How to install VanillaDPup on hard drive, edit GRUB?

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

Maybe

How to install VanillaDPup on hard drive, edit GRUB?

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

Please tell me,

1) how to install VanillaDPup v. 9.1.x to internal hard drive?

2) How to properly edit GRUB and add an entry about the new VanillaDPup to it?

3) If I use the drub4dos bootloader, how do I properly edit the menu file configuration for that bootloader after installing the VanillaDPup files on the internal hard drive?

From Dmitry (Russia)

Feek

Re: How to install VanillaDPup on hard drive, edit GRUB?

Post by Feek »

Before I installed Vanilla dpup 9.1.X (.img) on usb stick using Balena Etcher, I had version 9.0.X (.iso) manually installed on hard drive.

I haven't try what you are asking but I noticed that pemasu did successfully manual install of the version 9.1.X. (using frugalify with grub4dos).
Look here.

One thing is to edit the bootloader's config file but it is also important to extract the .img file properly.

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

pemasu wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:56 am

Dancytron. 9.1.X latest which I downloaded did not have initrd.gz but it had frugalify.

I am now posting from 9.1.5. I downloaded vanilladpup-9.1.5-ext4-2gb-bios.img.gz and extracted the content using loopimg script which loopmounted it.

Grup4dos menu.lst which worked for me is:
title dpup os 9.1.X (sda13)
uuid 86b28755-285e-452b-b76f-15130f6a5aa5
kernel /vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=000732f3-0d init=/frugalify rootfstype=ext4 rootwait rw
initrd /ucode.cpio

I used blkid to identify uuid and partuuid. Otherwise I used included extlinux.cfg as template.

Thanks dimkr. And sorry that I polluted the thread.

I also am one of the few left around here that still use Grub4dos
I have an old laptop that I have run several different puppies on over the years as well as Barry's EasyOS
I thought I would give the above a try and see if I could add Vanilla Dpup

The trouble is the partuuid....

This is a MBR partitioned drive. When I run blkid I can get the uuid but no partuuid.
I read online that the partuuid on an MRB drive is usually just the "disk identifier" plus a two digit identifier for the partition
So I tried the 8 digit disk identifier that I got from fdisk and appended -03 to the end (for partition sda3)
However, I still got a kernel panic on attempted boot up.

This is kind of over my head....
Is there any way to assign a partuuid so I can make the above bootloader config work?

Thanks!

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

Got it!

Actually, the PARTUUID was not the issue. The 8 digit disk identification number -03 worked fine.

The problem was that I did not have the Vanilla Dpup files in the root of the installation. Since I have multiple OS' to boot I like to keep them in separate folders to keep them tidy. I just specifiy the folder in the boot configuration.

This has worked fine for the other puppies and for EasyOS. However, looking back through previous forum entries I found one that mentioned Vanilla Dpup didn't like that.

I copied the files to the root of the partition and adjusted the menu.1st file accordingly. It fired right up!

Thanks.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Airdale wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:37 pm

I also am one of the few left around here that still use Grub4dos

There may be more of us than you think. My dev machine (this one) uses grub4dos, but it is true that most of the machines in my family have grub2 on them.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Airdale wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:09 am

I copied the files to the root of the partition and adjusted the menu.1st file accordingly. It fired right up!

Te most common mistakes I see are 1) specifying the wrong partition and 2) forgetting to copy frugalify to the partition, and chmod +x.

(You can always use /usr/sbin/simple_installer as a reference, if you choose to install Vanilla Dpup manually - for example, you can see where PARTUUID comes from.)

Berto

Post by Berto »

Hi to everyone,

Hhhhnmp, got the same problem, sorry I'm using easyos for long now, but I have never been interested in puppies. This changed, after I've tried vanilla dpup.

This is so very nice and useful, I'd like to have it on HDD. Downloaded the .IMG file, running very smooth from USB, but how t* f* I get it on hard disk partition??? Tried acetoneiso out of devuan, dd, and so on ... No success. The installer in vanilla wants to use the whole sda ... Well, very impossible... It searches for an ISO ... I don't have.

Tried to download the outdated iso from GitHub 5 times now... After 2/3 download it stops with the error: authorization required. Hm, what authorization???? I'm registered in git, downloading after registration .... and if I need this authorization, then how??? It just stopped with this error msg! Sry I don't know what to do to get it run from HDD. All former explanations in the forum are only half or expect 10 years puppy experience.

So pls can anyone give a simple example how to install dpup vanilla on harddisk. Preferable on separate partition and with legacy boot from grub2 (handled by devuan on other partition)

Thanks a lot
Regards

Berto

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I have 9.1.11 booting from HDD using an ext2 partition and legacy grub (not grub4dos)
BUT only if installed in the root of the partition, not if installed in a sub-directory
I really don't want to have these files in the root of the partition (that is a main working area)
ONE PROBLEM:- Other .sfs files which happen to be there get loaded automatically and appear in the menu, even if they are 32bit!
So yes, if psubdir could be supported in frugalify, that would be much nicer.

For the menu.lst entry, I am using PARTUUID but do not need the UUID
The PARTUUID was obtained using blkid which is the real executable and not a busybox symlink.
Some of these may not be needed, but the entry looks like this:-

Code: Select all

# VanillaDPup entry
title VanillaDPup64 9.1.11
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=PARTUUID=be08be08-02 init=/frugalify rootfstype=ext2 rootwait rw pmedia=atahd net.ifnames=0
initrd /ucode.cpio
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi Berto:

Did you solve this problem? Are u interested in the solution or you forgot your idea of installed vanilladpup ?? Let us know, please

Berto wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:35 am

Hi to everyone,

Hhhhnmp, got the same problem, sorry I'm using easyos for long now, but I have never been interested in puppies. This changed, after I've tried vanilla dpup.

This is so very nice and useful, I'd like to have it on HDD. Downloaded the .IMG file, running very smooth from USB, but how t* f* I get it on hard disk partition??? Tried acetoneiso out of devuan, dd, and so on ... No success. The installer in vanilla wants to use the whole sda ... Well, very impossible... It searches for an ISO ... I don't have.

Tried to download the outdated iso from GitHub 5 times now... After 2/3 download it stops with the error: authorization required. Hm, what authorization???? I'm registered in git, downloading after registration .... and if I need this authorization, then how??? It just stopped with this error msg! Sry I don't know what to do to get it run from HDD. All former explanations in the forum are only half or expect 10 years puppy experience.

So pls can anyone give a simple example how to install dpup vanilla on harddisk. Preferable on separate partition and with legacy boot from grub2 (handled by devuan on other partition)

Thanks a lot
Regards

Berto

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Hey, first post here. Just began my journey with vanilla dpup after a very short experience with fossapup on an old dying laptop I used to have. Anyways.
Running 10.0 off a pendrive, and the Puppy Installer does not give me an option to install the OS on my hard drive, only USB option shows up. Anything I am doing wrong or should do differently?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Maxiwuff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:19 pm

Hey, first post here. Just began my journey with vanilla dpup after a very short experience with fossapup on an old dying laptop I used to have. Anyways.
Running 10.0 off a pendrive, and the Puppy Installer does not give me an option to install the OS on my hard drive, only USB option shows up. Anything I am doing wrong or should do differently?

welcome Max
It would help to know more about your hardrive.

can you run blkid in the terminal and paste the results?
what elses in the hard drive being used for that you wish to keep?
is there a bootloader already in use on the HD?

which version of 10 do you wish to install. complete filename please.

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

version 10.0.40, not retro and not xwayland (which is also the iso I put on the USB stick)
an M.2 NVMe drive, freshly formatted with gparted into ext4, not currently used for anything
no bootloader afaik
Will post results in a sec

Attachments
blkid.png
blkid.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

whatever is wrong with the screenshot...
LABEL="Puppy!" BLOCK-SIZE="4096" Type="ext4" PARTLABEL="Puppy!"
Unless UUID is also needed to be shown

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Maxiwuff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:24 pm

LABEL="Puppy!" BLOCK-SIZE="4096" Type="ext4" PARTLABEL="Puppy!"
Unless UUID is also needed to be shown

if you are setting up a new disk, you might want to look over some basic tutorials and decide on a partition that will work for you and your machine. also which bootloader you prefer.
you have lots of options and are not constrained to editing grub or using vanilla tools to make a vanilla install
I am not sure which tools are available in vanilla 10 on your USB, but the right tools for the job are not far away.

viewtopic.php?t=6953
viewforum.php?f=184

I encourage you to start a new topic in the beginner or user section to get more responses.
Make mention of the specific tools you have in your vanilla install
what you have done so far
and what you would like to accomplish in the long run. (reconfiguring a disk later can be a hassle)

Maxiwuff

Post by Maxiwuff »

Will do just that, thank you!

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Maxiwuff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:24 pm

Are you using Firefox to upload the screenshot? Try going into about:config (settings), search for privacy.resistFingerprinting and change it to 'false'. The image should then display correctly in this forum. You can change it back to 'true' afterwards if you feel you really want to. You can edit your own post above to remove the faulty image and replace it with a good one.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”