How to fix windows too large for screen?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

How to fix windows too large for screen?

Post by boof »

there used to be a way of custom editing the max screen size to prevent overscan.

i find many windows mounted with the perimeter rows off-screen, so it's difficult to drag them elsewhere.
my tv automatically assumes an hdmi screen size of 1920x1080, and magnifies it to 58in tv size.. 16:9 ratio.

Grey

Re: fixing overscan?

Post by Grey »

boof wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:28 pm

my tv automatically assumes an hdmi screen size of 1920x1080, and magnifies it to 58in tv size.. 16:9 ratio.

Televisions are not monitors :) I have an LG TV connected to a small desktop computer with a J4205 processor and Fossapup (+ Jammypup & Mint) on board. So if the 16:9 mode is set in the TV settings, then the bottom panel with the system tray and the rest is not visible in Fossapup (and it seems to be any Linux). Therefore, it is necessary to switch the mode in the TV itself... instead of 16:9, set something like "system setup". I don't remember exactly how it is there in English.

Yes, it seemed strange to me. But that's the reality.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@boof: Are you going to report on your fossapup-mmc problem?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is the physical size of the monitor screen?

I think you have the resolution set to low.

Need to use the monitors default resolution.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

boof

Re: How to fix windows too large for screen?

Post by boof »

hdmi input expects a 1920x1080 image, which is not 16:9. it then scales it up to fit. unfortunately this produces some perimeter overscan. i need to mask off the outer edges and or reposition the working screen perimeters?

edit
xorg.conf
amd xorgwizard might be helpful, if not auto reset to default every restart?

how do i cange the colour of the thin bar which i click to drag windows, it's grey and hard to see against a dark taskbar.

boof

Post by boof »

is there a way ro globally control the screen perimeter i can put icons and windows into. by rediucng it slightly, i will suceed.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@boof :-

I have to agree with Grey. Your biggest issue IS that damn TV you insist on using. More than 90% of your display-related issues are directly caused by it. :o

Although TVs can - at a pinch - be used as monitors, they're not designed for such. Consequently, the way in which they work, and translate the output from a GPU, is NEVER going to be as good as a purpose-built monitor that is designed for the job.

And as rcrsn51 has requested, it might be nice - in addition to showing a bit of respect for those that try to assist you! - if you could, just occasionally, at least let us know whether or not assistance rendered has actually helped. It would help us to know if we're doing some good, or if we're just "whistling in the wind". As I've intimated before, the forum is NOT merely some kind of glorified "help-desk"! :roll:

Please bear this in mind in future. Nobody minds helping you, but you're not very good at feedback, mate. It gets frustrating.....fast.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

boof

Post by boof »

the tv is hard to replce with a similar sized monitor. i see no good reason to change it, plus no money. i'm not up with all the jargon nomoclatture, so you have to interpret my intents a little.. sorry abt poor feedback, i'll do better. my mind is not what it was, and will slowly get worse until death, tho' it may not cause my death. i'm 69, and have already outlived what i expected, and there's nothing terminally wrong atm. i could go on for many years yet, no-one knows. It's unusual for mental patients to live so long and with so few problems. i am indeed blessed.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is the make and model of the TV?

If I can find the manual for it.

I will see what it says about using it for a monitor.

I have a TV that actually has a input option for PC monitor and that changes a lot of how it works.

Does yours have input option PC?

PC mode:. It strips away a lot of the video processing that causes lag, and adjusts the image quality.
All TVs are a little different, but typically this means your TV disables scaling, and adjusts the sharpness setting to make the text more readable.

Forum Global Moderator

boof

Post by boof »

yes, has pc in, vga 1024x768[?] scaled up. not sure of image quality, been a while.
tv is Panasonic,TH-P58S20A, a plasma pre smart tv, with vieta.
working well, up to 260w, image dependent.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Here is the manual if you do not have one:
https://www.panasonic.com/au/support/ma ... 8s20a.html
There are some specific things you need to do to use this TV hooked to a PC.

This is the chart of what resolutions can be used based on type connection to the computer.

Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (144.68 KiB) Viewed 382 times

In the TV's internal setup options.
This is another section talking about using it to display output from a computer.

Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 382 times

I think the computers output resolution setting is wrong and you need to try using one of the resolutions, shown in the chart.

Forum Global Moderator

boof

Post by boof »

my bad, hdmi is set 1920x1080 @ 60. it is 16:9. looks i might have to check overscan setting. its off.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

YOu haven't mentioned how this is cabled to your PC.

• Is it VGA/DVI/DP/HDMI port on the PC?

• Is the PC in UEFI mode or BIOS mode?

I seem to remember reading of a similar condition on the old forum with @01micko recommending a TV setting that handled this for a LG Plasma TV over HDMI to the PC's HDMI port. But cannot find that now.

Hope some/any of this is useful

Let us know how you solve this or what you arrived at. Could be important to other members using TVs with their expanded video 'real-estate' for people with aging visual decline

Return to “Fossapup64”