Touchscreen not working correctly in Slacko 7.0 32 bit

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

PiZZa3

Touchscreen not working correctly in Slacko 7.0 32 bit

Post by PiZZa3 »

Hi all

Was having a separate issue with the version of Linux currently installed on my device, when a helpful forum user said that Slacko 7.0 has the necessary stuff for my touchscreen to work, whereas BionicPup does not. (See https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... g-mp3s-etc)

However having tried Slacko 7.0 32 bit, the touchscreen is acting weird. It has not ever been like this ever before - it is completely unusable and I have to plug a mouse in. The helpful forum user said I should go here if Slacko where not to work correctly.

What can I do to fix the touchscreen?

Thank you

peterw

Re: Touchscreen not working correctly in Slacko 7.0 32 bit

Post by peterw »

To summarise and correct me if I am wrong.

1. You are trying to get an old 32 bit laptop working and it has eGalaxy Touch. To help others it will be useful if you provide the make and model of the netbook.
2. The touchscreen did work in Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 "Jaunty" but it did not have the codecs to play mp3 files, etc.
3. You had tried BionicPup but the touchscreen did not work
4. You have tried Slacko 7 32 bit which has an egalax_ts driver and the touchscreen goes berserk
5. Arch Linux has information on touchscreens here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/touchscreen

You are looking for help on how to get the touchscreen working. Perhaps others on the forum has had success with it.

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Hi,

Your summary is correct pretty much.

1. The device is the Kohjinsha PM.

2. Still have Ubuntu Netbook Remix installed, but is a custom edit of it, specifically for the Kojinsha PM, UMID mbook M1, and Sagem Spiga UMPCs. (https://wikiwiki.jp/knot/Ubuntu%209.04% ... mbook%20M1 version 2318). It will not play any file formats, mp3, OGGs, WAVs, mp4s, YouTube, etc - DESPITE having installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras which is suppose to give codecs.

5. Looked at the Arch documentation but there is nothing there that helps in the case that the touchscreen does not work correctly. Xinput is installed but no command works to open it.

peterw

Post by peterw »

With early versions of Ubuntu you had to install the codecs from a Repository with the command "sudo apt-get install ffmpeg" and then it could play various media. Ubuntu 9.04 is obsolete and so adding the repository to enable that to happen is most likely impossible. You can compile ffmpeg yourself but that will have lots of dependencies that you will struggle with.

I did download the egalaxy Linux driver and have a look at it, but could find no instructions on what to do with it. Some sites stated that it had a script file that you could run which automated the install but there was nothing in what I downloaded and there is normally a read me instruction about how to use the download but nothing.

I did have a look at xinput_calibrator but I am not sure whether Slacko has it.

Unfortunately, I have run out of ideas and don't have any hardware that has that device to try them. I can only suggest you plug in an USB mouse and use that.

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Try slacko64-6.3.2

It worked on my Acer IconiaTab w500 (egalax kernel driver will load automatically) with the stock kernel. I even got rotation and stuff working and was quite usable except for the weight of the thing!

Oh, dug up a wonky video. Just ignore the reflection of that ugly bloke! (this is actually using a beta 6.3.0.2 iirc)

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

peterw wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 am

With early versions of Ubuntu you had to install the codecs from a Repository with the command "sudo apt-get install ffmpeg" and then it could play various media. Ubuntu 9.04 is obsolete and so adding the repository to enable that to happen is most likely impossible. You can compile ffmpeg yourself but that will have lots of dependencies that you will struggle with.

I did download the egalaxy Linux driver and have a look at it, but could find no instructions on what to do with it. Some sites stated that it had a script file that you could run which automated the install but there was nothing in what I downloaded and there is normally a read me instruction about how to use the download but nothing.

I did have a look at xinput_calibrator but I am not sure whether Slacko has it.

Unfortunately, I have run out of ideas and don't have any hardware that has that device to try them. I can only suggest you plug in an USB mouse and use that.

Really grateful to you taking the time to investigate things!

Unfortunately get "The sudo-get install command is not found". But Got the device to be able to install software awhile ago from the add/remove applications place, by using the commands of the accepted answer in this thread https://askubuntu.com/questions/91815/h ... ed-release. However if I search just for "ffmpeg" in that place then nothing shows. But, when "ffmpeg" is searched in Synpatic Package Manager, a lot of stuff comes up. There is a package just called "ffmpeg" in Synaptic Package Manager, when I mark it for download, then click "apply", it shows that is going to installl ffmpeg plus two other things it wants, then when the "Applying Changes" screen comes up, it loads for sometime, but at the end gives an error about mscorefonts. When I click to look at more details about the error there is a mention about the "arial font" not existing but no other issues. But no file formats play still.

Last edited by PiZZa3 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

PiZZa3 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:11 am

Hi all

Was having a separate issue with the version of Linux currently installed on my device, when a helpful forum user said that Slacko 7.0 has the necessary stuff for my touchscreen to work, whereas BionicPup does not. (See https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... g-mp3s-etc)

However having tried Slacko 7.0 32 bit, the touchscreen is acting weird. It has not ever been like this ever before - it is completely unusable and I have to plug a mouse in. The helpful forum user said I should go here if Slacko where not to work correctly.

What can I do to fix the touchscreen?

Thank you

Hi can you please also try my QuickPup on your computer with touchscreen to see if works?
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1743

Thanks

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

01micko wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:34 am

Try slacko64-6.3.2

It worked on my Acer IconiaTab w500 (egalax kernel driver will load automatically) with the stock kernel. I even got rotation and stuff working and was quite usable except for the weight of the thing!

Oh, dug up a wonky video. Just ignore the reflection of that ugly bloke! (this is actually using a beta 6.3.0.2 iirc)

Hi, is there a way to calibrate it? I have it live right now but it is working same as every other distribution. (And even Windows before installing the driver)

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Hi can you please also try my QuickPup on your computer with touchscreen to see if works?

Thanks

Tried it but it gets to "Setting up services (network)_" and then nothing happens.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

PiZZa3 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:22 am

Thanks

Tried it but it gets to "Setting up services (network)_" and then nothing happens.

Thanks for your info. What is the complete name and model of your computer?
Anyway, can you please do the following procedure on your computer:
1. Boot other puppy on your computer.
2. On terminal, type this command

Code: Select all

busybox lspci

3. Post the output command here on this thread.

Thank you

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

busybox lspci

Thank you

It is the Kohjinsha PM UMPC.

Here is the lspci readout:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) HD Audio Controller (rev 07)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #1 (rev 07)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #2 (rev 07)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #3 (rev 07)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB EHCI #1 (rev 07)
00:1e.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #1 (rev 07)
00:1e.1 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #2 (rev 07)
00:1e.2 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #3 (rev 07)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) LPC Bridge (rev 07)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) IDE Controller (rev 07)

Also the replies of this thread might be of interest to you https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6213247

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

PiZZa3 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:55 am

busybox lspci

Thank you

It is the Kohjinsha PM UMPC.

Here is the lspci readout:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) HD Audio Controller (rev 07)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #1 (rev 07)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #2 (rev 07)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB UHCI #3 (rev 07)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) USB EHCI #1 (rev 07)
00:1e.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #1 (rev 07)
00:1e.1 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #2 (rev 07)
00:1e.2 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) SDIO Controller #3 (rev 07)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) LPC Bridge (rev 07)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) IDE Controller (rev 07)

Also the replies of this thread might be of interest to you https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6213247

Oh you have a full lspci. try run this command in order to view the vendor id and device id of that computer

lspci -nn

Then post output here on this thread

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Oh you have a full lspci. try run this command in order to view the vendor id and device id of that computer

Command gives pretty much the same thing. Here is lshw instead https://textuploader.com/18qze

peterw

Post by peterw »

Hi 01micko
That is an impressive video on a touchscreen working with Puppy. However, I note that your trial was with a 64 bit Slacko, but PiZZa3's device is only a 32 bit one. Are the 32 and 64 bit Slacko's likely to be the same for a touchscreen performance?

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

PiZZa3 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:08 am

Command gives pretty much the same thing. Here is lshw instead https://textuploader.com/18qze

Thanks for the data you sent. This will be very helpful

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Thanks for the data you sent. This will be very helpful

:thumbup2:

Return to “Beginners Help”