Vanilla D Pup 10.0.32 test

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

hundido

Vanilla D Pup 10.0.32 test

Post by hundido »

hi,

thanks for making this. did you change the boot options colors to yellow and green from my feedback? beautiful and softer on the eyes.

i had to put my face about an inch from the screen to do the other menus, keyboard and timezone, and they were blue. As I write this from another distro, my eyes still hurt from that.

Challenges: Font size: At first I found a setting to change the font size. I tried to change it to 22, and restarted x. It was still tiny. I tried to go into the desk menu, and change it there using the dropdown to 150. restarted x. still tiny.

Night Light: I couldn't find it. I tried to install radky's jwm desk, and I guess .pet isn't supported? I couldn't figure out how to turn on a redshift/blue light filter/night color, whatever you want to call it. I can't use a distro without that, so I gave up the test at that point.

dimkr

Re: Vanilla D Pup 10.0.32 test

Post by dimkr »

hundido wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:58 am

thanks for making this. did you change the boot options colors to yellow and green from my feedback? beautiful and softer on the eyes.

Nope, no idea what you're talking about.

Challenges: Font size: At first I found a setting to change the font size. I tried to change it to 22, and restarted x. It was still tiny. I tried to go into the desk menu, and change it there using the dropdown to 150. restarted x. still tiny.

Make sure you have Xft.dpi: 192 in ~/.Xresources.

I guess .pet isn't supported?

.pet packages are supported. I don't know what jwmdesk does, but maybe it has dependencies you haven't installed (redshift?).

I couldn't figure out how to turn on a redshift/blue light filter/night color, whatever you want to call it.

If you're using the Xwayland flavor, redshift won't work. Use the X.Org flavor.

hundido

Post by hundido »

If you're using the Xwayland flavor, redshift won't work. Use the X.Org flavor.

Didn't you say that in the near future you're not making an X.Org flavor anymore?

I ask just because I want to try to get good at using something I expect to continue to be able to use.

I'm already low-vision and contrast blind, and extremely artificial blue light sensitive. It makes me have certain very specific requirements for something to be usable.

Does the xorg have the super tiny blue menus in boot up? My eyes really don't want me to do that again.

I wonder if the installer copied my changes to grub.cfg On lines 5 and 6 I always:

Code: Select all

set menu_color_normal='yellow/black'
set menu_color_highlight='black/green'

but I forgot to do it before booting into VanillaDPup

When I saw that but thought it shipped that way, I was so happy that my change had caught on.

hundido

Post by hundido »

will the jwm desk Display Control work on the x-org one?

hundido

Post by hundido »

I'm trying to switch my life to eliminate LED screens, only e-ink screens. Who knows, maybe once I've traded blue light problems for color blindness problems, something in XFCE maybe will work better?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

hundido wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:09 am

Didn't you say that in the near future you're not making an X.Org flavor anymore?

Only in 11.0.x. 10.0.x is stable, includes X.Org and will never go Wayland-only.

hundido wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:13 am

I haven't tried it, but it should.

hundido wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:09 am

Does the xorg have the super tiny blue menus in boot up? My eyes really don't want me to do that again.

Same as other flavors.

Feek

Post by Feek »

wrote:
hundido wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:13 am

I haven't tried it, but it should.

Yes, it works well on my laptop :thumbup: .

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”