DevuanPup64 woof-ce

josejp2424

DevuanPup64 woof-ce

Post by josejp2424 »

esta iso la hice solo para probar el nuevo woof-ce, y ver las nuevas configuraciones que hicieron en el codigo. ( estan haciendo buen trabajo los desarrolladores. )
Esta es la receta woof-ce. que use.

hay problemas con jwm, pero instalando este paquete.se soluciona, contiene jwm-2.4 , pupcontrol, configuraciones de rox, pulseaudio y mas.
la iso creada ya trae funcional blueman.

Dejo una iso con los errores corregidos para prebas, con blueman pulseaudio, seamonkey.

DevuanPup64 kernel 5.4.70.

Last edited by josejp2424 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Re: DevuanPup64 woof-ce

Post by wiak »

Very nice pup this one and thank goodness it comes with pulseaudio by default. I am not one who can be bothered with all the apulse mucking around and really enjoy the extra scope/facilities pulseaudio-proper offers. Also nicely put together puppy more generally (and thanks again for lxterminal rather than urxvt or similar only...) and for those wanting to avoid systemd, Devuan upstream is an excellent choice of course.

I definitely like it. Very nice piece of work.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

Thanks for this Distro. I've been hoping someone would build a Puppy on Devuan. I have it installed on a test machine and will put it through it's paces and give feedback.

Devuan is my new goto OS since I kicked Mint to the curb over the systemd garbage. My main working laptop is Beowulf (Devuan 3)

Punch List:
1) PCP 'Networking->Network Wizard' does nothing right now. Could we make it offer Dougal's network wizard as default? It took quite a bit of time to remove Frisbee manually and switch to Network Wizard.

Last edited by Jafadmin on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

wiak wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:42 am

Very nice pup this one and thank goodness it comes with pulseaudio by default. I am not one who can be bothered with all the apulse mucking around and really enjoy the extra scope/facilities pulseaudio-proper offers. Also nicely put together puppy more generally (and thanks again for lxterminal rather than urxvt or similar only...) and for those wanting to avoid systemd, Devuan upstream is an excellent choice of course.

I definitely like it. Very nice piece of work.

thanks wiak,
I agree with you, about pulseaudio. it should be a standard in all puppy.

gracias wiak,
estoy de acuerdo con vos , sobre pulseaudio. deberia ser un standart en todos los puppy.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Jafadmin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for this Distro. I've been hoping someone would build a Puppy on Devuan. I have it installed on a test machine and will put it through it's paces and give feedback.

Devuan is my new goto OS since I kicked Mint to the curb over the systemd garbage. My main working laptop is Beowulf (Devuan 3)

thanks Jafadmin.
I get error when using pkg, I'll have to take a good look again if it's the repos.
I like pkg because it can be emulated apt

gracias Jafadmin.
obtengo error al usar pkg, tendre que mirar bien de nuevo si son los repos.
me gusta pkg porque se puede emular apt

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Hey josejp2424, why don't you take the DISTRO_* files and integrate them into woof-CE (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE)?

Slacko is built directly from woof-CE as-is, without manual changes: this makes every Slacko version reproducible by users, and allows users to create their customized versions of Slacko from the ground up (as opposed to, remastering).

If you join the woof-CE team, you'll be able to track changes, fix bugs in woof-CE that affect DevuanPup64, set up automated builds of DevuanPup64 on every change to woof-CE to ensure it doesn't break, and engage with other developers (i.e. when a change in woof-CE doesn't align with your vision for DevuanPup64).

EDIT: joining the woof-CE team will allow you to participate in shiny new advancements like https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/1984 - upgrade of almost all applications in Puppy, GTK 3 support and a new PulseAudio tray icon with a volume slider.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

dimkr wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:55 am

Hey josejp2424, why don't you take the DISTRO_* files and integrate them into woof-CE (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE)?

Slacko is built directly from woof-CE as-is, without manual changes: this makes every Slacko version reproducible by users, and allows users to create their customized versions of Slacko from the ground up (as opposed to, remastering).

If you join the woof-CE team, you'll be able to track changes, fix bugs in woof-CE that affect DevuanPup64, set up automated builds of DevuanPup64 on every change to woof-CE to ensure it doesn't break, and engage with other developers (i.e. when a change in woof-CE doesn't align with your vision for DevuanPup64).

EDIT: joining the woof-CE team will allow you to participate in shiny new advancements like https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/1984 - upgrade of almost all applications in Puppy, GTK 3 support and a new PulseAudio tray icon with a volume slider.

hi dimkr
I was looking at your progress on woof-ce. i see you are bringing the programs to gtk3. excellent.

hola dimkr
Estuve mirando sus avances en woof-ce. veo que estan llevando los programas a gtk3. excelente.

blackgatonegro

Post by blackgatonegro »

Muchas gracias.

Estaba buscando un tercer puppy para usar desde que se me murio my laptop vieja y no puedo usar mas puppies de 32 bits.

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

Brave Browser 1.20.108 installed without a problem. Had to manually edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to read:

Code: Select all

exec /opt/brave.com/brave/brave --test-type --no-sandbox "$@"
blackgatonegro

Post by blackgatonegro »

Jafadmin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Brave Browser 1.20.108 installed without a problem. Had to manually edit /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to read:

You might want to remove Brave:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/22/ ... _security/

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

blackgatonegro wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

You might want to remove Brave:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/22/ ... _security/

:roll: You might want to reconsider using tor .. :roll:

That said, note the version I listed ..

"As is our usual process for bug fixes, we have been testing the changes in nightly to make sure that they didn't cause regressions or other bugs before releasing to the stable channel. However, given the severity of the issue and the fact that it is now public (thereby making it easier to exploit), we are accelerating the timeline for this issue and releasing the fix today in stable (1.20.x)."

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

Devuanpup64.jpg
Devuanpup64.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

encontre unos problemas menores faciles de corregir

los script de montar/desmontar de pcmanfm los dejaste dentro de lib, o bueno ahi se instalaron, los movi a libexec/pup-volume-monitor/ y se corrigio el problema, no estaban disponibles en su momento...

un ajuste menor en sfs_load, en la parte donde seleccionamos los sfs a instalar, ya no apareceran los que ya estan instalados... (gz falso)

sfs_load.gz
(79.79 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

y de momento me marca un error vercmp:applet no encontrado, aunque fisicamente ahi esta y no me a afectado para el proceso comun

RE-EDITADO
VERCMP: Es un problema de java, nada que ver con el sistema....

Instale conky, firefox desde PPM...

y haciendo pruebas, tengo en funcion mis pets

Conky manager & editor 1.12.8 (modifique especificamente este conkyrc para que tenga el logo de esta version)
P.U.C-2.7
Jwm-places
PPM_fixed-2.5 (misma pantalla,solo cambia a automatico la actualizacion)
partview modificado

partviewmodif.jpg
partviewmodif.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

De momento han sido lo que e hecho, lo que encontre de detalles y seguire testeando a ver que mas encuentro...

Por lo demas, trabaja muy bien con los requerimientos que tiene mi pc (en mi firma estan)

Saludos y muchas gracias

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 4.0 GB I F96-CE_4 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

Hi josejp2424, thank you very much for your distro - which aligns with my personal philosophy/understanding of systemd, etc. etc.

I am using your distro for a hobby project, a database of working DOS games - mostly "abandonware" - using DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGLhttps://www.squadrablu.nl/dbgl/). Regrettably it requires java, but is well maintained and volunteers have included it in Debian PPA repros so that, in theory, it could be installed via apt https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=787651#p787651. But that is beyond my ken - sounds like a job for sc0ttman...
For the project I've settled on using an old laptop I have spare, that can manage 64bit operations (Panasonic cf 52 Mk3; Intel core2duo P8400 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM). Working very nicely thank you - love the radky-inspired functionality without the addition of extra kitchen sinks seen in a lot of remasters.

However, I have a love-hate relationship with Seamonkey, so experimented with adding some additional browsers. Vivaldi 3.6 works straight from deb *provided* jafadmin's workaround for the ridiculous precaution of 'won't permit running from root without sandboxing'-type errors are employed:

Using jafadmin's clue I think I just copied "--test-type --no-sandbox "$@" " onto the exec line of Vivaldi's config file, but I haven't been able to replicate the solution for Falkon (KDE browser) - even after going through dependency hell with PPM I can't seem to get around the dropout:

[root@devuanpup ~] $ falkon
[18487:18487:0315/060157.927130:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(90)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180.

From memory, I don't think I had a problem with installing Firefox ESR from PPM, all good. But if anyone could suggest a solution to getting Falkon running in DevuanPup64, I'm all thumbs.

There is only one niggle I have, relating to the native Rox settings. I know I should know how to do this, but the changes for the Home directory *never* automatically resize. I am a stickler for list view automatic sizing and the Display settings are modifiable and residTent for all other directories bar Home. Is there a secret method tucked away in the rox-filer settings that can solve this please?
Cheers

UPDATE: Pup MenuEdit also hangs, never completes loading. anyone else notice this?

Puppyt

login: PAM Failure, aborting:Critical Error -immediate abort

Post by Puppyt »

Hi,
currently running in a crippled manner after receiving the message reported in the subject line:

login: PAM Failure, aborting:Critical Error -immediate abort

...Flashing hdd light, keyboard unresponsive - only a hard reboot works. I am writing from outside the savefile in a 'live' version of DevuanPup64, after selecting "Boot without X" and then typing 'xwin' at the prompt.

My rig is the Panasonic CF-52 mentioned in my post just previous. Not a daily driver, a hobby project. I was really chuffed with my efforts to get DBGL and SCUMMV (deb installs) working on this getup, over 300 classic DOS game titles working well.
But before I last rebooted a few days ago, I installed Flatpak integration, working I thought amazingly with all the Gnome dependencies installed via PPM. This was so I could access updated software that isn't available on the PPM (like Abiword 3.04 etc), and I even installed other software as proof of principle. A "Software" menu item populated itself in the "Setup" category, and from there I could immediately access Flathub with full access to all the available titles, updates etc. *Definitely going back to this*

But it seems I knew not what I was doing. I am assuming that I have caused an issue with no systemd requirements somewhere. I don't know how to easily repair this, Suggestions welcome *please*. I'll try checkfs-type options in the meantime.
I also managed to solve an issue I had with not being able to run Nathans Wallpaper setter etc, I was unable to make background changes for some time. I don't really know how the issue was solved but it also happened just before I did the last shutdown.

Everthing is running on an ext4 -formatted SSD that I rescued from another project (ATA Vaseky V800/128G)

Awaiting advice, cheers ;}

UPDATE: keyboard *does* work after booting into PAM failure - crtl-alt-del reboots as per norm. e2ckfs was the term/process I meant earlier, but it is unlikely to solve the problem, judging from historic posts on other Linux fora with this problem raised,

666philb

Post by 666philb »

hi Puppyt,

from your live boot look in the bad savefile by clicking on it and delete these files if they are there ....

/etc/pam.d/login
/bin/login
/usr/sbin/nologin

and see if that fixes it

Grey

Re: login: PAM Failure, aborting:Critical Error -immediate abort

Post by Grey »

Puppyt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:39 am

I was really chuffed with my efforts to get DBGL

Thanks a lot for the tip on DBGL. I somehow did not notice his existence.

Many old games (11000+), including the rarest ones, can be found in the largest Russian archive of old computer games. There all the names and categories are in English, it's not difficult to figure it out.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

Sorry that I missed this earlier, have been distracted with real-world issues:

666philb wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:32 pm

hi Puppyt,

from your live boot look in the bad savefile by clicking on it and delete these files if they are there ....

/etc/pam.d/login
/bin/login
/usr/sbin/nologin

and see if that fixes it

Thanks 666philb - all 3 files were present and deleted, rebooted back to full functionality :thumbup2:

...except the Flatpak/gnome operations. Which is no biggie now as all the curating of dos games I did for the DBGL and SCUMMV repositories is retrievable and working. I still haven't learned to do savefile backups before venturing into the unknown... but will do so immediately and henceforth if I want to stretch the Puppy envelope again in future ;)
Cheers!

Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

...and thanks @Grey for the pointer on that massive repository - dizzying number of games indeed!
I first took interest in serious collecting after catching the image "list of 100 worthwhile DOS games.jpg". After collecting most of those (not interested in first-person shooters and Carmaggedon-type activities), I went hunting various fora for lists of highly-rated and awarded games. Buying revised copies of ones I really enjoy from GOG, wherever possible, as I feel ethically obligated to reward the original programmers when I can't buy the originals.
Screenies of my DevuanPup64 setup, with ScummVM and DBGL in operation:

Attachments
devuanPup64 ScummVM.png
devuanPup64 ScummVM.png (241.21 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
devuanPup64 DBGL.png
devuanPup64 DBGL.png (401.74 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
gychang

Post by gychang »

hi Puppyt,

/etc/pam.d/login
/bin/login
/usr/sbin/nologin

and see if that fixes it

I also developed this problem on FP64 running bspwm yesterday on my laptop and main PC!, I booted into bionipup64 on my PC and saw this and now it is fixed, I was begining to think it maybe a virus. Any speculation as to why this occurred suddenly?, thanks

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

666philb

Post by 666philb »

gychang wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 pm

hi Puppyt,

/etc/pam.d/login
/bin/login
/usr/sbin/nologin

and see if that fixes it

I also developed this problem on FP64 running bspwm yesterday on my laptop and main PC!, I booted into bionipup64 on my PC and saw this and now it is fixed, I was begining to think it maybe a virus. Any speculation as to why this occurred suddenly?, thanks

hi @gychang ,
some apps bring in login as a dependency and it breaks pups as pam isn't set up properly. it is blocked in fossapup64 if you have updated in quickpet.
this is via /var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT.

PKG_NAME_IGNORE="adduser debconf passwd libfam0 libudev1 udev systemd systemd* *systemd login ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"
gychang

Post by gychang »

666philb wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:24 pm
gychang wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 pm

hi @gychang ,
some apps bring in login as a dependency and it breaks pups as pam isn't set up properly. it is blocked in fossapup64 if you have updated in quickpet.
this is via /var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT.

PKG_NAME_IGNORE="adduser debconf passwd libfam0 libudev1 udev systemd systemd* *systemd login ${PKG_NAME_IGNORE}"

thanks, important to update quickpet.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@josejp2424 Since https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2291 and https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 2294/files, missing dependencies are added automatically to dpup and dangerous Debian packages that conflict with Puppy like login and adduser are emptied (exe>null,dev>null...).

If you do the same in DevuanPup64, more packages installed by PPM will work, and it will be less risky to install packages with many dependencies.

Return to “Usuarios de habla Hispana”