Strange problem with retrovol (SOLVED)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

peppyy

Strange problem with retrovol (SOLVED)

Post by peppyy »

I installed my sound blaster card and set it up with alsa. It works fine with alsa mixer and retrovol mixer but the tray applet does not respond (See screenshot). It reports either 0% or 1% when clicked on. I looked at retrovol.rc and everything looks right (as far as I can tell) in there. Any ideas?

Attachments
retrovol.jpg
retrovol.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Last edited by peppyy on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

bigpup

Re: Strange problem with retrovol

Post by bigpup »

Right click on the speaker icon on the tray.
Select settings.
Select hardware tab.
Make sure sound card is correct.
Will it give you any usable sliders you can move to the active listing?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

After you've performed the check bigpup has asked for, bring up the 'Tray' tab. What's the 'Tray slider' set as? It looks to me as though it's not set to the correct 'adjuster'. 9 times out of 10, I get this same issue after swapping from my Logitech USB headset (with its own, built-in sound card) back to the main RealTek 'system' one.

This often gets set wrongly when you switch/swap cards. It dictates what the tray slider actually adjusts, y'see.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

It is set on the right hardware, hw2

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:18 pm

After you've performed the check bigpup has asked for, bring up the 'Tray' tab. What's the 'Tray slider' set as?

Interestingly it was blank. There was just a grey box there until I clicked on it and it gave me a list. I set it as 28 pcm playback volume. Works now thanks.

I do a lot of work with Audacity so I use the volume control a lot.

Since I got the wireless card working, I noticed the built in sound card has again shown up in ALSA config amd/ati SB 0x0 Azalia (Intel HDA) at card 0

I figured out that card 1 is the sound on the video card. RV630 HDMI Audio. I am guessing that one is for the DVI connector for monitors with speakers.

Card 2 is my awesome old soundblaster gold live ;)

Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

Ooh, you're lucky to only have two to concern yourself with..! :lol:

I have 4 to choose from - actually, 2 in practice, but 4 are reported.

• Card 0,0 - Intel HD Audio

• Card 1,3 - Nvidia HDMI audio

• Card 1,7 - Nvidia HDMI audio

• Card 3,0 (sometimes 4,0....depends on the Puppy) - Logitech H340 USB headset (when connected)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second & third devices are HDMI outputs from the Nvidia GPU, although in practice I've never bothered with them. I also have a 'Plugable' basic USB sound card I sometimes use for experimenting. Latterly, I'm actually using it to record system audio, since although 'Loopback' mixing shows up in ALSA/Retrovol, in practice, it doesn't do anything. So an acceptable 'workaround' is to use one of these basic USB cards, with a short, double-ended 3.5 mm male-to-male lead, plugged into both the mic and headphone sockets together.....and the levels set accordingly.

Somebody else on here mentioned it only a few weeks ago. It seems to work OK, if a bit fiddly to set-up. I've had the card for a couple of years; just needed the double-ended lead.

On top of all that, the Logitech c920 HD 'Pro' webcam also has its own sound card with stereo mikes.....though this doesn't show up in the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, probably due to only having inputs.

Gawd, that's 6 devices altogether. Jeez....

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

Well I am expecting that when I plug my Behringer uca222 and hook it up to my eurorack mx 802a I will find a couple more ;) Then I have my USB guitar cable and my USB microphone cable, both generic but work, I might have a few more.

Haven't gone to USB headphones yet. Still have a pair of HPM 1000 that I have taped the cushions back on.
I Love Audacity! It allows you to choose every input and output, seemingly even if it isn't currently active.

I guess being a bit rusty when I am in my 60s isn't too bad :ugeek:

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

I do stuff like this with Audacity and I forget what video editor lol

Had 20+ tracks of audio to put it together.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Heh. I, too, shall hit the big 6-oh later this year. I think one of the plus points about getting to our age group is that we have more time to simply 'play around' with all this stuff, yes?? :lol:

(At least, that's MY excuse..!) :D

I like having "projects" to work on, regardless of their nature. Keeps me motivated.....

Mike. ;)

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

I admit, I like to play with "Puppies" too. Often for too long a time so I get sore sitting. :lol:

Today I am trying to figure out why my adata (uv128) 32gb pen drive likes the usb 2.0 ports but not the 3.0 ports.

It takes forever to unmount in 3.0 but the 2.0 is instant. looks like it should have all the right drivers.
From PSI

Bus 11.Port 1: Device 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 5000Mbit/s
|__ Port 2: Device 2, Interface 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000Mbit/s

Bus 011 Device 002:
ID = 125f:db8a A-DATA Technology Co., Ltd. ADATA USB Flash Drive
USB Version = 3.00
Manufacturer = ADATA
Product = ADATA USB Flash Drive
Serial Number = 20722001602400DB
Max Current = 504mA
Class = Mass Storage

Another mystery to contemplate :ugeek:

Return to “Fossapup64”