Wine says "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work" on Fossapup

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

socr8es

Wine says "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work" on Fossapup

Post by socr8es »

Hi community, I recently started using Puppy Linux and fell in love especially given how happy it makes my RAM. So, I tried building Fossapup using Woof-CE and Run Woof. Thanks to @dimkr and @peebee, build errors were all fixed. But, right now, I am facing another issue while installing Wine on the Fossapup I built. I tried running Wine on the official Fossapup (9.5) downloaded from the website, and that worked perfectly. But, when I try to run it on the default Fossapup I built using the official CE on GitHub, I get the error - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work.
I can see the file in both the folders - /lib and /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. But, somehow Wine doesn't see it.

Wine versions tried on

• One on Quickpet Fossa

• Version 2013's builds

• Portable Wine by @mikeslr

Steps to reproduce

• Build Focal (fossapup) with Woof-CE and load ISO.

• Load 32-bit compatibility sfs from Quickpet or Load SFS on fly

• Install Wine (Quickpet or version2013)

• Run winecfg on terminal > Error

Things I have tried

• Tried symlinking the so.1 file to /lib32

Code: Select all

Tried 64-bit Wine. winecfg runs, but applications do not run

None of these work. Am I missing something?

socr8es

Re: Wine says "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work" on Fossapup

Post by socr8es »

Just updated the list of things I tried with 64-bit Wine. With 64-bit Wine, winecfg does run, but, none of the apps run. Running any application from terminal - wine sample.exe throws the same error as in the title. I am suspecting if it is missing any 32-bit libraries that might be causing this issue.

mikeslr

Re: Wine says "libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work" on Fossapup

Post by mikeslr »

Creating a Wine application is a work of art. Perhaps among Puppy fans only version2013 and shinobar really knows all the secrets. I see you've tried my wine-portable. As I explained the first time I built one "you don't have to know how to build an automobile's engine in order to replace one"; and all I've ever done was replace the engine (wine version) shinobar used with a newer version created by version2013.

I have an idea. But as I'm working on my first cup of coffee, it might just be wishful thinking. The 'libgcc_s.so.1' error you get may be that you're missing the 32-bit version. Fossapup64 can only install the 64-bit version. What you'd have to do is track down the 32-bit version, find the Wine.sfs located in the portable folder, mount it, copy its files to a similarly named folder, place the 32-bit libgcc_s.so.1 in /lib --overwriting any 64-bit version found there-- then dir2sfs that folder and substitute you new SFS for the old. [On second thought, place it in /usr/lib; see below).

And at least three things may prevent that from working: (1) 'Ubuntu' puppys actually can't find folders named '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which is why files Ubuntu locates in such folders are moved in Puppys to /lib folders; (2) newer Puppys are bound by a recently imposed debian/ubuntu Rule that only Devs can locate files in /lib; users can only use the /usr/lib folder; and (3) most importantly in Puppy's 'merge-filesystems-in-RAM' system, SFSes have lower priority so that its content will not be used if another version is located in the base.sfs or SaveFile/Folder; while substituting a 32-bit libgcc_s.so.1 for a 64-bit version in those file systems will break every application which requires a 64-bit version.

Recommendation, use MikeWalsh's WINE 5.11 AppImage, from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191. AppImages are 'self-contained', and have both 32-and-64 bit Wine libraries. They are mounted as a separate system, rather than, like SFS, mounted so that its contents will be 'merged in RAM'.

@ MikeWalsh, recommend that you move the above cited post to its own thread so that it will be easier to find.
@ socr8es, I suspect from your posts that you know far more about Linux than I. I provided details to alert you to Puppy's peculiarities in the hope that in the future you'll be able to accomplish more for Puppy Linux than I can. I'm not bad at visualizing how systems work. But I have no ability to learn languages, and computer languages are languages.

socr8es

Post by socr8es »

mikeslr wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:31 pm

Creating a Wine application is a work of art. Perhaps among Puppy fans only version2013 and shinobar really knows all the secrets. I see you've tried my wine-portable. As I explained the first time I built one "you don't have to know how to build an automobile's engine in order to replace one"; and all I've ever done was replace the engine (wine version) shinobar used with a newer version created by version2013.

I have an idea. But as I'm working on my first cup of coffee, it might just be wishful thinking. The 'libgcc_s.so.1' error you get may be that you're missing the 32-bit version. Fossapup64 can only install the 64-bit version. What you'd have to do is track down the 32-bit version, find the Wine.sfs located in the portable folder, mount it, copy its files to a similarly named folder, place the 32-bit libgcc_s.so.1 in /lib --overwriting any 64-bit version found there-- then dir2sfs that folder and substitute you new SFS for the old. [On second thought, place it in /usr/lib; see below).

And at least three things may prevent that from working: (1) 'Ubuntu' puppys actually can't find folders named '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which is why files Ubuntu locates in such folders are moved in Puppys to /lib folders; (2) newer Puppys are bound by a recently imposed debian/ubuntu Rule that only Devs can locate files in /lib; users can only use the /usr/lib folder; and (3) most importantly in Puppy's 'merge-filesystems-in-RAM' system, SFSes have lower priority so that its content will not be used if another version is located in the base.sfs or SaveFile/Folder; while substituting a 32-bit libgcc_s.so.1 for a 64-bit version in those file systems will break every application which requires a 64-bit version.

Recommendation, use MikeWalsh's WINE 5.11 AppImage, from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191. AppImages are 'self-contained', and have both 32-and-64 bit Wine libraries. They are mounted as a separate system, rather than, like SFS, mounted so that its contents will be 'merged in RAM'.

@ MikeWalsh, recommend that you move the above cited post to its own thread so that it will be easier to find.

Thanks for this. I didn't know that appimages existed. I will try this and let you know.

Return to “Fossapup64”