Problem with Abiword and "remove builtin packages".

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

PuppyFanatic

Problem with Abiword and "remove builtin packages".

Post by PuppyFanatic »

Hi

The "remove builtin packages" application in the setup menu does not work. A window showing certain codes opens instead.

Another bug is with Abiword. Sometimes (not always) Abiword crashes when I click the save button in the tool bar.
taersh

Re: Problem with Abiword and "remove builtin packages".

Post by taersh »

What's the Puppy version you running?

Abiword is CRAP. It's crap for some years now and it doesn't seem to change. There's lot of other useful Word Processors like Open Office, Libre Office, Textmaker etc.pp. Don't hassle with Abiword. Use another instead. I don't know why it is still built into a Puppy. Abiword is the first program I'm going to remove.

In my Puppy menu entry for remove builtin packages brings up a GUI, so it would be good to know the Puppy version you are using to get some useful help on this issue.

Edit: Ok, I had overseen this is posted in FossPup topic. :lol:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Last edited by taersh on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

666philb

Post by 666philb »

remove builtin packages is working for me.

it's a shame abiword is still crashing, was hoping this would finally be fixed in 3.0.4.
the latest libreoffice is available in quickpet
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The "remove builtin packages" application in the setup menu does not work. A window showing certain codes opens instead.
Is this using Fossapup64 9.5?

Is this the only program you are having problems running?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

PuppyFanatic

Post by PuppyFanatic »

I am running Fossapup64 9.5.

Everything except Abiword and 'Remove builting packages' work fine for me.
PuppyFanatic

Post by PuppyFanatic »

Update: "remove builtin packages" works fine in the original ISO. I am using a remastered version. I think the error is the result of some mistake occurred while remastering.

Thank you all.
bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

The same happened to me after remastering.

In fossapup64, /root/.packages contains a folder called builtin_files-sml. Before remastering, there was a folder called builtin_files, it disappeared when I remastered (must be a new thing the remastering script is not ready for). This builtin_files folder is what the remove builtin packages script is looking for, but only the former remained.

To sort it, one has to edit the remove_builtin script in /usr/sbin and add -sml at the end of line 22

Only thing though is that I can't find abiword on that list, which looks similar to that screenshot above

s243a

Post by s243a »

bigpuppyfan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 pm

The same happened to me after remastering.

In fossapup64, /root/.packages contains a folder called builtin_files-sml. Before remastering, there was a folder called builtin_files, it disappeared when I remastered (must be a new thing the remastering script is not ready for). This builtin_files folder is what the remove builtin packages script is looking for, but only the former remained.

To sort it, one has to edit the remove_builtin script in /usr/sbin and add -sml at the end of line 22

Only thing though is that I can't find abiword on that list, which looks similar to that screenshot above

maybe try copying the list of files contained in the abiword package from the orginal iso to /root/packages/buitin_packages

bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

It was a good idea, I just tried it, but the original iso also only has a builtin_files-sml. In it, there is also no abiword

And I just remembered that when I loaded the original pristine fossapup64, the builtin_files folder was there (must have been created) and thus the script opened with no problem. But after I removed some builtin stuff, the folder disappeared right after those uninstalls. Then I remastered it and this persisted as such (so actually, probably not a remastering script problem)

bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

After all, it was there in the original iso, just not in the puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs, but rather in the adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
This also explains the mystery regarding the -norm and -sml in other files, like for example the puppypin file for the desktop icons which I had an issue with a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to “Fossapup64”