Icons gone missing from tray after JWM mod(SOLVED)

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

WoodLark

Icons gone missing from tray after JWM mod(SOLVED)

Post by WoodLark »

This is embarrassing! I am setting up a new install of Fossapup64. From the responses to a previous post of mine, I leaned about JWM Desktop overwriting changes to .jwmrc-tray. To circumvent this, I created a new file .jwmrc-tray-2 and included it in the template file for .jwmrc in place of the original .jwmrc-tray. The two files differ only in that I added a tray at the top of the screen with some of my favorite applications. This worked perfectly.

I wanted a "clean" desktop, so I used JWM Desktop to set the icon layout to "bare-no icons". This appeared to work perfectly.

Now comes the embarrassing part. Some time later, I noticed that the icons on the right end of the lower tray (Firewall Status", "Speaker Volume", etc.) were gone. I checked the original .jwmrc-tray and they are not loaded there. I reset the icon layout with no effect.

I am forced to admit that I have no clue how to get the missing icons back. Can someone please help me?

Last edited by WoodLark on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: Icons gone missing from tray after JWM mod

Post by bigpup »

I noticed that the icons on the right end of the lower tray (Firewall Status", "Speaker Volume", etc.) were gone.

Those get loaded by files located in /root/startup/autostart

Have you tried to just do a reboot?

The autostart directory should look something like this inside.

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 384 times

If no help.
Post the contents of the .jwmrc-tray file.
Maybe you are missing something in it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

WoodLark

Re: Icons gone missing from tray after JWM mod (SOLVED)

Post by WoodLark »

Thanks, bigpup.

Rebooting had no effect so started checking the .jwmrc-tray and .jwmrc files line by line. Apparently, when I edited the template file,in /etc/xdg/templates, an extraneous "#" got typed into the file. Once I removed the "#", ran fixmenus and restarted the window manage all was well.

Return to “Fossapup64”