Wine appimages: Wow

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

peppyy

Wine appimages: Wow

Post by peppyy »

So I have been playing with wine to get a couple old win apps like (EQ3D) to run and I am totally impressed with this appimage. :thumbup:
It is , (wine-staging-linux-x86-v5.11-PlayOnLinux-x86_64.AppImage ).

I have had problems with wine for a while and spent most of the day working on figuring out why none of them wouldn't work or didn't have internet after I installed them.

It is a big file however it makes wine very user friendly. All I had to do was to make it executable, (right click and choose permissions, then choose, a=x Make executable and searchable) .

I then selected a single .exe file, Right click in it and choose the (open with) and chose the appimage for the default, (drag and drop) "set run action" in the puppy right click menu" and it came alive.

I did download the suggested plugins that wine asked for during setup, (And it also is a rather large file) however it allows you to open files from win 2.0 to win10.

I tried this first when I installed Fossapup 64 9.5 on my wife's HP all in one touchscreen desktop a couple weeks ago to get her older win games running and it worked like a charm. I actually copied the appimage from her computer and put it in ~root/my-applications in mine and it acted like it didn't know the difference.

Another happy puppy.
PS: we are both running a frugal install on a fairly large ext4 partition.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikewalsh

Re: Wine Wow

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

Heh. Seems like across the community, we have multiple different ways of running Windoze stuff.

I've tried those AppImages in Bionicpup64. They DO work very, very well, and make setting up WINE a breeze, even for noobs.

However; I've never got on with WINE64. 32-bit WINE just 'works' for me, and always has. I 'run' a common install of this across the kennels, from an auto-mounted external partition, sym-linked into every Pup at the appropriate points via a .pet composed of nothing BUT sym-links! Runs natively in 32-bitzers, and via the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS in 64-bitzers.

Mikeslr also "encouraged" me into putting together a script which, immediately after installing/setting-up WINE, will permit you to move the 'bulky' parts of it out to /mnt/home, followed by deleting the originals & sym-linking the now 'remote' bits back again. It, too, works nicely, and keeps all the 'heavy' stuff outside the 'save'.

In addition to the single, common, 'external' WINE install, I also have another externally-mounted/sym-linked directory containing a whole bunch of Windoze PortableApps. I like these because you don't actually 'install' them at all, just run them from the .exe file in their individual folders (where they also keep a 'mini'-registry, not linked to the main one at all). Many PortableApps run very well in Puppy, too.

You should be able to run these under the WINE AppImage, I would think.....though I haven't, as yet, tried this. Principle remains the same, though. If you're interested, you can find 'em here:-

https://portableapps.com/apps

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

taersh

Post by taersh »

@mikewalsh

I still have lots of 32bit Windows PortableApps from downloading in 2012/13 that still work well with the Wine AppImage in my Bionic64 built. There's also some installed programs that work as portable after copying all its installed content into a single directory. Like e.g. Designer (MicroGrafX, near center 2nd row) and PicturePublisher (Ulead, 6th row on the right).

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 890 times

But mainly I'm using the Wine AppImage connected to the use of Windows VST-PlugIns (Synthesizers, Samplers, FX etc.pp.) in Qtractor doing music.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@taersh :-

Interesting you should mention ULead's PicturePublisher. For a long time, I've been trying to find a copy of ULead's PhotoExpress 3.0 se; when I bought my first-ever digital camera, some 16-17 years ago - a Vivitar, as I recall - PhotoExpress was included on a CD with it. I used this for some years as my main photo editor, and became very handy with it.

Never been able to find the exact version I had originally, though.....and I don't even know if it'll run under WINE (it used M$'s .NET framework, IIRC....urrgh!!)

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

taersh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 am

@mikewalsh

I still have lots of 32bit Windows PortableApps from downloading in 2012/13 that still work well with the Wine AppImage in my Bionic64 built. There's also some installed programs that work as portable after copying all its installed content into a single directory. Like e.g. Designer (MicroGrafX, near center 2nd row) and PicturePublisher (Ulead, 6th row on the right).

Screenshot.jpg

But mainly I'm using the Wine AppImage connected to the use of Windows VST-PlugIns (Synthesizers, Samplers, FX etc.pp.) in Qtractor doing music.

:lol: My better half would be jealous. She has been wanting her old "Picture it" back since she went to XP and it refused to install on that. I even have all 5 install disks, however, it sent us into a reboot loop on wine. Hers was the MS version and upon further research it appeared you needed office 98 installed to make it work so I gave up when she needed to use her computer.

I read the thread about using portable wine on a separate partition, Huck Finn, and by the time I read through the thread twice my brain was mush from being so out of practice. I took a break and copied her appimage on to a pen drive and was up and running. Sometimes I really need the KISS protocol lately to get anything done. :roll:

Still working out some of the bugs on my hardware too.

Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

bigpup

Re: Wine appimages: Wow

Post by bigpup »

Got a download link for this and maybe other Wine appimages?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

bigpup wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:38 am

Got a download link for this and maybe other Wine appimages?

It was at github.
https://github.com/mmtrt/Wine_Appimage/releases
I believe it was
wine-staging-x86_64.AppImage

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup , @peppyy :-

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1754

Trister linked to these two over at Github; it's where my own pair came from.

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 am

@bigpup , @peppyy :-

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=1754

Trister linked to these two over at Github; it's where my own pair came from.

Mike. ;)

After re-reading the post on the link that is probably the link I got it from too. :lol:
I am thinking about using a spare partition on my second ssd for programs and portables. As long as I put the path to say /mnt/sdb3 I would think I could use that for installing programs? Probably not quite that simple though. I know a .exe will run fine from the local drive but for installing from say a cd I am not quite sure if I can choose that as a location.

Installed my old "Print Shop" from cd this morning as it were just win. Runs amazing on this computer and prints to pdf flawlessly. Now I need to find my box of old software disks and do some experimenting :!: Would love to get energyxt running again.

Attachments
fossapup1.png
fossapup1.png (66.14 KiB) Viewed 834 times

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Hi @peppyy
A common and pretty simple approach to making wine semi external is to use symlinks. I have a few wine prefixes in a different location, I drag the one I would like to use to /root as a symlink and rename .wine... So I have known good and testing setups. This way you can do a fair amount of tinkering without risking too much, and keep your save smaller.

Unfortunately I have not had the best luck yet with the appimages because the applications i am using have a 32bit installer/software manager (to log in and register the software) then a 64bit app/plugin, so multiarch is a must for the apps I use...
I'm still learning to coerce wine into cooperation so any advice on a multiarch appimage is welcome.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

I have been having too much fun using my spare drive to run the old programs. Most of the portable apps work great. I have been thinking about getting one of my old win drives and seeing if I can run some of my old software directly from them.

Been too busy though lately, firewood has been the latest priority with the storms coming. :roll:

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Just a couple icons for wine I made for sorting things out. Not sure if they are appropriate but I thought I should share JIK someone wanted some icons for your desktop symlinks.

Attachments
wine-cfg2.png
wine-cfg2.png (42.21 KiB) Viewed 400 times
wine-explorer.png
wine-explorer.png (21.65 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Return to “Fossapup64”