Vanilla Dpup 9.2.24: Boot warning “waiting for partition” and Save issue

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

sp4050

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.24: Boot warning “waiting for partition” and Save issue

Post by sp4050 »

Issue 1: See image for warning during boot. It does boot after a minute and works fine though. Is there something wrong?

Vanilla boot warning.jpg
Vanilla boot warning.jpg (78.69 KiB) Viewed 626 times

Issue 2: When I save before shutdown, it works fine however, if I select to boot in RAM only, it doesn’t load my saved session with custom settings, instead it loads original puppy version. Is it how it is designed? I prefer to load in RAM only, with my settings saved from earlier session.

Info you need: I am using USB live boot, created using Rufus. Other pups boot fine without warning. I am using laptop Dell G3 3779 with 16GB RAM and i5 processor. New to Linux.

dimkr

Re: Vanilla Dpup 9.2.24: Boot warning “waiting for partition” and Save issue

Post by dimkr »

Rufus kept pmedia=cdrom but created a file system instead of writing the ISO image to the drive as-is. The init script looks for an iso9660 file system and can't find it, because Rufus (probably) partitioned the device and copied the image contents. Maybe try some other tool, like balenaEtcher?

Regarding "boot in RAM only", this label is misleading and not super clear. It boots Puppy with pfix=ram, which means the save file/folder is ignored, if you have one.

SFS images from the boot media are copied to RAM by default, so you don't have to do anything if you want everything except the save file/folder to be copied to RAM. If you want to disable this behavior, specify pfix=nocopy ("Don't copy SFS files to RAM").

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

About rufus, see this post and its links, especially the footnote. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 768#p70768

sp4050

Post by sp4050 »

I used https://unetbootin.github.io/ and it fixed the boot issue. Thank you for quick answer.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”