How to create ".pet" file to install programs?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

john51

How to create ".pet" file to install programs?

Post by john51 »

Ubuntu Bionic 64 x86_64 64-bit BionicPup64 8.0
installed in a pendrive
Full

I want to learn how to create an installer ".pet"

I need to create them in order to use these programs in my Puppy Linux:
(the one that I need the most) - https://atomicwallet.io/es#download-block ...
is a file :
ubuntu: file ".image" https://atomicwallet.io/download/atomicwallet.AppImage
debian: file ".deb" https://atomicwallet.io/download/atomicwallet.deb
fedora: file ".rpm" https://atomicwallet.io/download/atomicwallet.rpm
---
and
if you can teach me also for this program:
- https://www.coinomi.com/en/downloads/
is a file coinomi-wallet-1.2.4-linux64.tar.gz

I would like to learn to create them myself ... so I bother them on another occasion :thumbup2:

please...

thanks

-----
mikewalsh

Re: How to create ".pet" file to install programs?

Post by mikewalsh »

@ john51:-

I've tried running this one all ways I can think of in Bionic64. I can't get Atomic Wallet to fire up at all. Coinomi, however, is an easy one to get running in Puppy.....

See my reply to your other thread:-

viewtopic.php?p=1667#p1667

(.......and you've also made the classic beginner's mistake of going for the FULL install. This is an absolute "no-no" in Puppy, and is usually reserved for ancient, seriously low-resource hardware.....not something capable of running Bionicpup64. By using a "full" install, you are in fact voluntarily denying yourself access to most of the best that Puppy has to offer!)

Linux mainstream distros all run as full installs, because it's the way they've been developed to work over a long period of time; that, and the fact that most Linux geeks are serious "stick-in-the-muds" anyway. If summat works, hey! why bother to rock the boat? :roll:

Puppy is totally unique in the Linux world.....and even experienced Linux users come to grief when trying it out, because nothing works in quite the way they expect it to...! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moose On The Loose

Post by Moose On The Loose »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm [.....]
[Puppy is totally unique in the Linux world.....and even experienced Linux users come to grief when trying it out, because nothing works in quite the way they expect it to...! :D

Mike. ;)
I am typing this from a full install of 528.
I expect that expect me to expect things differently than I expect them.

I generally don't recommend people do a full install with one exception.
If you are going to do things that make a totally massive use of RAM space, I have found that a full install seems to leave enough more space to make it worth considering. When I did the full install I was making a very huge array of numbers in memory practically every week.

I have made a not yet public version developed from 528 that does a "frugalish install" when it is first booted. For some this method may work so I will explain:
The "frugalish install" is not an install at all.
The SFS files are copied onto the hard drive in the same place as the 2sf file.
The booting still needs the CD (In my example) but after it is booted, the CD is dismounted.
With all the SFS files loaded at boot, the system works very like a 528 where everything anyone might want has already been added.
It the user opts to actually do the frugal install from there, they don't have to back-track the base system. The sfs files are on the drive already. Copying the rest from the CD and running grub4dos is generally all that is needed.
williams2

Post by williams2 »

Booting with the pfix=nocopy should give almost as much free ram as a full install.

A very slow computer might be a little faster with a full install than a frugal install, because it has to uncompress the files that it accesses in an sfs file. But fewer bytes need to be copied from the squashfs file system, because the files are compressed.

The sfs files could be remastered with no compression, (I think mksquashfs can make sfs files with no compression) which would make file accesses almost as fast as a full install.
taersh

Post by taersh »

I want to learn how to create an installer ".pet"
You need to have all files of the program inside a single directory which contains the Linux file system structure. This is the directories like: /usr, /usr/bin, /usr/share, /usr/share/applications e.g. and so on.

Then either right-click that directory and choose "Create .pet package".
Or open a terminal in the parent directory of the single directory and type into the terminal:
dir2pet NameOfSingleDirectory

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

This is some really helpful instructions. Constructing a PET file can be something very simple and easy to a PET creation that uses a script to do custom operations to set up the package that is contained within the PET and runs at the time of installation.

This will get you started on the right path....do not let it overwhelm, taersh has some good advice to get you started.

Pet Packaging 100 & 101 & intro to 200
nic007

Post by nic007 »

I use trio's application. Attached.
Attachments
Pet_Maker-2.3.pet.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

nic007 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:55 pm I use trio's application. Attached.
Snap! Me, too.... used it for years. Very easy to use.

However, rockedge's link to technosaurus' thread is still worth a read, because the principles of construction DO need to be understood, and followed....regardless of the application/utility you finally "build" your package with. It's worth noting that the initial "compile from source" step is not as critical as it used to be, since Puppy's 'binary compatibility' with versions of mainstream distros often means you only need to modify an existing package built FOR that 'parent' distro.

You do occasionally need to get creative, however..! :D (And Puppies may need additional dependencies tracking down that the 'parent' comes with by default,,,,,which is where a basic knowledge of terminal operations also comes in handy.)

Mostly, the utilities 'automate' the built-in operations (like "makedir", and "dir2pet", etc). Pet Maker is s prime example of this, putting an easy-to-use front-end GUI onto the 'backend' stuff. But even Pet Maker is useless if you don't understand how to construct a package in the first place...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Beginners Help”