Fossa64 9.5 burnt to USB with BalenaEtcher fails to boot

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

pedpup

Fossa64 9.5 burnt to USB with BalenaEtcher fails to boot

Post by pedpup »

I downloaded Fossa64 9.5, burnt it to USB with BalenaEtcher, and
tried to boot from it.

All I got was a grub> command line prompt..
Not usual. It mentioned something about not being to find
the kernel files ( vmlinuz and initrd )

I looked on the USB drive - the kernel files were not there.

What to do? I checked the md5sum and it is correct.

Thanks,

bigpup

Re: Fossa 64 9.5 fails to boot..

Post by bigpup »

what is the computer?
Make and model?
Laptop or desktop?
If it is a UEFI bios computer.
Is secure boot disabled or legacy boot enabled or CSM enabled in the UEFI setup?

To make sure you got the complete iso.

Download and redo the install using this:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 64-9.5.iso

That indicates the install was not completely correct.

Try using a different installer program.
viewtopic.php?f=156&t=157

Etcher does seem to have issues sometimes doing a good install.
Could just try doing the install again.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pedpup

Post by pedpup »

what is the computer?
**** Dell 1525 Dual-core 4G ram 128G SSD
Make and model?
**** Laptop
If it is a UEFI bios computer.
*** BIOS, AFAIK
Is secure boot disabled or legacy boot enabled or CSM enabled in the UEFI setup?
??? Where would I find those settings?

NOTE: I have installed many many live distros in this machine without issue..
(recent ones as well ).

Grey

Post by Grey »

The mainline versions of Puppy still do not contain such a great utility as USBImager. One and two(newer here). It works perfectly and it seems that russian colleagues have not received any complaints from users on the topic of writing a USB drive for a long time. Read: .img, .bin, .raw, .iso, .dd, .gz, .bz2, .xz, .zst, PKZIP, ZIP64, ZZZip, .tar, .cpio, .pax. Let's compare:

usbimager.png
usbimager.png (74.34 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Last edited by Grey on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Post by Grey »

pedpup wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 am

I downloaded Fossa64 9.5, burnt it to USB with BalenaEtcher

If you have Windows, try to burn your USB stick with this:
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/-/b ... in-gdi.zip
or
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/-/b ... in-gdi.zip

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Looks like even a simpleton(me?), can very easily use.Thanks.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If it has the old legacy bios, forget about stuff I asked that was for UEFI bios.

That statement by you says Fossapup64 9.5 did not get completely installed.

Should be a bunch of files on the USB drive.
Example:

Screenshot(3).png
Screenshot(3).png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 1607 times

If you are running Etcher in some version of Puppy Linux.
For some reason, me and others, have never gotten it to do a good install.
It just does not run correctly in Puppy Linux.

Forum Global Moderator

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I have used many different methods to write hybrid ISOs to USBs over the years. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have NOT run into problems when, using PUPs/DOGs, creating either bootable DVDs or bootable USBs.

I have used the dd commands prescribed by PUP forum members; I have used Etcher; I have used the utility that Barry Kauler presents, ... I have etc.

In reviewing "USBImager", I find that product woofully missing the objective: "Ease of USE!". Performance wise, it doesn't seem to be any real improvement versus the other methods.

On EASE OF USE, it is astoundingly missing the point and I would never give/present it to any inexperienced user. Just because it is small does NOT make a good useful applicaition. The friendliness for something like this is far more a requirement for safe succesful use versus small.

It lacks help, it lacks fields help, it lacks obvious options in plain sight without clicks, it lacks field labels, it lacks ... It may have been done in a rush or it may have been done for the developer's personal use only.

Here's a picture of it (tried on FossaPUP64 and Slacko64)

Etcher is Better.jpg
Etcher is Better.jpg (9.32 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

You be the judge for what is best to use. For me using any LInux distro, I use 'dd' or Barry's or Etcher for USBs and PBurn (Puppy multimedia utility) for DVDs/CDs.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:39 am

On EASE OF USE, it is astoundingly missing the point and I would never give/present it to any inexperienced user.

If inexperienced user cannot master a few points in a graphical interface, he will NEVER become experienced. There is only one way - Windows :)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

pedpup

You still around?

Any new update info?

Was the files, I showed in the attached image, on the drive?

Forum Global Moderator

farmi

Post by farmi »

good afternoon everyone.

I am having difficulties in creating a pen boot.
I installed balenaEtcher gives errors.

I tried Rufus I can't run. I am interested in changing distribution.

will anyone have any ideas?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

First idea: What operating system are you using to try to 'burn' the Puppy and boot-loader to the USB-Stick? I don't know balenaEtcher. But AFAIK rufus is an only Windows' program and running it from Windows has never failed me. But, I didn't try with Fossapup. Tell us exactly what you did, and what you observed.

p.s. If you tried balenaEtcher first, it may have screwed up the USB-Key. Reformat it under Windows before trying rufus again.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

farmi wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:18 pm

good afternoon everyone.

I am having difficulties in creating a pen boot.
I installed balenaEtcher gives errors.

I tried Rufus I can't run. I am interested in changing distribution.

will anyone have any ideas?

Hi farmi,
What exactly was the error under BalenaEtcher? I have used BalenaEtcher with several Linux distributions (including Fossapup64) and it usually works.

Born to lose; live to win

farmi

Post by farmi »

[/img][/img]

these are the photos of etcher's errors.

farmi

Post by farmi »

mikeslr wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:09 pm

First idea: What operating system are you using to try to 'burn' the Puppy and boot-loader to the USB-Stick? I don't know balenaEtcher. But AFAIK rufus is an only Windows' program and running it from Windows has never failed me. But, I didn't try with Fossapup. Tell us exactly what you did, and what you observed.

p.s. If you tried balenaEtcher first, it may have screwed up the USB-Key. Reformat it under Windows before trying rufus again.

hello. the distro I want to install will be Ubuntu minimal. I also tried the arch and I know success. on Rufus I downloaded it but I can't run the install. sh. on etcher i download, unzip, run, it opens, i choose the ISO, i choose the drive and flash. then it gives an error.

BologneChe

Re: Fossa64 9.5 burnt to USB with BalenaEtcher fails to boot

Post by BologneChe »

@farmi

Try Etcher in Bionic64. It work!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -bionic64/

farmi

Post by farmi »

BologneChe wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:17 am

@farmi

Try Etcher in Bionic64. It work!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -bionic64/

OK. I only have one problem. I can't change distro. I don't even have an operating system or another PC anymore.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@farmi

What is your distro?

farmi

Post by farmi »

@BologneChe

Fossa64 9.5

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

farmi, I'm kind-of confused by your posts. "I am having difficulties in creating a pen boot." "the distro I want to install will be Ubuntu minimal. I also tried the arch and I know success. on Rufus I downloaded it but I can't run the install. sh. on etcher i download, unzip, run, it opens, i choose the ISO, i choose the drive and flash. then it gives an error." " I can't change distro. I don't even have an operating system or another PC anymore." What is your distro? "Fossa64 9.5"

Which means either you have a functional "Fossa64 9.5" somewhere from which you are posting OR you've somehow figured out how to post without any functional operating system. I suspect the former, and that your actual question is "How do I burn a Ubuntu minimal operating system to a USB Key using Fossa(pup)64?

If the latter, I think UNetbootin, 64-binary from here, https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html may be what you want. But wait a bit while I boot into my Fossapup64 and see (what can go wrong :lol: :roll:). As it happens, there's a distro I've been meaning to try from a USB-Key and this is as good an excuse as any. ;)

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

farmi wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:23 pm

@BologneChe

Fossa64 9.5

You don't need to have bionicpup64 to install the Etcher from the link I submitted to you on the previous status.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Do try BologneChe's recommended version of Etcher. At the moment Unetbootin seems to be hung up.
I'm posting from Fossapup64. I downloaded the version I mentioned. It seems to be an 'AppImage' --that is a self-contained application, albeit identified as a "bin". Like an AppImage, you have to make it executable: I right-click it, selected Properties and put check-marks in the three boxes. When it ran I received a notice that media managements tools to use it with Arch-linux were missing. Puppy has its own and both the minimal distro you mentioned and the one I wanted to burn are 'Ubuntu-based'.
UNetbootin doesn't do any formatting. So I used Menu>System>gparted to format the USB-Key Fat32, and set the 'Boot' Flag. Other than originally forgetting to preserve some space for 'persistence' and having to start again, everything seems to have gone OK.
While typing I've received notice that Installation with Persistence is complete. The delay must have resulted from a slow USB-Key.

Now to see if it will boot.
Well, that's annoying. It wouldn't. :o So hopefully following BologneChe's recommendation will be more successful.
[As for my exploring the Ubuntu-based distro I was interested in, I'll put that off for another day. And to any who read this post, note that it may not have been a fair test of Unetbootin. The USB-Key I used may be the problem. I had some doubts about it before].

farmi

Post by farmi »

mikeslr wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:18 pm

"How do I burn a Ubuntu minimal operating system to a USB Key using Fossa(pup)64?

Yes!!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Never having used it, I had forgotten that grey had called our attention to USBImager, viewtopic.php?p=21503#p21503. I followed the link he provided to here, https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager and downloaded the "Linux PC X11 Recommended" version. Used UEXtract to unzip it. In the Extacted file were several folders (assembled they would likely create an application which appears on your Menu). But the bin folder contained an executable. Right-Click>ListDD showed no missing dependencies under Fossapup64. [Under Bionicpup64 --which I was using when I remembered USBImager-- ListDD revealed that newer glibc was required]. Left-Clicking the USBImager binary started the application.
The "..." next to the empty top box brought up a file-browser which is used to locate the image you want to burn. I again file-browsed and selected Kodachi. The middle panel has a tool to select your output media. Be Careful.. It offered to burn to my hard-drive. But also found my USB-Key. However, I had mounted the Key and received a notice to the effect that something was busy. USBImager expects an unmounted USB-Key. Hopefully, it would have also balked at trying to write to my mounted Hard-drive. Be very careful if used without a SaveFile/Folder.
After Unmounting the USB-Key and clicking "write", USBImager did its work. Now to see if it actually worked.

:thumbup: :D Kodochi, burned to a USB-Key as above described, booted to desktop.
[But I am again posting from Fossapup64. It would take a Beginners Course to figure out how to use the many applications Kodachi has built in. But no one seems to have thought that configuring wifi networks should be obvious. I finally located wicd on the Network submenu. Only to learn that Kodachi didn't include the drivers for either of the two USB-wifi-adapters I have plugged in. Well, that's certain to enable Kodachi to maintain the reputation as being an OS which frustrates hackers and malware spreaders :roll: ].

Return to “Beginners Help”