Desktop background: Odd behaviour

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Snail

Desktop background: Odd behaviour

Post by Snail »

This happens every time that I boot up. To simplify things, I booted up by selecting "ram no save". Making no changes in the setup dialogs, I just wait. On first boot, and even after I exit the dialogs, the desktop looks normal, background, icons, including the drive icons, and the bottom screen panel. A few seconds after exiting the dialogs, Conkey pops up and at the same time the desktop background jumps in size This results in the word Fossapup only showing "Fossa" and the vertical stroke of the "P" in pup, the rest is cut off at the right edge of the screen. Oddly, eveything else on the screen, including Conkey, seems to stay right where they were, in the correct place. Puppy has guessed the screen resolution at 1280X1024 at 60Hz. The true display resolution is 1280X1024 at 75Hz. My fiddling with those settings didn't fix any thing, mind you, I don't really know what I am doing.

I am booting a USB flash stick that I created using Rufus 3.17. The Hardinfo report on the system is:

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory : 7822MB (603MB used)
Machine Type : Desktop
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 28 Jul 2022 15:46:36 +08
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500 (IVB GT1)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST500NM0011
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
UFD 2.0 Silicon-Power16G

The monitor is an ancient HP1730 17-inch LCD.

Any thoughts? Obviously this isn't a critical fault but it's a bit weird.

Burunduk

Re: Desktop background: Odd behaviour

Post by Burunduk »

What is the current background mode? If it's set to "fit", then it's wrong for your screen aspect ratio.

To see/change the mode:
Main MENU button -> Desktop -> JWM desk manager -> in the program window click the big "Background" button
The new window will appear where you can select the mode. Try to set it to Scale or anything else, not to Fit. Then click the "Apply" button.

You can restart conky to see if the background is not affected: click the file desktop icon -> open the Startup directory -> click the conkystart file.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Hi Burunduk, I tried your recommendation. "Scale" resulted in a big black vertical strip of background covering about 85% of the screen. Reverting to "Fit" resulted in a uniform black background. I have no idea where the Fossapup background has gone, nor how to get it back. Not a biggie, I guess.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Conky had some bugs in the release iso.
It was affecting stuff as you are saying.

quickpet icon on desktop.
There are some fixes provided by Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates

If you have already made a save.
Then boot using it before doing the update.
Reboot making sure to update the save.

If not made a save.
Will need to shutdown making a save to put these changes in.

Reboot using the save so the changes are now being used.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

Could you repeat the steps? But now in the background settings window, select the fossa-dusk.jpg file from the list on the left side. You will see the image on the right preview area. The black square is the first image in the list and it's selected when you open the settings. So you need to choose the image too, not only the mode. You could also try other options besides scale to see what looks better.

Snail

Post by Snail »

Hi Bigpup, Burunduk,

I ran the Fossapup Updates which did not fix the issue. I then followed Burunduk's suggestions. "Stretch" or "Distort" both give acceptable results. "Scale" does not work at all well.

Incidentally, the updates fixed the Osmo contacts issue.

Thank you both for your help.

Return to “Fossapup64”