Using PUPMODE=13 cannot save session on shutdown. BionicPup can.

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

m-cuda

Using PUPMODE=13 cannot save session on shutdown. BionicPup can.

Post by m-cuda »

I installed Fossapup64 and it seems to work quite well. I have one small problem though. I configured PUPMODE=13. On shutdown the dialog box to save session data ignores all keyboard input including Esc. After 60 seconds it continues without saving.

I read /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and the dialog command seems correct. I then tested the dialog command in a console window under X and it works. I then tried to test the dialog command in the raw console (after exiting X). However after exiting X using the menu the raw console is dead, i.e., not responding to keyboard input. I then tried CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE to exit X and again the raw console is dead.

This is not a big problem as I just save using the desktop save icon before shutting down and I changed the timeout on the dialog to 5 so I don't have to wait 60 seconds.

This problem may be specific to my hardware which is a Dell Inspiron 11 model 3180 laptop with a AMD A6-9220e CPU running Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] (rev eb).

ADDENDUM

I should have mentioned that on this same machine I run BionicPup64 with PUPMODE=13 and the save session dialog works every time and exiting from X using CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE (which I do often) always gives a working raw console. Something has changed from BionicPup64 to Fossapup64.

ANOTHER ADDENDUM

Well if you are like me and use multiple versions of Puppy and only for FossaPup64 do you need to manually save before shutting down you will forget to do this and end up losing an entire session worth of data! My workaround for this is to remind me to save when I shutdown. To do this I edited /usr/sbin/logout_gui changing the line

Code: Select all

poweroff)exec wmpoweroff ;;

to

poweroff)exec mc-wmpoweroff ;;

and adding two files to /usr/bin.

/usr/bin/mc-wmpoweroff:

#!/bin/sh

rxvt -e mc-have-you-saved-session-dialog
PRESHUTDOWNCHECK="`cat /tmp/mc-pre-shutdown-check.txt`"
[ "$PRESHUTDOWNCHECK" != "session saved" ] && exit
exec wmpoweroff

/usr/bin/mc-have-you-saved-session-dialog

#!/bin/sh

echo -n "session not saved" > /tmp/mc-pre-shutdown-check.txt
dialog --title 'Session Saved Confirmation' --colors --yesno '\Z1Have you saved the session? No will abort the exit.' 5 60
[ $? -eq 0 ] && echo -n "session saved" > /tmp/mc-pre-shutdown-check.txt
Last edited by m-cuda on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
TerryH

Re: Using PUPMODE=13 cannot save session file on shutdown

Post by TerryH »

m-cuda wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:41 pm I installed Fossapup64 and it seems to work quite well. I have one small problem though. I configured PUPMODE=13. On shutdown the dialog box to save session data ignores all keyboard input including Esc. After 60 seconds it continues without saving.

I read /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and the dialog command seems correct. I then tested the dialog command in a console window under X and it works. I then tried to test the dialog command in the raw console (after exiting X). However after exiting X using the menu the raw console is dead, i.e., not responding to keyboard input. I then tried CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE to exit X and again the raw console is dead.

This is not a big problem as I just save using the desktop save icon before shutting down and I changed the timeout on the dialog to 5 so I don't have to wait 60 seconds.

This problem may be specific to my hardware which is a Dell Inspiron 11 model 3180 laptop with a AMD A6-9220e CPU running Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] (rev eb).
Luckily on my Dell laptop (Intel i5-5200U) this issue isn't occurring with fossapup, however it was a problem on bionicpup64. Sometimes I got lucky when pressing the Enter key multiple times, after the initial press to do a save. As with your work around, you just have to remember to do a manual save prior to shutdown/reboot.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I configured PUPMODE=13
Is that saying you have Fossapup64 9.5 installed in a way that does not normally have it running in pupmode 13?
If yes.
Exactly what did you do to change it to run in pupmode 13?

It is Fossapup64 9.5 version you have?

My first suggestion is your install just did not go completely correct.
New fresh download of the Fossapup64 9.5 iso.
Fresh new clean install on a freshly formatted partition.

If you cannot do a fresh new partition format.
You check the file system on it, for any errors and fix, before doing an install.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

m-cuda

Post by m-cuda »

Thankyou bigpup for your suggestions but here is what I think (which may or may not be correct) based on my experience of having done 50 - 100 Puppy installs:

If the install is bad then Puppy simply will not start. By "start" I mean the following has been done:
  • initrd.gz and vmlinuz has been loaded into RAM.
  • vmlinuz has started executing.
  • vmlinuz has mounted the partition where the *.sfs exists.
  • vmlinuz has created the loopbacks for the *.sfs files and mounted these loopbacks.
Moreover, after "start" has been reached further execution of Puppy depends only upon the contents of initrd.gz, vmlinuz, the *.sfs files and the parameters to the loader command "linux". Specifically, if a problem occurs after "start" has been done then the source of the problem is in one of the before mention files or the parameters to the loader command "linux". I think these files are exact duplicates of the files on the .iso file. (I don't think there was a media error as a media error would be detected by the device controller and reported to the kernel which would take an appropriate action.)

Anyway, I did a fresh download of fossapup64-9.5 and used Rufus to create a UEFI bootable drive. Running in live mode using the menu item "Exit" -> "Exit to Prompt" I again get a dead console.

Having experienced similar problems in the past I think problem may be in a module specific to my hardware. Alternatively, there may exists a tweak to some configuration file that will fix the problem. (I did not used the Xorg Wizard so the default xorg.conf is used.)
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

menu item "Exit" -> "Exit to Prompt" I again get a dead console.
That is a different problem.
You may have discovered a bug.

I will see what happens on my install of Fossapup64 9.5 and report back.
Do not want to do it right now and loose my, have not read topic list, by closing the browser.

Do not know if it will help you.
Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates
There are some updates.

used Rufus to create a UEFI bootable drive
For making it run in pupmode 13
Whatever boot loader Rufus installed is probably using the wrong pmedia= in the boot menu entry.
How to make Puppy run in pupmode 13
viewtopic.php?p=1121#p1121

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

menu item "Exit" -> "Exit to Prompt" I again get a dead console.
Seems you found a bug.

I tried in my install of Fossapup64 9.5 and does the same thing.

Not sure if 666philb will see this here or how he wants to be told about bugs.

I guess I will make a new topic in this Fossapu64 subsection about this bug.
I think he looks at the new topics posted.
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=922

Forum Global Moderator

m-cuda

Post by m-cuda »

That is a different problem.
I think it is the same problem since the save session dialog runs in the raw console window after X has exited. In each case the raw console window is dead. Although, the scenarios are different there may be some common code executed in both scenarios when the computer transitions from the X display to the raw console and this common code may (or may not - not possible to know until the problem is actually solved) be the source of the problem.

And thank-you I forgot to try "Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates". Will try that sometime later - need to do some other things for a while.

ADDENDUM

Applied the "Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates" and the problem still exists.
Last edited by m-cuda on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I can do a normal shutdown (menu->Exit->shut down or reboot) and the write to save operation is taking place on the shutdown screen.
When complete.
The computer powers off or reboots.

So, yes. They are separate things.

exit to prompt should be just shutting down the GUI x server and computer is still running with only a command prompt for input.
It is not into the complete computer shutdown or reboot process.

Forum Global Moderator

filo

Post by filo »

Hi all,
I'm a new Puppy Linux user (fossapup64 9.5), experiencing exactly the same issue described at the beginning of this post (dialog box to save session at shutdown ignoring all keyboard input). Thanks to m-cuda for the hint on setting the timeout to 5! I haven't tried the workaround yet.

It occurs on only one of my two laptops, a Lenovo V145 (AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G).
Originally, I discovered it booting from an iso USB setting boot parameter pmedia=usbflash, i.e. PUPMODE=13, in order to avoid writing continuously the save file onto the USB.
Then I tried a frugal install on a HD directory (this time I used pmedia=ataflash) and the same thing happened.
I haven't twecked anything else and the system is working just fine, especially on the other, much older, HP laptop (not experiencing this problem).
Just willing to check if I can use it in this way also on the Lenovo one.

MrHull

Post by MrHull »

For what it's worth, I just want to add my voice to this issue in the hope that someone will eventually address it.
I am experiencing this same problem on multiple machines, two are Dells and one an Acer. I have no fix or workaround except (as suggested) to change the timeout and manually save before a shutdown. (Which saves a lot of time -- thank you.)
I do find that every once in a while the dialog IS responsive, which seems to occur if I haven't done much or been running very long. But if I've been doing anything for any length of time then the dialog is completely unresponsive.

bigpup

Re: Using PUPMODE=13 cannot save session on shutdown. BionicPup can.

Post by bigpup »

I am running Fossapup64 9.5 in pupmode 13.
Fully updated by Quickpet->Info->Fossapup Updates
A frugal install on a USB flash drive.
I have it running in pupmode 13 by using the correct pmedia=usbflash in the boot loader menu config file entry.

In Puppy Event Manager->Save Session
First it says I am in pupmode 13.
Save interval st to 0.
Ask at shutdown to save is checked.

Save icon on desktop works.
Ask at shutdown works.

Always save at shutdown also works.

If you have it set to always save at shutdown.
Do understand it could take a long time to completely update the save.
Depending on the speed of the drive and amount of stuff.
It could take several minutes.
All you will see is saving to save message........

It can look like it is hung, because there is no moving indicator saving writes are being done.

Forum Global Moderator

greengeek

Re: Using PUPMODE=13 cannot save session on shutdown. BionicPup can.

Post by greengeek »

Where are the savefiles being stored? What type of device?

Return to “Fossapup64”