Missing Library Qsynth (Solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Tug

Missing Library Qsynth (Solved)

Post by Tug »

I am missing a library after trying to install Qsynth:

File /usr/bin/qsynth has these missing library files:
libfluidsynth.so.1

I have spent a fair amount of time searching this question on the Internet and finding solutions I don't understand. Isn't this a simple problem? I am missing a file and I should be able to download it from somewhere and put it in the right directory-right?

Can someone explain to me, assuming I am not a Linux genius, where to find the library and how to get it in the right place? I can use the terminal if given specific directions.

Thanks

Below there is more information than you need about me:

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 5.4.53 (x86_64)
Version : #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 26 12:11:02 BST 2020
C Library : GNU C Library / (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.31-0ubuntu9) 2.31
Distribution : Puppy Linux

-Processors-
Package Information
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9300 @ 2.26GHz 0 0:0 2268.00 MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9300 @ 2.26GHz 1 0:1 2268.00 MHz

Puppy Linux FossaPup64 9.5

Last edited by Tug on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiz57

Re: Missing Library Qsynth

Post by Wiz57 »

Found one for Ubuntu for Bionic, but for Fossa they only have libfluidsynth 2 listed, not 1. Might work for you

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd6 ... 1/download

Wiz

Signature available upon request

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

There is a libfluidsynth library available for Fossapup64. But is also a 'series 2' version. Not currently running Fossapup64, I entered libfluidsynth.so in the Search Box offered by pkgs.org. That found nothing relevant. But reducing the search term to just "libfluidsynth" provided this link, https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/20.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html. Doing the same in PPM's search box may reveal the same result. In fact, better. Later versions of a library are often backward compatible. But your system doesn't know that. However, The deb obtained from fossapup64's repository MAY contain a Symbolic link enabling your to avoid the work need to create one. See below.

Left clicking a 'deb' will install it. But information on the referenced link reveals that the deb offered would install libfluidsynth.so.2.3.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/. Only debian and Ubuntu place libraries in folders named 'x86_64-linux-gnu'. Puppys can't find such folders. On Puppys a symbolic link with that name will redirect activity to the respective parent folders /lib, /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib. But I'm not sure that works. So after installing the deb (and restarting-x to have Puppy re-catalog what's now installed) run pfind with the search term "libfluidsynth" to make sure it's been written to /usr/lib. If not, move it. [You could also move it to /root/my-applications/lib. Its a folder unique to Puppys which, obviously, Puppys are designed to find and use]. If there was a symbolic link named libfluidsynth.so.1 in the package, move that as well. The following won't be necessary.

Once libfluidsynth.so.2.3.1 is in a folder Puppy can find, you can tell Puppy to use it. You do this by creating a symbolic link. Open a terminal (Right-Click and empty space > terminal here) in its folder and enter the command:

ln -s libfluidsynth.so.2.3.1 libfluidsynth.so.1

Translating the above to provide an understandable 'general rule':

ln (link) -s (symbolic) file-you-have file-puppy-looks for.

By the way, as fonts can be confusing, the 'l' in ln is a small 'l' as in link, not the number 1 or a capital "L" or capital "I".

Tug

Post by Tug »

I will try what you both suggested and get back in a day or so.
Thanks

Tug

Post by Tug »

It is working now. The solution seems to be a combination of using both suggestions from @Wiz57 and @mikeslr

I downloaded the file, libfluidsynth_1.1.9-1_amd64.deb and right clicked it and used Pextract or pExtract, (Don't remember which or what the difference is between the two), and put it in:
~/my-applications/lib

I created a symbolic link as per @mikeslr in ~/my-applications/lib

Then Qsynth started working. I realized that I had made a spelling error in the symbolic link and named it libfluidsynth1.so.1 instead of libfluidsynth.so.1, so I removed the symbolic link, restarted the computer with just libfluidsynth_.1.1.9-1_amd64 in ~/my-applications/lib and it worked.

So for anyone having the same problem, here is what appears to fix it with less words:
1. Go to: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd6 ... 1/download
2. download libfluidsynth_1.1.9-1_amd64.deb
3. Right click it and use Pextract and move to ~/my-applications/lib
4. Qsynth should start.

Thanks to @Wiz57 and @mikeslr for your help.

Return to “Fossapup64”