QuickPup64 24.01 RC9

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 6

Post by Clarity »

Booting directly from the QP64 v21.08b6 ISO file
By merely adding the ISO file to the SG2D USB, it is found and boots to desktop without issues (it took 3 minutes to download the ISO file to USB and start a boot from the USB on a PC). AND, Save session works and on reboot, it is found and used.

SAMBA

1. SAMBA is missing. Cannot run SAMBA utils; namely smbclient, findsmb, etc. And attempts at install do NOT install compatible as is found in current WoofCE PUPs.

2. Should you make another, somewhere in your future, could you include the SAMBA PET to the build that installs Puppy LInux's SAMBA Simple Management utility (SSM) to the Menu, please.

Samba is required for my use needs. And If SSM is present, the setup is exactly as all the current WoofCEs that are used.

Thanks, I am continuing to test other subsystems of this QP64-v21.08b6 system on couple of my Intel x86-64s.now

Edit: Shutdown
Selected 'SAve' at session end and it progresses as expected. But, on First Shutdown sanity check screen, I was not allowed to change the folder (change folder button missing).

Last edited by Clarity on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Clarity wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:37 pm

Booting directly from the QP64 v21.08b6 ISO file
By merely adding the ISO file to the SG2D USB, it is found and boots to desktop without issues (it took 3 minutes to download the ISO file to USB and start a boot from the USB on a PC). AND, Save session works and on reboot, it is found and used.

SAMBA

1. SAMBA is missing. Cannot run SAMBA utils; namely smbclient, findsmb, etc. And attempts at install do NOT install compatible as is found in current WoofCE PUPs.

2. Should you make another, somewhere in your future, could you include the SAMBA PET to the build that installs Puppy LInux's SAMBA Simple Management utility (SSM) to the Menu, please.

Samba is required for my use needs. And If SSM is present, the setup is exactly as all the current WoofCEs that are used.

Thanks, I am continuing to test other subsystems of this QP64-v21.08b6 system on couple of my Intel x86-64s.

@Clarity

That's weird, samba utils was already builtin on QuickPup, all samba works fine. Also Simple Management utility (SSM) was already included on QuickPup64. I tested it on pristine state

mikeslr

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 6 --Building Applicatons

Post by mikeslr »

Hi rhtoras,

You've asked about how to resolve dependencies on applications you obtain via links from https://pkgs.org/. But even before you begin that process you should consider the factors discussed on this post, viewtopic.php?p=2952#p2952
That post provides links to the PaDS application and how I use it to build applications. While the latter involved building an application using Ubuntu binary packages and dependencies, PaDS will also work with Slackware binary packages and dependencies. To some extent it also discusses making use of pkgs.org.
There's another application I find useful; and more germane to your question especially when your source for packages is pkgs.org: ListDD (List Dynamic Dependencies. It may already be builtin to Quickpup64. Look on the Utilities Menu. If not, you can obtain it here, http://www.smokey01.com/radky.
When you type the name of an application into pkgs.org's Search box, select a distro-version, then follow the links to the application's binary's link, that web-page will provide a list of the binary's dependencies. For example, searching "xfe", selecting Fedora x86-64, got me here, https://fedora.pkgs.org/rawhide/fedora- ... 4.rpm.html. Scrolling down, before you reach the Download links to binaries Section, you'll find the "Requires" list.
The most important information, if it appears on that list, is a designation of the minimum GLIBC required. For the above among the "Requires" is "libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.34)(64bit)". There's a good chance that Puppy has builtin most of the required libraries. Others can be downloaded and if necessary a symbolic link created; e.g. FILE.so.14 required, but you could only find File.so.15. You create a symbolic link named File.so.14 which points to File.so.15. But, currently, a Puppy can only have one GLIBC frame-work and if yours is below the minimum required you're not going to be able to construct a functioning application with that binary. Perhaps look for an older version.
Beyond noting any GLIBC limitations, and python dependencies, you can initially ignore dependencies. Just download the binary and, rather than install it, extract it such as via UExtract. viewtopic.php?f=106&t=594&hilit=UExtract. Then file-browse to it, Right-Click it and select ListDD from the pop-up menu. One of the bottom tabs of the ListDD GUI is named “Missing”. It will generate a report of any dependency not already on your system. Unfortunately, ListDD does not provide information regarding python modules.
If no dependencies are missing, you can just install the package. But if some are I distinguish between Qt/Qt5 and others. Many applications make use of Qt/Qt5. Those I'll either install right away, or store somewhere to later be included in a pet of all additional 'frame-work' libraries I'll want on my system. If PPM doesn't provide them, pkgs.org almost always will.
After hunting down and downloading all the then known missing dependencies, I'll place them along with the application's binary in a uniquely named folder. As in the Example post I referenced above --where Ubuntu repos were the source of packages-- I can Right-Click that folder and select PaDS's 'Combine to SFS' facility. This will create an SFS you can SFS-Load to examine further. But it creates that SFS in /root. Move it before testing because (a) while in /root it occupies RAM and (b) if you SFS-Unload it from there it will be deleted.
Unfortunately, testing by first creating an SFS doesn't work with python applications. In Puppy's 'merge-file-system' application SFSes have lower priority than files either builtin or installed. Puppy will default to using higher priority python modules rather than those included in an application SFS. The only way to test is to build a pet, install it and run it via a terminal, examining the terminal output for problems.
You can still use PaDS to combine many packages as an intermediate step in creating a pet. Create an SFS, then Left-Click it. Select view. Then copy all the files in the window which opens into another uniquely named folder. Right-Click that folder and Select 'Create a pet' or open a terminal and type dir2pet NAME-OF-FOLDER.

I do strongly suggest that before installing anything you back up your SaveFile/Folder. SFSes are not installed so can be tested without endangering your current system.

There is another application which you should be aware of. Pkg-Cli. https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 41#p985531. I'll let someone who actually knows how to use it provide instructions. It may be a better option especially when python is involved.

esos

Post by esos »

Gimp v2.10.26 in quickpup64_21.08-beta-5 looks ok. I try to save a gimp file in one of hdd partitions (none of partitions were mounted).
and run pmount with error

Attachments
pmount-error.png
pmount-error.png (75.91 KiB) Viewed 27808 times
ronriel

Post by ronriel »

mistfire wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Just look for Qt SFS modules instead of installing Qt manually

Finally got my qt5 apps working. I found the resources here in case someone else needs them: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... Qt5/Older/

Alright... downloading Beta6.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@mistfire APOLOGY!

SAMBA

1. I was WRONG on SSM and smbclient. I jumped to a wrong conclusion when I found that 'findsmb' command did not work.

2. On findsmb, the command appears to be there, but, the system is missing 'perl'. (I am sure you have discovered that when you ran the command, too).

That command is a staple I use to do 2 things with every PUP I download and boot pristine. If it runs, that single command tells me I have an ethernet working and SAMBA is installed and my network resources are seen.

Ethernet is not started at Pristine boot
Use the ICW on the desktop:

ICW1.png
ICW1.png (44.68 KiB) Viewed 27803 times
ICW2.png
ICW2.png (46.29 KiB) Viewed 27803 times

No joy. Each time, instead of starting the ICW's selected option, It merely ONLY restarts ICW. After reboot, same problem: Does not spring Barry's or Dougal's for network setup. Its looping to ICW each time instead of taking me to setup utility selected.

• What would you recommend to start ethernet to acquire an IP on the local LAN?

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

esos wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:41 am

Gimp v2.10.26 in quickpup64_21.08-beta-5 looks ok. I try to save a gimp file in one of hdd partitions (none of partitions were mounted).
and run pmount with error

It means that the hard drive was already mounted and currently in use. Just go to the mountpoint where the hard disk is mounted

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Clarity wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:36 am

@mistfire APOLOGY!

SAMBA

1. I was WRONG on SSM and smbclient. I jumped to a wrong conclusion when I found that 'findsmb' command did not work.

2. On findsmb, the command appears to be there, but, the system is missing 'perl'. (I am sure you have discovered that when you ran the command, too).

That command is a staple I use to do 2 things with every PUP I download and boot pristine. If it runs, that single command tells me I have an ethernet working and SAMBA is installed and my network resources are seen.

Ethernet is not started at Pristine boot
Use the ICW on the desktop:ICW1.png ICW2.png
No joy. Each time, instead of starting the ICW's selected option, It merely ONLY restarts ICW. After reboot, same problem: Does not spring Barry's or Dougal's for network setup. Its looping to ICW each time instead of taking me to setup utility selected.

• What would you recommend to start ethernet to acquire an IP on the local LAN?

Does your LAN cable works fine? NetworkManager automatically setup the wired connection if a DHCP server was detected on the network

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Does your LAN cable works fine? Yes. All the other ISO files on the stick boot as well as acquire IP credentials from the DHCP host.

On next boot of QP64 21.08b6, I will gather any that DMESG flags for review

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 7

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 7 released

Changes:
* Builtin files was fully audited for safer package upgrade/downgrade
* Bugfixes for PPM and pkg
* Added apfs-fuse to mount storage devices or disk image formatted in APFS (Apple Filesystem, read-only)
* Updated simple-mtpfs and wimlib
* Fixed broken perl

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FvLkQX ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 5791cd5f1b7164ed5b8a04a9b02ae6ef

ronriel

Post by ronriel »

mistfire wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:50 pm
ronriel wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:37 pm

-Despite being small, it boots and shuts-down longer compared to other pups.

It might be some improvements in the future

I tried to re-compress all sfs files using zstd (from porteus tool) and got great results as far as booting time is concerned. It's because of faster zstd decompression speed.
Boot is 30% faster and apps also launch much faster from cold start. However, sfs sizes are bigger by 5-10%. Not much size increase considering the speed improvement.

-ronriel

mistfire

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 8

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 8 released

Changes:
* Improved initrd. cp and mv command is now in 64-bit
* Fixed annoying pMount execution when a removable device was plugged in
* Fixed missing pkgconfig files

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h4BqSX ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 85dfcaea5c9da3ce7d30cf53121365cc

esos

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 8

Post by esos »

@misfire
You are right the partition(s) is already mounted, but gimp can not see anything there.
I have to open the file just over file manager.

Thunar still keeps crashing until beta8

Attachments
gimpnotmount.jpg
gimpnotmount.jpg (18.62 KiB) Viewed 27488 times
mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 8

Post by mistfire »

esos wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm

@misfire
You are right the partition(s) is already mounted, but gimp can not see anything there.
I have to open the file just over file manager.

Is it the partition where your puppy booted from or where save file is loaded? If yes then go to /mnt/home

esos wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Thunar still keeps crashing until beta8

That's the xfce dev issue not mine. That's why QuickPup64 was still in BETA state because of strange issues on GTK3-based xfce desktop

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 9

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 9 released

Changes:
* Fixed PulseAudio when running apps as spot (thanks @dimkr )
* Fixed network management and connectivity.
* Fixed initrd.
* Fixed and improved Internet Connection Wizard. Added support for connman.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1twsB3Y ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 2bc4bb00c6c67fc2ccf0787bd42c8f37

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

A Review
Downloaded the latest ISO file to my SG2D USB stick ("/BOOTISOS" folder). Selected the QuickPUP 21.08-b9 selection and it boots directly to desktop. Network services are working and multimedia is working as expected.

Time to download and start the ISO file boot is 62 seconds. After reaching desktop FirstRUN set and away we go. It boots a little slower than PUPs as its boot process is a bit more deliberate as it details its steps.

Continuing to test.

BTW: Save sessions work as it does for all PUPs AND is found on reboot of the ISO file. ... EXCELLLENT :thumbup:

This ISO file booting behaves as all frugals do without any need to setup a frugal. The ISO file is the FRUGAL. Anyone willing to review ISO file booting OOTB with NO ERRORS try this and review for yourself. Its truly a simple approach taking the issues and the guesswork out of the equation to get your PUPs to its desktop.

Thanks @mistfire

rhtoras

Post by rhtoras »

I download the iso i burn via dd command in a usb and when i try to boot there is a black screen. It says something but i cannot remember what. What is the process to boot on desktop ? What shall i type ? There is a root environment if i remember correctly. Thanks anyway!

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

rhtoras wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:59 pm

I download the iso i burn via dd command in a usb and when i try to boot there is a black screen. It says something but i cannot remember what. What is the process to boot on desktop ? What shall i type ? There is a root environment if i remember correctly. Thanks anyway!

@rhtoras

DON'T DD your usb. Just install syslinux on your usb and configure it if you want Legacy BIOS boot. If you want UEFI boot just mount iso image and put all its contents to FAT32 formatted usb. Don't forget to turn off the secure boot

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@rhtoras do this:

1. Make the USB shown here using dd

2. Add QuickPUP64 "ISO file" to the /BOOTISOS folder on the USB

3. Boot it and select QuickPUP64

In the future for any additional QuickPUP64s (or any other PUPs), merely add their ISO files to that very same USB and boot. That will work without issues.

Today's PUPs ISO files are "self contained" bootable Frugals.

rhtoras

Post by rhtoras »

thanks guys i will try these...

Last edited by rhtoras on Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

rhtoras wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:30 pm

now it says no bootable usb this not a bootable device...
what i did fpr uefi is mount the iso and put all contents in fat32 usb. I was sure it wont work this way although i tried it. Could it be a secure boot thing ? Because i did not turned it off because i could not.

Turn off the secure boot. Also don't forget to set the first boot was USB in UEFI

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 10

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 10 released

Changes:
* Linux kernel 5.14.8-lxpup64
* Improved Package Management
* Additional Slackware repos added (slackonly, slackers, and slackel)
* Updated packages
* More bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yPzewM ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 3c0c78fe7df2d43a4148b5e457a70890

Clarity

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 10

Post by Clarity »

Excellent!

Downloaded the ISO file to /BOOTISOS on the USB. SG2D presented QuickPUP64-v10, selected it and voila...desktop. All done in less than 6 minutes and testing now! NO issues start to finish.

Performance is quick-smooth-stable.

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 11

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 11 released

Changes:
* Fixed VPN problems
* Updated NetworkManager and BlueZ
* Fixed Redmond-Delta theme
* More bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gaa4C- ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: c77d9df948208a356d10b70f73383347

Clarity

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 11

Post by Clarity »

Downloaded the ISO file to /BOOTISOS and booted directly without ANY issues.

Continuing to test, BUT behavior is wonderful. Thanks!

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 12

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup 21.08 BETA 12 released

Changes:
* New apps added

• gtkterm (hyperterminal)

• tigervnc (vnc client)

• x11vnc (vnc server)

• ghex (hex editor)

• pureadmin (gui for pureftpd ftp server)

• gnome-system-log (log viewer)

• winff replaced ffconvert

• grdesktop replaced x-rdp

• baobab disk analyzer replaced gdmap

* Removed some bloat on root filesystem
* pgprs redirects to modem-manager-gui (if installed)
* Fixes on package management

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeuLX4 ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 391cc1fde08bc57224ba3d59be08e955

Clarity

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 12

Post by Clarity »

Stable and responsive.

Downloaded the ISO file in 49 seconds and booted in QEMU is 35 sec. No issues in desktop.

QEMU QuickPUP64-v12.jpg
QEMU QuickPUP64-v12.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 27624 times

Also booted on 'real' PC via its ISO file on a SG2D USB as well: No issues to report in all tests.

GREAT combinations of abilities in this distro!

mistfire

Re: QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 13

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 21.08 BETA 13 released

Changes:
* Fixed broken CUPS functionality
* With system privacy settings
* New applications added

• grsync (rsync gui frontend)

• gworldclock (world clock)

• system-config-printer (CUPS GUI frontend)

• gigolo (remote filesystem manager)

* Smaller main SFS compared to previous one
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yxwHNR ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 4faca22b7ffe8bbe32702f31e562a2c6

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Same results in getting to desktop as reported earlier. QEMU boots ISO file in 21 sec while SG2D USB boots in less than 40 secs.

QEMU QuickPUP64-v13.jpg
QEMU QuickPUP64-v13.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 27542 times

No issues in any PUP operations, thus far.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Is there a QP64 ISO with kernel 5.15 available?
Just curious.

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”