.

My Music:

Cleveland

Post by Cleveland »

I have used Reaper since Windows XP was the new kid on the block paired with my LIGHTNING fast Pentium 4 build. I have never paid for it. There are many misconceptions about what a trial means regarding Reaper. Originally you had a 30 day trial, after that you could continue to use it anyway without the ability to render as .mp3 format, maybe a few hardly noticeable features. So you would have to convert your WAV renders on a separate program, no big deal really, plenty of free audio converters out there.

In 2012 they instituted a 60 day trial period, after that trial expired, guess what, you could still use it anyway. Ability to render mp3 came to "free" or "evaluation" later on in 2016 or 17. The trial/evaluation license and paid license makes zero changes to the software as of 2021. The only difference between paid and trial is a pop up window when you first open the program with a 5 second counter reminding you that you are using the evaluation version, once the counter reaches zero, you click continue and you're in. It's a perfectly functional hobbyists DAW in that regard.

Alternatively if you are using it on a very large scale, you use the business license, which applies to literally no one I can think of outside of maybe a Nashville studio??? I think that jackalpup is doing the right thing by sticking with Ardour, and if all else fails just package it with Audacity and let the user choose which DAW to implement moving forward. In case you were wondering, Reaper does work perfectly fine in linux however experimental they claim the build to be. https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1324338

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Cleveland / all :-

'Portable' Reaper, anyone..? :lol:

-------------------------------

Download; unzip; move the portable directory wherever you want it. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Easy-peasy.

(To transfer your existing settings, run Reaper-portable for the first time so that the "config" directory is created beside the launcher. Enter the "config" directory, and delete the 'REAPER' directory. Now go to /root/.config/REAPER, and either move or copy it across to the portable's "config" directory. Reaper-portable should now run with your normal set-up.)

If required, this CAN be run from a flash-drive, too..!

--------------------------------

Tested in Quirky64 "April" 7.0.1 'lite' from jrb - Tahrpup-era, so should run in any newer 64-bitzer - and 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5. EDIT:- Also Slacko 571, by Sailor Enceladus.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Cleveland

Post by Cleveland »

@mikewalsh Woah, I just grabbed both of those! Very cool! Thanks :thumbup:

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”