Utility makes built-in package into sfs file

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

amethyst

Utility makes built-in package into sfs file

Post by amethyst »

Okay, I don't use this Puppy but apparently all the applications are in a separate adrv? Now, you may not want to use all the applications (maybe only need some) in the adrv and load them as extra sfs files or even do a remaster and include them in the base sfs. I have a utility called Package-Extractor (which is part of my utility suite) which copies/extracts a package from the builtin system and rebuids it into an sfs file. Not sure if it will work but if the adrv is loaded and the packages show at /root/.packages (or a link to the latter) it should be able to extract the package you want. Anyways, just a thought. Maybe someone can try it and report back.

Jasper

Re: Package extractor

Post by Jasper »

Amethyst

Will the application also take the dependencies/icons etc as well?

amethyst

Re: Package extractor

Post by amethyst »

Jasper wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:04 pm

Amethyst

Will the application also take the dependencies/icons etc as well?

No, only the files as listed in the specific package file.

amethyst

Re: Utility makes built-in package into sfs file

Post by amethyst »

A further tip for using this utility. If you install packages manually, a .file for the utility will probably be created in /var/packages (or /root/.packages for older Puppys). This is similar to the builtin applications shown in the builtin_files folder. If you symlink these .files to the builtin_files folder, it should show up in the list with the builtin files when you run the Package-Extractor utility. You can then extract and rebuild the application as an sfs with the utility.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

I would like to try this myself but am a little shaky on how to create the symlink as instructed.

In my instance, do I create the link as shown and then just copy of the link into the default builtin_files directory?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Jasper

Left-click the package file you want to process and drag it to the builtin_files folder > select Link (relative) from popup menu > run the utility (that file should be in the list now) > delete the link in the builtin_files folder afterwards if you want to.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

Thank you for such a quick response.

Can you take a look at my thread here and let me know if this is possible/correct?

viewtopic.php?t=7686

I am trying to create a symlink within an application with the ultimate aim of it becoming a SFS.

So my idea was to create the symlink, then install the application and finally then proceed onto your application to make the SFS.

Hope this makes sense?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Jasper
Did you make a .pet of the updated Perl and installed it and it doesn't work correctly? In general lots of things can go wrong when installing stuff on top of a previous install of the same application. Best would be to completely remove the older version first manually and then install (load) the newer version. The pet can be converted to an sfs file.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

I do not know enough about the application and it's integration into Puppy to remove it successfully.

Also, I am cross-posting with this issue.

Once I resolve the symlink/Perl, then I can come back to this thread and make sure I can create the SFS correctly :thumbup:

Thanks again

**EDIT**

This is the Perl application I compiled.

**EDIT** Removed link

Last edited by Jasper on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Jasper
The remove builtin packages script and my extracting tool are two different applications (although the later is based on the remove builtin packages tool, sort of). Don't get confused with this, the results are totally different. My extraction tool only copies package files from the filesystem and then repackage it as an SFS (there is no impact on the running filesystem, the files are not removed).

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst Okay, got it.

Once I have fixed my initial issue, I will revisit this thread :thumbup2:

Thank you

Return to “Fossapup64”