Gimp sfs does nothing in Fossapup64

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Shloz

Gimp sfs does nothing in Fossapup64

Post by Shloz »

I downloaded the sfs for Gimp from the Puppy repository at ibiblo. Took it from the /Fossapup64 folder. I can't do it through quickpet because I don't have a reliable internet connection where I am. So I used my phone to dl it directly.
Problem: loading the sfs doesn't seem to do anything, it claims it's loaded and updates the menu but there isn't anything there. When I check the structure of the sfs it isn't the same as the LibreOffice sfs, for example there's no /opt directory...
Please help.
Shloz

666philb

Re: Gimp sfs in Fossapup64

Post by 666philb »

hi Shloz,

try running gimp in a terminal and see what it says

Code: Select all

gimp
Shloz

Post by Shloz »

I tried. It says "no such command" or something similar to that.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

that would suggest that it isn't loaded, maybe try right clicking on it and sfsload again.
Shloz

Post by Shloz »

I know, I tried unloading and then loading a few times, I also did a reboot. Like I wrote in my original post I wonder about the file structure in this sfs...
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I did a quick test of it here and it loads, starts and runs OK from menu entry or from terminal.
This package does not put any files under the /opt directory, many don't, so that is not the problem. Stuff is in places like /usr/bin /usr/lib and /usr/share which is more common actually. You may need to provide more details of how FossaPup is installed and any other steps you have taken.
Shloz

Post by Shloz »

Thanks for testing it.
I have Fossapup64 installed on a usb stick. As far as I know I didn't do anything unusual. Everything is working perfectly including the LibreOffice 6.4 sfs I downloaded.
taersh

Post by taersh »

After loading the GIMP sfs, is it listed inside the sfs_load GUI?
Probably there's something wrong with its permissions...
...I experienced such issues on some .sfs modules in earlier Puppies, so even the sfs was loaded the program wouldn't run.
Probably it's also a defected download?

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Shloz

Post by Shloz »

I just booted with the ram only option and I was able to load the Gimp sfs and everything worked. I guess I have to back up my files and start over. Must be something wrong in my pupsave...
Thanks everyone for the help and input. Shloz
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I want to go down the rabbit hole, trying to figure out what is wrong, in your save :thumbup2: :D :ugeek: :o :lol:
Come on!

Keep in mind, Fossapup64 9.xxxx is still in final testing and bug fixing.
You may have discovered a bug :shock: :o :ugeek:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Shloz

Post by Shloz »

bigpup wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:53 pm I want to go down the rabbit hole, trying to figure out what is wrong, in your save :thumbup2: :D :ugeek: :o :lol:
Come on!

Keep in mind, Fossapup64 9.xxxx is still in final testing and bug fixing.
You may have discovered a bug :shock: :o :ugeek:
Maybe... But I suspect it's because I had Gimp installed using PPM and then uninstalled it to use the sfs version. It must have left over some remnants from the previous install which prevented the sfs from working properly. All sorted now that I started over.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Shloz :-

I guess you've probably decided against it due to size considerations (I admit there still aren't that many Puppians with 16GB or more of RAM!), but.....did you ever try the GIMP AppImage?

It runs fine here in Bionicpup64; it may be a while before I get around to trying FossaPup. I'm one of those that prefers something a bit more stable as I get older; my days of willingly jumping in and helping out with testing the new Pups are starting to recede a bit....

However, if you fancy giving it a try, the newest version can be found here:-

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage

That's a direct link to the most recent, fully-loaded build (with all plugins) from aferrero at Github. :)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Maybe... But I suspect it's because I had Gimp installed using PPM and then uninstalled it to use the sfs version. It must have left over some remnants from the previous install which prevented the sfs from working properly
If you kept your old save.
You can use Pfind, to do a search in it, for anything Gimp.
Maybe discover something to delete, to get the save to now work, with the Gimp.sfs.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Shloz

Post by Shloz »

bigpup wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 pm
Maybe... But I suspect it's because I had Gimp installed using PPM and then uninstalled it to use the sfs version. It must have left over some remnants from the previous install which prevented the sfs from working properly
If you kept your old save.
You can use Pfind, to do a search in it, for anything Gimp.
Maybe discover something to delete, to get the save to now work, with the Gimp.sfs.
Nah I didn't. I was good and frustrated and I deleted it. But everything is working and set up now.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

FWIW:

I also had a problem with the Gimp.sfs via quickpet. [But than, it was the only one which didn't throw up a lot of 'missing libs' notices]. The problem was that although gimp could be started via terminal neither OOTB nor any amount of fiddling would produce a Menu entry. Sometimes trying to examine its /usr/share/applications/ desktop file also generated an error. I finally replaced it with the following started from scratch but modeled after a gimp desktop file that was functional under a different Puppy:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=GIMP Image Editor
GenericName=Image Editor
Comment=Create images and edit photographs
Exec=gimp
TryExec=gimp-2.10
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gimp.png
Terminal=false
Categories=RasterGraphics;
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/x-pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/x-xcf;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-gimp-gbr;image/x-gimp-pat;image/x-gimp-gih;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/x-psp;application/postscript;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/svg+xml;application/pdf;image/x-wmf;image/jp2;image/jpeg2000;image/jpx;image/x-xcursor;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gimp20

If you use the above, make sure there's a png where icon= 's expects it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:10 pm

FWIW:

I also had a problem with the Gimp.sfs via quickpet. [But than, it was the only one which didn't throw up a lot of 'missing libs' notices]. The problem was that although gimp could be started via terminal neither OOTB nor any amount of fiddling would produce a Menu entry. Sometimes trying to examine its /usr/share/applications/ desktop file also generated an error. I finally replaced it with the following started from scratch but modeled after a gimp desktop file that was functional under a different Puppy:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=GIMP Image Editor
GenericName=Image Editor
Comment=Create images and edit photographs
Exec=gimp
TryExec=gimp-2.10
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gimp.png
Terminal=false
Categories=RasterGraphics;
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/x-pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/x-xcf;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-gimp-gbr;image/x-gimp-pat;image/x-gimp-gih;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/x-psp;application/postscript;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/svg+xml;application/pdf;image/x-wmf;image/jp2;image/jpeg2000;image/jpx;image/x-xcursor;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gimp20

If you use the above, make sure there's a png where icon= 's expects it.

There is an awful lot of extraneous crap in most .desktop entries. Since building my own for the last few years, the only items that are essential are:-

• [Desktop Entry]

• Encoding=UTF-8 - helps with Western, 'Latin' languages

• Name=????

• Exec=/path/to/application

• Icon=/path/to/icon

• Type=Application

• Terminal=false - very few apps actually need the teminal to run

• Categories=X-?????

'Mime-types' helps with certain types of app.....like any graphics app, where you want a certain app to always open when you work with specific file-types.

Most apps that come from the Gnome Project's 'stable' try to cram in 'Locales' for the almost 200 different languages in regular use around the world! Mostly, you can delete whatever doesn't apply to you, or if you build your own, just include the one you require.

Version=1.0 - ??? Never understood this. Deleting makes no difference at all to Puppy; must be another Gnome-related 'standardisation'.

'Generic name'; 'TryExec'.......umm, WHY? Pointless, IMO.

--------------------------------------------

A lot of this stuff is also added to comply with standardised file-system/file-management practice in the mainstream distros, which all use 'standard' WMs/DEs, too. Much of this is usually inapplicable to Puppy, and needlessly clutters up the save.....for us, editing these things is quite in order. As long as you have those few lines I outlined above, you'll always have a functional MenuEntry.

Menu sub-categories are the one thing I'm never too sure about. Would anybody happen to know if we have a more thorough 'breakdown' of these someplace?

----------------------------------------------

@mikeslr :-

I've always found that half the trouble with Quickpet is that it doesn't always seem to pull in needed dependencies.....unlike the PPM itself.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Re: Gimp sfs does nothing in Fossapup64

Post by mikeslr »

Mike, you're undoubtedly correct about all the unnecessary arguments in the desktop file. :thumbup:

But after spending a couple of hours trying to get other versions of gimp to work, and other possible fixes, having isolated my problem to the arguments used by the desktop file, I just wanted something which in my experienced had worked and was no longer in an exploratory let's-see-what-happens mode. :)

Return to “Fossapup64”