Fail to boot; partition problem?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

WalmartFatty

Fail to boot; partition problem?

Post by WalmartFatty »

Hello,

I've had PuppyLinux Fossa64 working on a USB before, but now I can't get it to work. I had a FreeBSD image installed to the USB drive to install FreeBSD then I put PuppyLinux Fossa back on the USB drive. It would show up as UEFI, which didn't happen before. When I try to boot normally from the BIOS selection it wouldn't work and would drop to a grub prompt. When I select the UEFI boot option for that USB it would boot, but pupsaves didn't work. I couldn't save ram or keep files or anything on the USB.

I then redid the partition table on the USB as MSDOS partition table and then formatted the USB as ext4. Then used a balenaEtcher.AppImage from Debian to install puppy to the USB. Tried to boot from the USB (the UEFI option is now gone), but I get failed to boot.
Also, FreeBSD formatted the USB as GPT UEFI when I put the install image on it. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

What am I doing wrong?

Feek

Re: Fail to boot; partition problem?

Post by Feek »

I may be wrong but I think that after creating a new partition table and formatting, everything what was there before is gone. So what the freeBSD did with the usb before should not be a problem.

But the balena etcher could be the cause. Look at the bigpup's post about installing puppy to usb from other operating systems and try other program if possible
viewtopic.php?f=156&t=157

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I think I am going to have to remove balena etcher from that list of recommended USB installers.
That is the installer that seems to not work very well.
I have good luck using Unetbootin installer.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Feek

Post by Feek »

bigpup wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:11 pm

I think I am going to have to remove balena etcher from that list of recommended USB installers.

the red warning at Etcher is, in my opinion, perfectly understandable. Rather, I feel that etcher is very popular among users.

WalmartFatty

Post by WalmartFatty »

Thanks for your replies. I managed to get a working USB install again by first using dd command to install puppy fossa to a USB, then booting from that USB to properly install puppy to a different USB so that pupsaves would work.

Thanks guys.

Return to “Fossapup64”