How to run Rednotebook in FossaPup? (SOLVED)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Subito Piano

How to run Rednotebook in FossaPup? (SOLVED)

Post by Subito Piano »

Ahh....back in the saddle again. After a year's hiatus from Puppy (due to issues with a new weird laptop i inherited), it flt so good to be back to Puppy.

I'm setting up FossaPup. and i'm almost done, but i've used Rednotebook for years on previous Puppies and i can't get it to work on Fossa. The only pets i see are versions 1.14 and 1.3. I downloaded and installed from this page -- but it's old, and it messed up my Zim installation (python issues??). THAT took a while to straighten out!!.

I can give more details on the error messages i received if i try reinstalling it (for one thing, it couldn't find the rednotebook.journal file) --but it's really late and i gotta get up early. The pet packages are really old, anyway....

BTW, i'm on 64-bit, IDK if those old pet packages are for 32-bit or if it makes a difference.

Insight appreciated.....thanks!

Last edited by Subito Piano on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

"God is love" - I John 4:16
Member since 2007. Currently running Fossa on a 2012 MacBook Air.
Still using Xenial 32 on my trusty 2007 IBM T60 warhorse. ♥
(A/V Linux for live softsynth needs)

bigpup

Re: How to run Rednotebook in FossaPup?

Post by bigpup »

For 32 bit software.
Quickpet has the 32bit compatibility sfs you can download and load.
With it loaded, 32bit software will run in Fossapup64.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Thanks, BigPup!

Unfortunately, still no go. I now have a feeling it's not the 64-bit / 32-bit issue but I don't have time to test that hypothesis now. There have been several issues showing up attempting to run it from terminal and I'm getting nowhere at the moment. When I have some more free time I can dig some more....right now I'm stealing time from other things.

BTW, sorry to reply to you so late. For some reason, even though I've checked the forum's tick box to be notified when a reply comes in, I never received a notice that you had replied the same day I posted....strange, I'll have to check my spam folder, perhaps my mailbox doesn't like the new forum. Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback.

Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Well, it's after 11PM and I kept at it. No go, not natively. I downloaded wine from QuickPet and got the portable Windoze version of Rednotebook (and ONLY the portable version) to run. Whatta waste of resources downloading wine at 226MB! Image

Maybe I should switch over to Lifeograph....but I don't think I can import my old Rednotebook files.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The instructions for Ubuntu Focal Fossa, appear to be simple: https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... ntu-20-10/ involving little more beyond the one-line to select rednotebook's repository. But this is Puppy, where adding a repository to Puppy Package Manager is a major undertaking.
However, a while back Sc0ttman published pkg-cli, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 9f#p985531. It may be built-into Fossapup64. [It's on mine; but maybe as a result of a remaster]. I've only used it once, and not for anything like this. But there have been posts of being able to use it to install applications that otherwise would have been more-difficult-to-impossible.

"apt-get-like", one of the easy things to do with pkg-cli is add repositories. I'd suggest reading thru its thread and the couple posts on the New forum then giving it a try. I'd also suggest backing up your Save, just in case.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I rather think Mike's got the right end of this particular stick, y'know.

RedNoteBook is a Python application - Python3, in this case - and Python can be a dyed-in-the-wool absolute pig to troubleshoot when it doesn't behave itself.

You can't use 'ListDD' (ldd) to figure out what's missing, because that only works on compiled binaries. Python is nothing more than a bunch of scripts, so ldd is useless.

I just installed the 18.04 version of RedNotebook 2.2.2 to Bionicpup64. That was fairly easy - just a couple of missing items - but then I DO have 'my-weather-indicator' running in Bionic64; another Python3 app that needs a TON of modules'n'stuff to run properly. Most of what RedNotebook needs is probably there already....

----------------------------------

I tried getting it to run in a 'virgin' Fossapup64. No matter what I tried - and THAT was plenty! - I kept butting my head into the seemingly impassable brick wall of 'trace breakpoint/trap' with 'glib-gio'.

'My-weather-indicator' also runs in Fossapup64, too.....and was installed using sc0ttman's pkg-cli. It may indeed be your best solution; use it to install from the rednotebook PPA.

Just my tuppence-worth, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

666philb

Post by 666philb »

paste this into a terminal

Code: Select all

petget https://launchpad.net/~rednotebook/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/rednotebook_2.22-0~202104251515~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb
pkg get python3-gi gir1.2-gtk3.0 gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 python3-yaml
rednotebook
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@666philb :-

Hm. I wasn't so far out after all. That works nicely, Phil; I thought pkg-cli would probably be the best tool for this one...

@Subito Piano :-

There ya go, mate. Follow Phil's instructions.....and you should be "sorted". Do be aware, each of those three lines wants pasting in separately; in fact the last one is simply to fire it up.....the first & second lines are the important ones.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Subito Piano

Post by Subito Piano »

Cool!

First, IDK why I'm not being notified of replies -- hence my late response. I'll check my settings....again.

Second, being on Thanksgiving break and having some time, I went to the rednotebook download page for Debian Buster, downloaded all the listed dependencies that weren't already included with FossaPup (didn't install Python3), downloaded Rednotebook and installed it -- voilà! It worked.

Third, I thought I'd post back on my success -- but Phil beat me to the punch with his tidy little terminal command. Very good! :thumbup2:

I thought I'd have to live without Puppy again...nope!! Thanks, Phil, way cool. You too, Mike & others who posted.

[EDIT: I think I found the issue with me not being notified of replies. In my user control panel, i had my preferences set correctly in "Manage notification options," but poking about, i noticed that in "Edit posting defaults" i had not checked "Notify me upon replies by default." Hopefully i'm all set now.]

Subito Piano

Re: How to run Rednotebook in FossaPup? (SOLVED)

Post by Subito Piano »

FOLLOW UP as of August 2022 for anyone who wishes to install Rednotebook in FossaPup -- the link in the first line of terminal command posted by 666philb above no longer exists, but the other lines of command still work. To install Rednotebook, you'll now have to enter the following:

Code: Select all

petget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rednotebook/rednotebook_2.21+ds-1_all.deb
pkg get python3-gi gir1.2-gtk3.0 gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 python3-yaml
rednotebook

Return to “Fossapup64”