Testing KLV-rc7 with Debian 6.1 Kernel Comparing to Void Kernel

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Testing KLV-rc7 with Debian 6.1 Kernel Comparing to Void Kernel

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I am experimenting with a KLV-Airedale-rc7 and trying to put together a newer Void kernel but not having much success. Did get rc7 to boot on QEMU with almost a complete Void Linux kernel 6.0.18_1 but the xfce4 panel 1 never showed up there was no response at all from the mouse or keyboard and had to be hard shutdown. I have to test it still on bare metal.

Using @fredx181 script I made a new 6.1.0 kernel from the Debian repo which boots right away, easy to install and the entire ISO is 750 mb.

Going to test @ozsouth 's latest huge kernel with both overlayfs and AUFS just to check that with the skeleton initrd.gz

Now I will build a bare minimum FirstRib rootfs with the Void Kernel 6.1 and try the creation and extraction of the Void Linux kernel for KLV-Airedale.
This should test out working from a blank canvas rootfs to get a trim, efficient kernel and modules

KLV-Airedale-rc7.iso
SHA1-MD5.txt

Clarity

Re: Testing KLV-rc7 with Debian 6.1 Kernel Comparing to Void Kernel

Post by Clarity »

Does this spin utilize the kernel with KVM built-in?

I hope to complete a User Guide for this distro QEMU-KVM setup soon and I want to be as accurate as possible.

This should make it easy for anyone to also create a video from the Guide.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Observations booting the ISO in a VM: Booted from Menu stanza #1 'RAM0 no Persistence'

• I was thrown for a loop: The KLV vRC7 shows vRC6.1 on its boot menu and on the very 1st console boot message.

• This VM booted very, very slowly to desktop
    # qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga cirrus -smp 2 -device AC97 -cdrom KLV-Airedale-rc7.iso

Starts desktop from console VERY SLOWLY
    Starts desktop from console VERY SLOWLY
    KLV v7 ristine with Cirrus VGA.png (174.91 KiB) Viewed 350 times
  • This VM booted in seconds to a desktop
    # qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga std -smp 2 -device AC97 -cdrom KLV-Airedale-rc7.iso

Starts desktop from console RAPIDLY
    Starts desktop from console RAPIDLY
    KLV v7 Pristine with STD video.jpg (86.35 KiB) Viewed 350 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:21 pm

Now I will build a bare minimum FirstRib rootfs with the Void Kernel 6.1 and try the creation and extraction of the Void Linux kernel for KLV-Airedale.
This should test out working from a blank canvas rootfs to get a trim, efficient kernel and modules

The latest Void Linux 6.1.4_1 kernel worked really fine for me per my report here:
viewtopic.php?p=78483#p78483

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

@rockedge I've also now booted your KLV-rc7 with that Debian 6.1 kernel. It booted fine too (posting from it right now), but I don't see any real advantage over it to using the official Void 6.1.4_1 kernel per my report in optimising modules thread:
viewtopic.php?p=78483#p78483
viewtopic.php?p=78482&sid=db40abbfecf50 ... ee3#p78482

Also there is no way your new rc7 will boot in Ventoy because you have missed changing boot/grub/grub.cfg name to that of the new iso name.

Above was bare metal normal frugal install test, but I too now tried qemu - just using simple defaults and booted fine RAM0 mode:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64  -boot order=d  -m 2G -enable-kvm -smp 2 -cdrom KLV-Airedale-rc7.iso

I notice I didn't get that 'Earth' space wallpaper on desktop though.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak rc7 is just a test run with the Debian kernel! I really want to put the Void kernel into it.

Total success building the new kernel 6.1.4_1 and have put into KLV-Airedale-rc7.2 here -> viewtopic.php?t=7806

We can keep rc7 available for any interest in running KLV with a Debian kernel.

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”