manually installing Fedora?

mouldy

manually installing Fedora?

Post by mouldy »

I was playing with booting Fedora 35 LXDE spin with Limine. Here is the thing and maybe somebody can tell me the reason. I first did custom install from dvd telling Anaconda installer to not install GRUB 2. You have to really look for this option, not super obvious. It did so, no GRUB in sight. Limine had no problem booting it with no GRUB of any flavor installed anywhere. Didnt even stop at the login gui screen. Straight to user desktop. Now being long term Puppy user, I wondered about just manually copying the system files to another partition and booting it there without using an installer. Something very common in the Puppy universe.

Well it did boot done like that upto where it got to gui login screen. Yea this copy didnt just breeze on through to the user desktop. First install that I copied had set up both root account and also a user account with no password. Well when copying the files it retained user name. But at the login screen it wouldnt accept the user + no password login. So tried logging in with root. Root with password root. Again nope, wouldnt accept it. Why? Does it perhaps do some fingerprint as to original location it was installed? This is same SSD, only different partition. I know better than to ask this on some Fedora forum, hard to find people on mainstream linux distribution forums wanting or accepting anything but the official approved company method. I even ran across some thread where one user was getting beaten down cause he wanted to know how to install without a bootloader so he could use a non-GRUB bootloader. Like say this option not very obvious. Lot people only know the official factory way any change is pure anathema to them. Many werent even aware there were other boot loaders and kept telling him he couldnt boot without a boot loader.

Return to “Other Distros”