typeapp seeking advice on how to install

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

MandF

typeapp seeking advice on how to install

Post by MandF »

snapcraft.io/lnstall/typeapp-mail/ubuntu explains how to install typeapp on the ubuntu fossa version using:
"sudo snap install typeapp-mail" (because fossa has "snapd" pre-installed).

We'll be pleased and grateful if any member can tell us how to install "typeapp" on this version of Puppy as we don't understand how to implement the sudo instruction.

mikeslr

Re: typeapp seeking advice on how to install

Post by mikeslr »

NO PUPPY HAS SNAPD INSTALLED.. It is may be possible (but exhausting w/o any assurance of success) to install snapd into fossapup. Edit, scroll down to the paragraph beginning "Oh, I forgot..." for Puppys likely to be the easiest to install snapd. Scroll back up for other alternatives.

I can find no recipe on the Forum. Snapd is theoretically available via Puppy Package Manager. But not as a 'metapackage' which means you'd have to download one possible package --e.g. libsnapd_glib1_1.58 and dependencies-- then try to work out what else might be lacking in order for you to obtain a functional application.
[You can install an alternate package manager (Pkg-cli) into any Puppy. It is kind-of-like apt. So it might be easier to install snapd using it. But, I don't know it well enough to say anything more].

It is also possible to convert at least some snap packages to an SFS which can be loaded into Puppys if the source of the snap package can be found. See, viewtopic.php?p=92673#p92673. But the only download link I could find for typeapp was
'https://snapcraft.io/install/typeapp-ma ... tu#install', an installer application only meaningful to the snapd application, i.e, not translatable for use with curl to download the 'desktop' file. See above reference.

If typeapp is an essential application, you might have better luck with one of the 'debian dogs'. See this discussion. viewtopic.php?p=91022#p91022. But I'd try using one of Operating Systems you'll find in the Kennel Linux SubForum, viewtopic.php?p=91022#p91022. These are 'True' versions of their respective 'base' OSes, merely initiated via an initrd which enables them to run as portables. They employ the respective package managers of their 'base' OS.
KLV airdale is the most advanced of these; but based on Void Linux as to which I've noted some problems with snapd.
KLA is the most recent. But it is based on Arch Linux, typeapp provides a specific install for arch, and arch probably has the most documentation regarding snapd. My exploration of KLA revealed it to be an extremely complete system; perhaps too much so.

I'm slightly more familiar with KLU-Jam, based on Ubuntu Jammy. You should have little (note I didn't say no) problem installing snapd, and once it's working using typeapps installer for Ubuntu.

Oh, I forgot to mention VanillaDpup and Bookworm. While still Puppies, these more closely conform to their actual bases. Installing snapd should be less challenging and typeapp does provide an installer for debian. I'll boot into Bookworm which I have set up and see what else I can tell you about it. dimkr --the author of VanillaDpup-- and whose played a significant role in creating Bookworm may have further insight into how to employ snaps under these operating systems.
Having booted into Bookworm, I remembered that --like Ubuntu and debian-- their package manager is snaptic, but apt can be initiated via a terminal. snapd packages are available, but no meta-package. However, while synaptic does not always pull in all dependencies required to run an application under Puppy*, it fails less often that PPM. Still, if the stock Puppy (mine isn't) doesn't have ListDD, it may be useful in determining what additional packages are needed. Synaptic can usually provide those. ListDD can be obtained here, viewtopic.php?p=32260#p32260

* Puppys are not cut-down versions of any Linux. Rather, they all employ their own, less RAM demanding, infra-structure with the binaries published for their respective base Linuxes. Synaptic expects the infra-structure of Ubuntu/debian to be present and only automatically pulls-in the files for those respective base systems. 'DebianDogs' and Kennel-OSes are NOT Puppys.

MandF

Re: typeapp seeking advice on how to install

Post by MandF »

Mike,

The problem was tricky, far too much so for us, despite all your unbelievably deep and comprehensively helpful response.

Return to “Fossapup64”