FreeTube SFS - watch videos

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

jamesbond

FreeTube SFS - watch videos

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.15.1. Repackaged from official binary. Get it using the SFS manager.

s243a

Re: FreeTube SFS

Post by s243a »

jamesbond wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 am

At version 0.9.2. Repackaged from official binary. Get it using the SFS manager.

Link?

step

Post by step »

@s243a you can get it with with SFS Manager found in the System tab of Fatdog64 Control Panel. Direct download link to the SFS file located in Fatdog64's repo.

Keef

Post by Keef »

The last version I tried was 0.7.2. Gave up on it eventually as it was slow and buggy. This does seem better so far. No more 'favorites', and the playlist is not functional yet, so you are reliant on the history. In 0.7.2 it was hit and miss whether you could delete anything from history. The 'forward' and 'back' arrows are an improvement, as previously if you were watching a video, then went to the side panel, you could not get back to it without reloading it (if the arrows were in fact there before, they certainly didn't work well).

step

Post by step »

I visited the author's blog and learned that FreeTube is going through a major rewrite to make it self-standing. Self-standing means using its so-called "local API", the current default, as opposed to its remotely-hosted API, the current fallback when the local API fails. The remotely-hosted API was shut down October 1st because its (other) author was overwhelmed by community messages (37,000 or something unanswered, IIRC). I supposed there will be more major releases of FreeTube as key functions get ported to the local API. I played with it and I was able to add subscriptions and watch all clicked videos. Major gripe is that, for the most part, audio was monoaural coming out from just one of the speakers. Other than that, the media experience was fine, at 720p. When I enabled the proxy media server in Settings, I got higher formats, downloading videos became functional, and in one video even audio playback was stereo. Another noticeable difference is that, unlike YT, FT does not continuously adapt the list of related videos in the right column according to your presumed liking. No google AI "magic".

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Updated to 0.10.0.

Merry Christmas everyone.

disciple

Post by disciple »

Doesn't run because of missing libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0
Does Fatdog have some other repositories I need to load or something to find it?
Or is it provided by some other package (a browser?) that everyone happens to have installed?

Keef

Post by Keef »

I think I ended up getting it in a deb from pkgs.org. I might have needed it for a browser originally though, not sure which.

step

Post by step »

@disciple, install package at-spi2-atk from Gslapt package manager in Control Panel > System. You might also need to install package at-spi-core. edit: also package gtk3, thanks disciple
@Keef, maybe for opera? The two packages above are needed for most chromium based browsers, such as opera, chromium, chrome, vivaldi, and more.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Keef wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:41 pm

The last version I tried was 0.7.2. Gave up on it eventually as it was slow and buggy. This does seem better so far. No more 'favorites', and the playlist is not functional yet, so you are reliant on the history. In 0.7.2 it was hit and miss whether you could delete anything from history. The 'forward' and 'back' arrows are an improvement, as previously if you were watching a video, then went to the side panel, you could not get back to it without reloading it (if the arrows were in fact there before, they certainly didn't work well).

Mm. Well, thanks for the 'heads-up', guys. I was taken by this when I first tried it out, sometime early last year I think. Like Keef, I gave up on it around 0.7.2/0.7.3; buggy as hell.....99 times out of 100 it wouldn't connect at all. The last I heard was that the Invidious API was being retired, and I do recall summat about the author stepping-down from development.

A year or so on, and what a difference. I'm not sure as I understand the 'local API' thing; it doesn't seem to work for me..? However; I can't remember if this feature was present in the last build I tried, but it appears that if you go into the settings nowadays, and delete the 'default' API it comes with, OOTB (httpx://invidious.synopta.org doesn't work for me; just 'spins' endlessly, never connecting), you can then choose from a drop-down list of around 20 or so alternative APIs to connect to. Which is pretty neat.

I've gone with httpx://invidious.tube; this seems to connect OK for me, so I've left it at that.

I'm in the middle of watching a tech vid from a channel entitled "Dawid does Tech Stuff" - this is a young-ish, ex-patriate Welsh guy who moved to Canada a couple of years ago. A lot of his vids revolve around trying out gaming on some of the weirdest rigs you've ever seen; pretty funny, actually.

This is the 0.11.2 'beta'. I've re-built the 0.7.3 FreeTube-'portable' I put together last year, which I shall re-release later tonight since it's all working now! There IS an AppImage; but although I like AppImages, I prefer this built in 'portable' format, since it keeps all the settings in one place. Initially tried in Fossapup64, it also runs OOTB, as-is, in jrb's 'lite' version of BK's Quirky64 'April' 7.0.1.....my main 'daily-driver'. Which is Tahrpup-era. And I'm chuffed with that..!

It's definitely an improvement on the older releases.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

disciple

Post by disciple »

step wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:19 pm

@disciple, install package at-spi2-atk from Gslapt package manager in Control Panel > System. You might also need to install package at-spi-core.

Thanks, also requires gtk3; at least that one's easy to figure out!

hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

You should add the needed packages into the SFS itself :thumbdown:

step

Post by step »

Adding them to the SFS would make the SFS unnecessarily large. Those packages are needed by many applications including chromium-based browsers, so you'd better off installing them (as in Fatdog64 Package Manager, a.k.a. Gslapt) once and leave them installed. That way, they will serve all programs that need those packages, including the programs in SFS files.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.15.0. On the popup note, I added comment that gtk3 needs to be installed from gslapt if it hasn't.
Thanks.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.15.1

step

Post by step »

At version 17.0. Get it using the SFS manager.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.18.0. Get it using the SFS manager.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.19.1. Get it using the SFS manager.

jamesbond

Re: FreeTube SFS - watch videos

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.19.2. Get it using the SFS manager.

jamesbond

Re: FreeTube SFS - watch videos

Post by jamesbond »

At version 0.20.0. Get it using the SFS manager.

Return to “Software”