FocalPup32 (UPupFF+D-20.12) FocalFossa+Debian Woof-CE build

Moderator: Forum moderators

peebee

FocalPup32 (UPupFF+D-20.12) FocalFossa+Debian Woof-CE build

Post by peebee »

See this post for date of latest build on Github available from Sourceforge

Latest - built on GitHub mirrored on Sourceforge

Release notes

Built from 32-bit Ubuntu Focal Fossa LTS 20.04 + some Debian Bullseye components.

Kernel 5.4.xx 32-bit PAE.

LXDE and LXQt and Xfce4 available as alternate desktops via ydrv.

See JammyPup32 for the LTS 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish release.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (309.76 KiB) Viewed 25712 times

If you're interested which components of FocalPup32 come from Ubuntu and which come from Debian.......
download:
http://smokey01.com/peebee/upupff+d/Pac ... upff+d.txt

then:

Code: Select all

cat PackageList-puppy-upupff+d.txt | grep Packages-ubuntu # for ubuntu list
cat PackageList-puppy-upupff+d.txt | grep Packages-debian # for debian list
cat PackageList-puppy-upupff+d.txt | grep Packages-puppy # for Puppy .pet packages
Last edited by peebee on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 29 times in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

greengeek

Re: Eoan Focal by Peebee

Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the link.

Just trying PeeBee's Eoan Focal now and it is a nice pup.

As well as the inbuilt Light browser which works fine I loaded a Vivaldi pet just for testing and it's running well.

I previously tried an earlier Eoan Pup which I think I got from SkamiLinux and it was good too but lacked flsynclient for adjusting touchpad properties - I see that PeeBee has added flsynclient as a link to psynclient so that is a nice improvement.

I will be giving it some more testing with other software packages just to see what it can do.
Marv

Post by Marv »

+6 iso generated using the delta, md5sum correct.+5 install updated to +6 on the i5 based Fujitsu S761. No issues noted, either with the stock 4.14.172 kernel or with peebees 4.14.182 32 bit kernel. Currently running Slimjet 27.0.2.0 run-as-spot (both 32b and 64b) sucessfully in all pups in my kennel. Truly a 'frugal' install :thumbup:
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 29109 times
Cheers,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Japanese language pet:

The file that localizes Puppy Linux UPupEF-20.04+2 can be downloaded from the following site. The file name is " lang_pack_ja-upbb-r2.pet ".

http://sakurapup.browserloadofcoolness. ... =25&t=3434

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: UPupEF - Ubuntu Eoan+Focal based Woof-CE build

Post by peebee »

51b68649037d2b325a25bd4f12363dc4 UPupEF-20.04+7.iso

will likely be another delta shortly when Eoan Ermine is moved to 'old-releases' to fix PPM

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
peebee wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 am Japanese language pet:
Although lang_pack_ja-upbb-r2.pet is applicable to UPupEF and usable, it is not fully functional.
Bionicpup32 has /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, which is a link pointing to /usr/lib. On the other hand, UPupEF has the directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu.

I have made a language pack specially for UPupEF.
The thread in the Japanese Forum:
https://sakurapup.browserloadofcoolness ... =25&t=3501
peebee

Post by peebee »

Eastler_Dart

Post by Eastler_Dart »

thanks for that greaaaat work :-)

I use it now often (after puppy 4.12, 4.20, precise, tahr) and this time
I have a Puppy with actual new libs, in addition with longtime-support at ubuntu
Great.
Maybe I will sucess in my tries to give it a german language and a look-and-feel like I want it
then I will post it also.

thanks again
peebee

Post by peebee »

UPupFF+D is a 32-bit Woof-CE build of Puppy Linux constructed mainly from Ubuntu Focal Fossa (LTS 20.04) components
but augmented by some Debian Bullseye components where necessary. It has a 5.4 series kernel.

RC1 from here

The intention is that this will replace UPupEF once Eoan Ermine has moved to old-releases (shortly).

The only problem I know of is with PPM - 0setup is throwing segfaults in /support/debdb2pupdb - not sure why :?:

Anyway, if anybody would like to test, feedback is welcomed.
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (313.73 KiB) Viewed 28530 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi peebee

using it now

looks great
no problems

very polished
like a diamond

thank you very much

wanderer
one

Re: UPupFF+D 20.08 RC0 - feedback

Post by one »

peebee wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:10 am [...]
The intention is that this will replace UPupEF once Eoan Ermine has moved to old-releases (shortly).

The only problem I know of is with PPM - 0setup is throwing segfaults in /support/debdb2pupdb - not sure why :?:

Anyway, if anybody would like to test, feedback is welcomed.
[...]
Hi peebee, some feedback for you ...

I gave your UPupFF+D a quick try as a frugal install on usb, booted via grub4dos. Boots fine and also shutdown works. (I had problems with your UPupEF, you remember?
hansi wrote:
Now - with the current upupef-20.04+x my laptop doesn't shutdown properly, i have to push the power button for 5 seconds or so. Any hints?
Internet + palemoon.sfs works, PPM doesn't update, but I did a test and installed Mahjong and it runs ok.

peace
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

These are some of my observations:
1. It seems that browsers obtained through "Get Web Browser" do not work with scim (one of the systems which deal with kanji input).

While both UPupEF and UPupFF+D have the directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, chromium.sfs from "Get Web Browser" uses /usr/lib.
im-scim.so is located in a subdirectory of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu, and so scim does not work.
The same thing happens when you use firefox.sfs. Firefox obtained from its official site works with scim.

2. Light browser included in UPupEF and UPupFF+D is not able to play YouTube videos, complaining that codecs should be downloaded. As for bionicpup32 and ScPup64, Light browser can play YouTube videos out of the box.

3. For example, if you try to install Chromium (bullseye version) through the package manager, you will get a list of dependencies which include a slightly different version of packages from the ones existing in the system (ubuntu focal version).
The bullseye version of Chromium requires bullseye version of libraries. Such a situation seems inevitable, but it can be very annoying.
peebee

UPupFF+D 20.08 RC0 - feedback

Post by peebee »

@one PPM update should now work.

@thinkpadfreak I would suggest using the Chromium sfs and linking your scim module into /usr/lib/chromium.
The mix of libs is definitely not ideal - blame Ubuntu for not supplying a full set of 32-bit components.... :evil:
I don't know why Light should behave differently other than it is getting rather old and maybe not as compatible with these newer builds - but I always remind that it is just a Light browser, so if you want to do things it can't do, you should move to a more recent heavyweight browser.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

peebee wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:46 am I would suggest using the Chromium sfs and linking your scim module into /usr/lib/chromium.
Here is a workaround.

# ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules.cache
Applications refer to immodules.cache.
Now Firefox (firefox.sfs) can input characters with scim.
It is known that Chromium run as root can input characters with scim, but that Chromium run as spot cannot do so.

Launch Chromium (chromium.sfs) like this:

# env GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" chromium
The input method falls back to xim, but you can input Japanese characters anyway.

I would like to know why the directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu came into use for Puppy.
01micko

Post by 01micko »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:42 pm I would like to know why the directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu came into use for Puppy.
It was a symlink to /usr/lib in older debian compatible puppies but that did cause some issues so is now a real directory. Debian based distros and some others use this directory hierarchy in packages so if compatibility with upstream packages is desired then this (or similar, dependant on cpu architecture) is a requirement.
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

01micko wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:40 am It was a symlink to /usr/lib in older debian compatible puppies but that did cause some issues so is now a real directory.
Thank you for answering the question.

So, we will have to be careful about applying some of the software packages (sfs, pet, etc) which were designed to be used with older puppies.
salvotnt

Post by salvotnt »

hi,
tested upup ff+ on netbook atom , it's work almost nicely.

2 smal problem only:

1) installer not have f2fs support , kernel 5.4 have the fix for pagefile error.

2) touchpad do not work at 100%, config app not work.

Currently using upup ef , work very very well. dpup32 is only garbage for me , please keep upup alive, is almost the best linux have used...

regards
peebee

Post by peebee »

thinkpadfreak wrote: 2. Light browser included in UPupEF and UPupFF+D is not able to play YouTube videos, complaining that codecs should be downloaded. As for bionicpup32 and ScPup64, Light browser can play YouTube videos out of the box.
I have investigated and it appears that Light requires <= ffmpeg-3.4 to play videos.....
This is the version in bionicpup32 and ScPup64 and LxPupSc64
but
other builds (eg. ScPup32, LxPupSc32, UPupEF and UPupFF+D) have later versions of ffmpeg and so cannot play youtube videos

Despite this, it is still my opinion that Light provides the best amount of functionality for its size (20MB) in both 32 & 64 bit versions.....
Other browser candidates to be provided in the iso might be:
Netsurf (smaller but less functionality)
QtWeb (ditto and only available in 32-bit)
Palemoon (larger *2 and a somewhat aggressive and legalistic developer who may drop 32-bit versions)

I could revert the ffmpeg version to 3.4 in all builds with Light but I'm not sure I want to.
Reverting for Slackware based systems is just 1 .pet
but for UPups there are 1 .pet and 3 .debs needed.

BTW: My functionality test websites (particularly for downloading files) are:
sourceforge.net
pkgs.org
forum.puppylinux.com
html5test.com
youtube.com

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

peebee wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:32 am Despite this, it is still my opinion that Light provides the best amount of functionality for its size (20MB) in both 32 & 64 bit versions.....
Thanks for the investigation.

Your opinion is understandable, because, besides being an Internet browser, the default browser serves as a help viewer, a cups frontend, etc.

Now I mainly use 64bit puppies. After Pale Moon 32bit version stops being provided, I think I will use SeaMonkey, puppy's traditional browser.
Marv

Re: UPupFF-Browser

Post by Marv »

Peebees latest chromium run-as-spot SFS from here runs well for me in upupFF+D RC0. I am waiting for a Slimjet update that uses chromium 85 as the 32b SlimJet 27.0.7.0 SFS that runs in LxPupSc and upup EF will not run in FF and in the past that failure to render pages has often been due to a chromium-glibc incompatibility and has resolved when SlimJet catches up..

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

thinkpadfreak

UPupFF+D run-as-spot command

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

It seems that something is wrong with run-as-spot.
The attached image shows the result of vivaldi run as spot.
Vivaldi fails to start.
When run as root, vivaldi works fine.

I also tried to run Slimjet 27 as spot. The window opens, but it encounters an error. (It cannot show any page.) Slimjet is originally not capable of being run as root.

I tried Chromium 84 from ubuntu bionic. When it is run as spot, the result is the same as Slimjet.
When the Chromium is run as root with the option --no-sandbox, it works.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (106.94 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
peebee

Post by peebee »

May be.........

There is a known problem with all 32-bit Chromium based browsers:

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/chromi ... ment-37330

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

peebee wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:28 pm There is a known problem with all 32-bit Chromium based browsers
So the cause is probably an incompatibility between chromium based browsers and glibc 2.31 on 32bit systems.
There is nothing wrong with "run-as-spot" of puppy ...
Personally I don't mind running a browser as root without sandbox. I am not too security-conscious. (It might be better to use 64bit puppies if possible.)
darry19662018

Re: UPupEF+D - comments

Post by darry19662018 »

Machine: Hp dv6000. Problem PPM freeze when you click on Buster repo - have to ctrl-alt-backspace and boot back into xserver.

Only fault noticed except for error messages just before sfs loading of a, f and main sfs's - everything else works.
peebee

Re: UPupEF+D - comments

Post by peebee »

darry19662018 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:19 am Machine: Hp dv6000. Problem PPM freeze when you click on Buster repo - have to ctrl-alt-backspace and boot back into xserver.

Only fault noticed except for error messages just before sfs loading of a, f and main sfs's - everything else works.
Hi @darry19662018
That's odd - buster should not even be offered as a repo - had you done a database update?
What error messages before sfs load?? I don't see any....
Thanks
peebee

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Yes I tried to updated PPM and as for error message it went away when I used an older series 3 kernel (may have been machine)..
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

OK I booted into this Pup again and tried updating ppm without doing anything else in PPM. Updated as normal however...
when I clicked on Bullseye (I must apologise Peebee for getting the wrong Repo my bad sorry :oops: ) Processing message comes up and causes a freeze - again not sure if it is my machine which is calling this problem. This is with a series 3 kernel. This fault happened
with original kernel.
peebee

Post by peebee »

darry19662018 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:48 am Processing message comes up and causes a freeze
Did you wait long enough? Processing these very large repos takes a llllllloooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg time ;)
but does eventually finish

peebee

Post by peebee »

Teaser........ ;)
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (153.28 KiB) Viewed 3026 times

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Will Groovy become a 64bit PUP?

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”