For Experimenting Created a KLV32-Chihuahua

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

For Experimenting Created a KLV32-Chihuahua

Post by rockedge »

For some ideas that involve borrowing I built with the KLV-Airedale PLUG a 32 bit version now called KLV32-Chihuahua

Will be booting and evaluating and will see if it works.....at all...... :ugeek:

geo_c

Re: For Experimenting Created a KLV32-Chihuahua

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm

For some ideas that involve borrowing I built with the KLV-Airedale PLUG a 32 bit version now called KLV32-Chihuahua

Will be booting and evaluating and will see if it works.....at all...... :ugeek:

I have three machines for which this might be useful. Two of them are 64bit capable but came with 32bit Windows installed. I've been running fossapup on them fine, but perhaps they would be much peppier with 32bit KLV. The other is in the closet loaded with Bionic which runs good, but I'm not terribly interested in running Bionic at this point.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm

Did you get this booting yet? Should be okay surely?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Yes! I have the 32 bit KLV-Chihuahua booted and running on a DELL VOSTRO 1500 single core CPU 4 gigs of RAM.

I built the root_fs using the latest script with the KLV-Airedale PLUG but on the command line used i686 instead of amd64.

To boot I am using the 64 bit kernel 5.16.14-KLV that I had made with the Puppy Linux kernel-kit and modified for KLV. This was the kernel until replaced with Debian derivative kernels built using @fredx181 's script.

I first built with the Void Linux kernel and extracted the components but could not find the right combination of pieces and stanza's to get this booted. Then went with a KLV PLUG version without the Void kernel at all.

Not all of the KLV specific programs are fully functional. missing gtkdialog and gettext and so on and so forth......

Screenshot-KLV32.jpg
Screenshot-KLV32.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 352 times

This combination of 32 bit operating system with a 64 bit kernel is proving to run very fast on the old DELL laptop.

Follow up will hopefully have this same 32 bit KLV running with a 32 bit kernel :geek:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak The 32 bit XFCE4 desktop performance is fantastic on the test machine.

Excellent idle characteristics and RAM around 194-204 mb

maybe if I can get the 32 bit kernel going @amethyst might consider trying it out and giving a review. ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 pm

That's terrific.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 pm

maybe if I can get the 32 bit kernel going @amethyst might consider trying it out and giving a review. ;)

That's cool. I'm running Bionic 32 at the moment (base sfs 250MB, gzip packed) and Firefox version 89. I've just checked the basic requirements for the latest Firefox version and am actually surprised how difficult it is to get it to run with old Puppys as the requirements are not very high:

glibc 2.17 or higher (that's OLD!!!)
GTK+ 3.14 or higher
libstdc++ 4.8.1 or higher
X.Org 1.0 or higher (1.7 or higher is recommended)

Haven't checked if the latest Firefox runs OOTB with Bionic (not sure about the libgtk version). BTW - Firefox running excellently with uBlock Origin, User Agent Switcher and Image Block X extensions. All these extensions are excellent and saves a lot of data and loads webpages snappy. I use the Android Phone switch most of the time. It was very easy to install with Firefox. Highly recommended for data restricted users. I must say that now that I have Firefox properly configured for my use it does run well, very stable too. I may change my mind about being a longtime Firefox hater....

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”