Tixati fills RAM, crashes Fossapup (Solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

pinkie

Tixati fills RAM, crashes Fossapup (Solved)

Post by pinkie »

Hi all!. Need a little help.

I've installed fossa pup on an old dell all in one. It has a 3 series i3 and 4 gigs of ram. And it all seems to work well apart from the following issues.

1) I'm using tixati for torrenting , which works well, apart from the fact it downloads into ram, fills the ram and crashes the computer. I've been through the settings and can't find away to set it to either save to hd or usb stick

2) I've tried to use another torrent app. But the search can't find another app to load the torrent onto.. And I don't know which file it's saved in to select manualy.

Any help or direction appreciated

Pinkie

OscarTalks

Re: Fossa pup and torrenting

Post by OscarTalks »

Open the Puppy Package Manager from Menu > Setup
Search for transmission-3.00-x86_64-fossa
Install that and see if it works better for you.

pinkie

Post by pinkie »

OscarTalks wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:28 pm

Open the Puppy Package Manager from Menu > Setup
Search for transmission-3.00-x86_64-fossa
Install that and see if it works better for you.

That's point 2) I've installed it, but when I click on the magnetic link, I cant find a way to select transmission as the torrent client. It gives me a choice of tixati or choose another. That button takes me to the file system and I have no idea where to go after that

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

OK, first thing, in tixati, to select download location there is a "settings" button near top right corner (2 gear wheels). That opens the settings window, under the "Transfers" section, click the "Locations" item and you should be able to set something like /mnt/home as the location (outside of pup-save so not saved in RAM).

For the issue of being able to click magnet links in a browser and have them launch the torrent client, the first question is, what browser are you using? In Firefox for example, you need to do a tweak in about:config
Create a new boolean:-
network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet and have it set to false
Restart the browser and next time you click on a magnet link you should be offered a dialog which allows you to select your torrent client as the associated handler program.
In the filesystem it would probably be /usr/bin/tixati or /usr/bin/transmission or /usr/bin/transmission-gtk that you have to select.

pinkie

Re: Fossa pup and torrenting solved

Post by pinkie »

OscarTalks wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:57 pm

OK, first thing, in tixati, to select download location there is a "settings" button near top right corner (2 gear wheels). That opens the settings window, under the "Transfers" section, click the "Locations" item and you should be able to set something like /mnt/home as the location (outside of pup-save so not saved in RAM).

For the issue of being able to click magnet links in a browser and have them launch the torrent client, the first question is, what browser are you using? In Firefox for example, you need to do a tweak in about:config
Create a new boolean:-
network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet and have it set to false
Restart the browser and next time you click on a magnet link you should be offered a dialog which allows you to select your torrent client as the associated handler program.
In the filesystem it would probably be /usr/bin/tixati or /usr/bin/transmission or /usr/bin/transmission-gtk that you have to select.

Excellent, thank you, that worked a treat. ,

The browser is palemoon, but as titaxi is now working like a dream, IL save that for another day.

Once again, thanks

mikewalsh

Re: Tixati fills RAM, crashes Fossapup (Solved)

Post by mikewalsh »

@pinkie :-

I've been using Tixati for some years. I've yet to find another torrent client that's as flexible.

I always use the self-contained Linux 'portable' version. This contains both 32-bit AND 64-bit Tixati binaries, making it a breeze to share one single 'install' across multiple Puppies. You just drag the appropriate binary onto the desktop, edit the title and tart it up with an icon to use it as a 'launcher'.

My Tixati-portable sits on a large, external 'data' partition with hundreds of GB to spare. I set it to create its download directory within the Tixati-portable directory, and THEN I sym-link this into /root. Puppy thus 'sees' it as being in /root, and as far as it's concerned that's where it is, but in fact it's completely outside of it.....and is not downloading into RAM or anywhere in the OS at all.

Yet another reason why I strongly recommend the use of 'portable' applications.....especially where the use of sizeable amounts of storage or anything like a database is involved.

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pp4mnklinux

What about....

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi:

Although this post had been solved this is only to know if this could work.

What about use BRAVE BROWSER as default to play with torrent files?

Have a nice day.

Clarity

Re: Tixati fills RAM, crashes Fossapup (Solved)

Post by Clarity »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:16 pm

... on a large, external 'data' partition ...

If you feel comfortable to share, would you share your partition layout of how you maintain all of your portables used within your running systems.

Sounds like an excellent housekeeping approach for 'portable management'.

Return to “Fossapup64”