How to use pci-e wifi adapter card in Fossapup?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Fishy

How to use pci-e wifi adapter card in Fossapup?

Post by Fishy »

My new apartment has WiFi only. I had to purchase a new pci-e WiFi card which is Linux compatible. Ubuntu found it when booting - no issues. My Fossapup 64 is a different story as it doesn't have the required driver. Can I download a full kernel from the forum for Fossa with Ubuntu, save it on a usb thumb drive. I would then boot Fossa from dvd change the kernel and then do a frugal install. Hopefully a full 5.? is available.

Hopefully the above is understandable as I find Ubuntu as slow to respond as Windows. No this is not a dual boot machine at this time.

AMD Athalon Phenom dual core, 4 gig of memory.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: kernel Change
Marv

Re: kernel Change

Post by Marv »

Before all that, just run

lspci | grep -i network

and let's see what your network adapter is. Firmware for net cards is carried in the fdrv, not in the zdrv that comes with a kernel and knowing the exact card will help with locating appropriate firmware.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

bigpup

Re: kernel Change

Post by bigpup »

When you know what the WIFI adapter is identified as.

You could also try this:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=635

When we know for sure what the adapter is identified as, then we know what you will need.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Fishy

Re: How to use pci-e wifi adapter card in Fossapup?

Post by Fishy »

Ran the terminal and got: Network controller Intel Corp WiFi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)

Box says it is WiFi 6 AX200 NGW(AX3000). On another spot on the box it reads Model AX3000 dated March.6.21

Marv

Post by Marv »

That card should be supported directly by any kernel newer than 5.1. The fossapup64 kernel is 5.4.53 so it should be ok. What is the kernel version in the Ubuntu that does work?

Code: Select all

uname -a

in terminal should tell you. Since that driver is supposed to be direct in the kernel a kernel swap might be in order. I'll bounce into my fossapup and see how it runs swapping the newest kernel I have, 5.14.9 for the stock 5.4.53.

I'm assuming that the ubuntu and fossapup installs are to the same hardware, right? Some reports of that card only working in an x1 PCIE slot, not in x2 or x4s but the ubuntu sucess should rule that out.

OK, 5.14.9 seems fine in my fossapup64 install. To do a manual kernel swap, assuming a frugal install and backing up any save file/folder and your vmlinux and zdrv files first, download the kernel from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /interims/, pextract it, rename the vmlinux-xxx file to vmlinux and the kernel-modules-xxx file to zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs, put those in your frugal boot dir for fossapup and reboot. I often set up a new 'experimental' boot directory for one off trials such as this and just blitz it if the attempt isn't fruitful. Takes about as long to write as to do.

Last edited by Marv on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Fishy - you probably need firmware. As well as checking kernel as requested above, to see if any firmware missing, please run in a terminal:
dmesg | grep irmware

Fishy

Post by Fishy »

got crazy and found a mini dvd in the box.
had info on it to add firmware code and it now works.

Return to “Fossapup64”