FossaPup64 9.5 USB won't boot on some PCs (solved)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Minaz

FossaPup64 9.5 USB won't boot on some PCs (solved)

Post by Minaz »

I tried using my new USB loaded with FossaPup64 9.5 on a Windows 11 Dell PC today and it threw a security violation and then proceeded to freak out until it eventually booted back to Windows. This USB works fine on my older Lenovo that has Windows 10 on it.

What kind of compatibility issue am I facing and is it due to Windows 11 (if so, can FossaPup64 co-exist with it)?

Last edited by bigpup on Wed May 11, 2022 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added solved to subject to show that issue was solved
wizard

Re: FossaPup64 9.5 USB won't boot on some PCs

Post by wizard »

You're undoubtedly running into UEFI/Secure Boot issues. Read this topic to help understand viewtopic.php?t=5294

You may or may not be able to co-exist depending on several factors including your particular setup and if you created your USB to include the Puppy certificate.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

williams2

Post by williams2 »

on https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-c ... ell-Device it says:

Note: Switching the Boot Mode from Legacy to UEFI will make the current Windows installation unbootable and requires the reinstallation of Windows. Ensure to backup your personal data before you proceed with this action.

Also, be sure MS Windows does not hibernate. including Fast Startup.

Minaz

Post by Minaz »

wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:29 pm

You're undoubtedly running into UEFI/Secure Boot issues. Read this topic to help understand viewtopic.php?t=5294

You may or may not be able to co-exist depending on several factors including your particular setup and if you created your USB to include the Puppy certificate.

wizard

Thanks. I looked into what you said, and there was a fat****.cer on the USB which I tried to use to authenticate. I loaded the certificate but when I rebooted to USB, I got a message saying that the bootloader did not verify the boot image or something like that, then system halted, and it went right back into Windows.
I did not try disabling secure boot because Windows 11 requires TPM.

wizard

Post by wizard »

Make a new USB using Menu>Setup>Stickpup. It will have the file puppy.cer certificate that works on my systems.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Minaz

Post by Minaz »

wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:38 pm

Make a new USB using Menu>Setup>Stickpup. It will have the file puppy.cer certificate that works on my systems.

wizard

Awesome, this worked. Only the third time reinstalling from fresh! For linux, a record :p But the bright side is I don't have to worry about the uninstalling problem in my other thread.

/sarcasm off

Seriously thanks, it works now, hopefully I can get it to work everywhere I go that I have access to bios :p This was the one problem I envisioned with puppy that is now resolved and I can be 100% confident in its use since Windows 11 and TPM did not obsolete it.

Return to “Fossapup64”