How to change colors of Application Menus?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

sfein1000

How to change colors of Application Menus?

Post by sfein1000 »

I tried searching the forum for this but the search results weren't too helpful for me. In any case:
I'm using fossapup64 9.5
I'm trying to change the colors used for application menus (not the desktop menu - which I found). The menus are white text on a dark gray or black background).
I tried JWM Desktop Manager. That has a theme switcher (which is what I assumed I would need), but the themes provided seem to affect the desktop menu and window borders, but not the application menus.

I tried the Gtk Theme Switcher. That has 3 themes listed, Numix, Numix-dusk and Numix-sun. These change some colors, but again, not the application menus. I tried its colors tab, but everything there was greyed out.

So, what am I missing? Where would I change some underlying OS theme (which I assume is a dark theme of some type that gives white on dark application menus)? Is the issue with the various numix themes and I need to download another theme or is that not related to what I am trying to change?

The solution does not need to be a GUI app, I'm fine with changing config files or running scripts. I just don't know where the information is stored.

Thanks

geo_c

Re: Application Menu Colors

Post by geo_c »

sfein1000 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:44 pm

I tried the Gtk Theme Switcher. That has 3 themes listed, Numix, Numix-dusk and Numix-sun. These change some colors, but again, not the application menus. I tried its colors tab, but everything there was greyed out.

So, what am I missing? Where would I change some underlying OS theme (which I assume is a dark theme of some type that gives white on dark application menus)? Is the issue with the various numix themes and I need to download another theme or is that not related to what I am trying to change?

Thanks

JWMdesk switching GTK should change your menus, but as you say, there aren't very many choices built in to fossapup. You need new themes. Some can be installed using the pup package manager, but you might be interested in something I put together. It's big, so it requires a lot of storage space on the drive you're running fossapup from. But I've done all the downloading and testing of GTK themes up front. My package has a gui that will give you acces to 213 GTK themes that work in fossapup, lots of dark ones, in addition to 78 JWM window manager themes, again lots of dark ones.

Read this post and see what you think.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 105#p71105
You don't have to use the whole theme package (though once downloaded the themes can be symlinked to your fossapup save file/folder and won't take up any space there, just on the /mnt/home drive itself.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

sfein1000

Post by sfein1000 »

Thanks. I may took a look. I'm not a fan of dark themes. I was hoping not to have to download a large package just to get this to work.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

sfein1000 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:50 am

Thanks. I may took a look. I'm not a fan of dark themes. I was hoping not to have to download a large package just to get this to work.

Well you don't have to, you just need a theme that you like. I have grabbed and tested every possible theme from https://www.gnome-look.org/browse?cat=135&ord=rating

There are a few in the package manager. But all you need to do is grab one you like from gnome-look and copy the folder to /usr/share/themes in fossapup. It should appear in JWMdesk GTK chooser.

I thought you said white on dark menus, which would be a dark theme.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

sfein1000 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:50 am

I was hoping not to have to download a large package just to get this to work.

The thing with my package is you can test out a huge amount of themes without installing them.

geo_c

Return to “Fossapup64”