yassm4.1 in fossa cannot connect to shares on another network

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

wizard

yassm4.1 in fossa cannot connect to shares on another network

Post by wizard »

This is a problem that was identified in 2018. To see a more detailed discussion look at this post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=165

Pnethood in fossa can connect, as was the case in 2018

rcrsn51 modified yassm in v4.2 and v4.5 (the versions I have, probably ok in 4.3, 4.4 too) to fix it. I fixed fossa by installing yassm-4.5.pet

I googled the .pet but could not find a link to include in this post. If someone knows where it can be downloaded, please add to the post.

One side effect of installing 4.5 is it loses YASSM Samba share search from the menu and that function is not restored if you uninstall 4.5.

I edited the .pet to correct the issue, you can find yassm4.5-fossa.pet at this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tgtr578g7ytb ... a.pet?dl=1

yassm4.5-fossa.pet
(8.14 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

It should also work for any puppy that is using yassm4.1

If someone can download and test we'll find it a more permanent home.

As a side note, both my BionicPups I checked have this issue which leads me to believe other modern pups may have it too.

wizard

Last edited by bigpup on Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added pet as an attachment to post.

Big pile of OLD computers

wizard

Re: yassm4.1 in fossa cannot connect to shares on another network

Post by wizard »

I thought I'd include an example of how connecting to other local networks is useful.

Two routers using different IP ranges are connected as:

ROUTER_B-->ROUTER_A-->INTERNET

-clinets on ROUTER_A can connect to the internet but cannot connect to shares on ROUTER_B
-clinets on ROUTER-B can connect to the internet and to any shares on ROUTER_A

As an example, on my networks:

Phones, tablets, laptops and a media server are connected to ROUTER_A, The phones, tablets, and laptops can connect to the internet and the media server, but CANNOT see or connect to devices on ROUTER_B.

Business/private client computers and a private file server are connected to ROUTER_B, These devices can connect to the internet, the media server or any other file shares on ROUTER_A clients.

It is a way to CONTROL access by using two different local networks

wizard

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@wizard: In the old forum, I offered to post the latest YASSM provided that someone would volunteer to test it. I got ZERO response from anyone, including from lead developers and WOOF maintainers who should have an interest in keeping their core applications current.

So I moved YASSM development into the Debian Live space where it is still actively maintained.

Regarding the YASSM Search tool: searching for Samba hosts has always been the least reliable part of YASSM, particularly if it has to search across multiple subnets like in your situation. So I moved that function into PeasyPort. In the YASSM .deb package, PeasyPort is now a dependency, which has an option for finding NETBIOS machines. Some community members don't like this arrangement because legacy apps like Pnethood have always incorporated searching. But as I once said in the old forum, "Why search for something if you already know where it is."

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rcrsn51

Hi rcrsn51,
Thanks for your reply, I'm certainly glad you're still with the puppy forum as you have always been a networking resource for the community. You've been a great help to me in the past. I was really surprised that the new puppies had not updated to the newer yassm versions. Hope you were not insulted that I modified your yassm4.5, if so please accept my apology. If you get a chance try the mod and let me know if I did it wrong.

wizard

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

rcrsn51 wrote:

I got ZERO response from anyone

If I had known or was asked in clear text I would have and will test these type of core programs.
Since neither pnethood nor YASSM has worked at all consistently for me since Xenial, I'm back to networking via USB sticks and walking between machines or sticking with FTP.

I have 8 machines on a LAN and once upon a time they could share files. And @rcrsn51 I think out of personal experience that removing the search function and counting on ASSUMPTIONS that I'll know the network addresses every time is garbage and making me run through hoops to find the machines correct network names and sub-net IP's is just so typical of taking something that worked well and reducing it to useless bytes in storage.

My systems CHANGE almost daily if not hourly between a multitude of operating systems and at one time it was a breeze keeping the diversity connected....but not any more.

I remember testing something called CamPhoneTab-1.6 and how that experience went

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

There is no file sharing utopia. SMB has the same requirements on Unix/Linux that it has on Windows. You MUST have the necessary services, utilities, and protocols installed and running, to work. There is no shortcut to that.

If you were to sit for a CCNE exam and were asked to diagram the simplest possible network to do peer-to-peer file sharing on a LAN, What would you create?

On Unix/Linux, sharing is natively done using NFS. On M$, this is done with SMB. Neither of these are PnP, or automatic. They have minimum requirements on the network administration level.

How would you connect? Would you use IP addresses? Would you use hostnames? Would you use MAC ID's?
Would you use hosts files or DNS for name resolution on your lan? Whould you use NetBios for name resolution?

For P2P file sharing should you even be using DHCP/hostname resolution? What is the latency of doing that? What if multiple puppy instances have identical hostnames because user hasn't changed the default names? What does the DHCP resolver do with that?

FACT: The ONLY way to achieve consistent, instantaneous P2P connectivity on a LAN is via the tried and true Static IP + hosts file (kiss) method (and you don't really need the hosts file). That is basic TCP/IP networking. All IT server clusters/data centers use this methodology. It takes less sysadmin time/maintenance that any other possible option. I am a CCNE+MCSE, and when it comes to UFOS (Unix Flavored Operating Systems) P2P networks, this is how I roll.

For the intrepid among you, you could install a DNS (bind) server on your LAN and add the static names & IP's of the various network devices/computers, and use simple name resolution to accomplish your tasks by listing the LAN DNS server IP in your DHCP server DNS list. This would reduce maintenance to a single point. Some Gateway routers even offer a DNS service. But see, even if you installed a DNS resolver for your LAN, it would still break your network if the resolver goes down.

Answer: The simplest IP network for P2P file sharing only needs static IP addresses on the same subnet and a hub/switch. No gateway. No DNS. Not even a router.

(BTW, can you even buy a "hub" anymore? ;) )

wizard

Post by wizard »

On a more positive note, I have had great luck with file sharing and puppy. I set up my first "file server" on an intel PII laptop with 128mb ram, 20gb drive and windows 2000. It ran reliably and silently for years. Both my windows and puppy computers connected and it saved me lots of time and miles of "sneaker net". My next file server was a intel PIII laptop with 512mb ram, 100gb drive, running puppy lupu 5.25 and samba tng. When I needed to add android phones and tablets I installed samba4 instead of tng. That setup has been running a little over 2 years. My newest shared computer is a "media server", a pentium M laptop, 2gb ram and a 2tb usb drive running stretch 7.5. This machine has both music and movies available. On any given day I'll have 4 or five computers plus a couple of tablets using the two servers. The inclusion of samba, samba simple management, and yassm apps in newer puppies have made it much easier for less technical users to setup and use file shares. For my part, it's one of biggest productive and time saving things I've done.

my thanks to all who contribute

wizard

Ramachandra Iyer

Big Thanks for yassm4.6 in fossa connecting to another network

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

I have installed Yassm-4.5 in easyos for linking my server and the same is serving my purpose.. It helps very much by mounting to Network Attached Storage server (NAS) for accessing my office files. In fossapup64, yassm working wonderfully. Thanks to all those involved in this piece of software.

Return to “Fossapup64”