MS-Teams on FossaPup64

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

peebee

MS-Teams on FossaPup64

Post by peebee »

Not tested other than to see if it starts.....

teams_1.3.00.30857_amd64.deb
from
https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/ms ... n/t/teams/

starts when run from a terminal with:

Code: Select all

run-as-spot /usr/share/teams/teams

It's an Electron (Chromium) app built in the same way as Skype4Linux

It could quite easily be Puppified and turned into an sfs.....

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

mikewalsh

Re: MS-Teams on FossaPup64

Post by mikewalsh »

I remember now why I gave this one up as a bad job!

You can install it. You can fire it up. You can sign-in with a Microsoft a/c. It then asks you to sign-up for Teams itself.....and that's where it all falls down, because the 'Sign-in' link is dead. Completely unresponsive. So you can't create a Teams a/c.....and therefore the entire thing is a total waste of time. At least, for us it is.....in Puppyland.

It may well work in the mainstream distros. But I'm not going to install one just to try this; I've already got Skype, Zoom & Google's 'Duo' all functioning here in Puppy.....and from what I can understand, 'Teams' is just that; primarily intended for work/organisation-based 'teams' of people to keep in touch with each other. It is very definitely NOT for individual, one-on-one videochats/messaging; you can sign up for Teams free of charge - I investigated this further - but to actually USE it you have to subscribe on a monthly or annual basis. (You don't find this last point out UNTIL you start to create a 'Teams' a/c.)

Sooo.....I'll once again give this one a miss. Thanks for the link though, Peter.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Feek

Post by Feek »

peebee wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:49 am

Very helpful, thanks.

Today I had to join a meeting with my colleagues in Teams, uncommonly from home. I tried to install the package in Bionicpup64, launched in terminal and could easily sign into my organisation’s account. Everything worked very well.

I originally wanted to use Teams-webapp (via browser), but this way doesn't have full features support.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Feek wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Very helpful, thanks.

Today I had to join a meeting with my colleagues in Teams, uncommonly from home. I tried to install the package in Bionicpup64, launched in terminal and could easily sign into my organisation’s account. Everything worked very well.

I originally wanted to use Teams-webapp (via browser), but this way doesn't have full features support.

@Feek :-

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it won't work - period. I'm just saying it won't work.....for ME.

From the sound of things, you and a group of work colleagues already have a Teams a/c up-and-running. My guess is that Teams detects whether there's a Teams a/c associated with your log-in details. If there is, the "Sign In" link will then be active. If it doesn't.....then the link won't do anything.

I tested this theory further last night. I attempted to create a Teams a/c. You reach a point where the process asks what you want to use Teams for; work, organization, or Private use? I chose 'Private' - I have no other use for it - and it re-directed me to Skype and wouldn't allow me to go any further. So, I guess my original hypothesis of Teams being strictly for organizations/work 'teams' is correct.

However; to hear that it does function as it should under Puppy, that's great.....it's yet another 'string' to Puppy's 'bow'! (I also wouldn't mind betting that some department, somewhere in your organization, is footing a monthly subscription bill for this....)

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Feek

Post by Feek »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:51 pm
Feek wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm

Very helpful, thanks.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it won't work - period. I'm just saying it won't work.....for ME.

From the sound of things, you and a group of work colleagues already have a Teams a/c up-and-running. My guess is that Teams detects whether there's a Teams a/c associated with your log-in details. If there is, the "Sign In" link will then be active. If it doesn't.....then the link won't do anything.

I tested this theory further last night. I attempted to create a Teams a/c. You reach a point where the process asks what you want to use Teams for; work, organization, or Private use? I chose 'Private' - I have no other use for it - and it re-directed me to Skype and wouldn't allow me to go any further. So, I guess my original hypothesis of Teams being strictly for organizations/work 'teams' is correct.

However; to hear that it does function as it should under Puppy, that's great.....it's yet another 'string' to Puppy's 'bow'! (I also wouldn't mind betting that some department, somewhere in your organization, is footing a monthly subscription bill for this....)

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Hi Mike,

I fully understand what you wrote and you’re right I think.

You know, I didn’t keep the install, it was one-time affair (it eats a lot of RAM too :) ). At work I have to use Win10 with Office365 and MS Teams is one of several components of it.

As you say, it’s great, that it works under Puppy. Now I know it can be used if urgent.

Feek

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, Feek.

Yes, you're right; it will eat a lot of RAM. All those Electron-based apps do; it's part & parcel of them being built around a stripped-back Chromium browser (and that's no lightweight!) For an average Puppy machine, with probably a couple of GBs of RAM, that's a large chunk of your resources....

That's where I was when I first started with Puppy, back in 2014. With my new desktop, having recently 'maxed' the RAM to 32 GB (little bit of 'future-proofing', if I'm honest), I don't even notice it; in that respect, I'm a very atypical Puppy user nowadays. I could run any OS I wanted to now.....but I stick with Puppy. I'm used to her; I understand how she works; she's easy on resources, meaning that more of those resources are available for ME to use on what I want to do.....and we have an amazing bunch of lads & lasses in this community; brilliant, every one of them. (Unlike MS Crapdows, which wants to grab every bit of your resources for itself, then has the cheek to turn round and deny you the use of them..!) :evil:

But, as you say, it's good to know it's 'do-able' if you have to. Puppy's capable of using most of today's available software; there's not much these guys can't find a 'workaround' or a 'fix' for..! :D

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feek

Post by Feek »

Yes, I also like the concept of Puppy including this community. More and more...

I admire your machine ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 pm

I could run any OS I wanted to now.....but I stick with Puppy.

Completely agree and confirm. We will not give a single byte to MS :thumbup:
In addition to the powerful one, I also use a spare(reserve) desktop computer built on J4205-ITX and Fossapup "flies" on it and even Vulkan for CPU-integrated video card is supported out of the box.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

PuppyandCo

linux-for-teams / independent, non-MS client

Post by PuppyandCo »

This alternative linux Teams client works on Bionic64 version 8.0. I have only tried it in a quick test meeting but it seems to do everything the official MS client can. It logs in, and loads into my employer's Teams with all the stuff that doesn't work in the web app... and it loads at all which is more than the official linux client does

https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams ... x/releases
https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams ... 0.5.tar.gz

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I tried the appimage one in Fossapup64 9.5 and it seems to work. I just started it. But not signup and use.
https://github.com/IsmaelMartinez/teams ... 5.AppImage
Did have to go into it's properties and give it exec permission to run.
Also put it in the /root/spot directory to get around having to maybe run it by using run-as-spot.
Stuff in the spot directory seems to automatically run as spot.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

A previous version required editing of a file in usr/bin, to allow for a mix of root + spot permissions (would work well afterwards).

The updated version is a lot simpler. Available at https://teams.microsoft.com/uswe-01/downloads

Install the .deb file. All that is required is, on terminal:

Code: Select all

root# teams
root# run-as-spot teams

Have signed in, working great.

Return to “Fossapup64”