Post by boof »

some usual apps not accessable from Menu>* includes following installed::
florence
firefox
libreoffice
no drive icons visible
no access to screensaver

I don't mind new developments IFF theyactually improe things
BUTT I hate change for it's own sake or to justify employment or to force purchases of newer equipment without functional operating improvement.
I'm aged and of failing ind. I cannot keep learning new pups
which are radically different in layout that actually do not improve operation/functionality, and are just another unnecessary steep learning curve to adapt to. I cannot keep doing it ad infinitum. My brain can't keep up the necessary effort. Old Oz Adage: If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it, because you risk really "!FIXING" it. I would be quite content if I could update just the kernel on Fossapup64-9.5 to something more modern and leave all the rest alone for the forseeable future, as I know how to use it and it seems to work well enough. It has some bugs in BT, but even that might now be resolved.. If so, my thanks. I am a Luddite decendant, and retain some of that thinking. There are some progresses we should be very careful about, as unintended consequences can be very serious, and they can do more harm that being without the developments that spawn them. I see nothing wrong with being late to a mutual suicide pact.
rn

dimkr

Re: new user-some difficulties

Post by dimkr »

Which Vanilla Dpup version did you use? How did you install these applications?

boof

Re: Some apps not found in Menu; no drive icons; no screensaver

Post by boof »

i've lost the versions i had. this one had no colours in the wallpaper, obviously still in development-i thought it was ver 9.8. later i downloaded a version with a red car wallpapr, which also refused to run firefox and libreoffice, downloaded from ppm. no florence either. pls provide download link to this last or a later working version. thx.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Vanilla Dpup never had a 9.8.x version or a wallpaper with a car. You're probably confusing it with some other Puppy.

boof

Post by boof »

sorry for confusion. i can't locate any puppy iso with a red car desktop, but that was the best one i had, it, or something more complete is sought. i have jam[my?]pup but it's got a different wallpaper-looks marine or robotic? again, no working firefox, chrome, libreoffice, kmag nor florence.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”