Slimjet-portable : Now includes manual updater from Fred...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Slimjet-portable : Now 64-bit ONLY - v39.0.1.0

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

It may be the exact same problem mikeslr had with Iron-portable under Fossapup. Try running the browser as 'spot'.....and let me know what happens. I'm in the middle of trying to sort out details for the decorators on a water-damage insurance claim ATM, so I haven't really got time to guide you through this.

Use a copy, anyway.....and back up your profile first. Others will be able to advise. If running as spot is the 'cure', I'll modify Slimmie-portable in the same way as I did for Iron.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

pp4mnklinux

NO VALID.- : Slimjet-portable : Now 64-bit ONLY - v39.0.1.0

Post by pp4mnklinux »

NO VALID... FORGET IT, PLEASE, take into account the next post, where I achieve results.

Hi.-

I tried to run as spot:

First of all I tried to run with exec command the LAUNCH program .- no result

Then with run-as-spot the location of this LAUNCH program.- no result.

Finally I run-as-spot SLIMJET...and it told me I must run flashpeak slimjet.

I did it.. and the answer is the capture I included.

I don't know If i made it correctly, but let me know and I'll try to do it in the correct way.

THANKS A LOT (but please, never consider my ask as an obligation, but something to do when you have free time, ok?9

Have a nice day.-

-------------------------- edited-----------------------------------

I did the same RUN-AS-SPOT with slimjet 34... (capture "sudo") and after writing 3 times an incorrect password, slimjet started without problem, with sound and working perfectly.-

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

pp4mnklinux

TESTED WITH RUN-AS-SPOT: Slimjet-portable : Now 64-bit ONLY - v39.0.1.0

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi again.-

This is the valid post.- I tried to run-as-spot from terminal in the instalation folder of slimjet 39 and It works.

I included the capture of the terminal when I run it.-

I think it could give u enough info.

Is it posible to do anything to run the LAUNCH file always as spot ?... Only creating a file .- shortcut.- with this instruction.... MY PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED, hahha

Thanks

---------------------------EDITED-----------------------------------SOLVED------------------------

I (bold) thought what was the solution, so I create a shorcut at the task bar of my puppy, with the command

Code: Select all

run-as-spot /mnt/sda3/opt/Slimjet-portable64/LAUNCH

(I have the launcher in another disk and partition).

The problem has been solved.- Now I can browse with slimjet 39 with audio.

SO SIMPLE ... SO GOOD.-

I can't do it with you.... THANKS PUPPY USERS (that's what make puppy the best).

CHEERS.

~

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, pp4mnklinux. Running Slimjet as spot does enable it to render audio under systems employing pulse-audio. I did it by editing /usr/share/applications/slimjet-portable.desktop. Its Exec line now reads "run-as-spot slimjet". I made that change to the desktop file within the portable's data folder as it is written when MenuAdd is run.

Sound will not be executed on my computer when slimjet is run as root and pulse-audio is employed: no way to change from the default card (which doesn't work) is offered. For me, no choice really exists.

@ mikewalsh, your reference above to my problem with Iron reminded me to examine its situation. I'll report on the portable iron thread. I'll just mention here that under the same conditions Iron also has to be run as spot.

The only problem I have with running as spot is getting downloaded files out of it; and to a lesser extent getting files into it for upload. Bookmarking and Right-Click>Copy-to help. But even though your 'spot2root' application included a routine to change permissions which is no longer needed, I think a simplified (by the absence of the permission changing routine) application would be helpful. Maybe call it 'spot-access'?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, gang. Here's a re-build of the portable.

Due to @pp4mnklinux discovering - just as @mikeslr did with Iron-portable a few weeks back - that Slimjet also refuses to deliver audio when running under PulseAudio in the newest Puppies, I've done the same as with Iron.......re-jigged it to give the user a choice between running as root OR running as spot when initially launched.

It'll need testing, obviously - it works for me - but since from the above posts a certain amount of testing seems to have already been done, I'm reasonably confident it'll now do what's asked of it.

Uploaded, and available from the usual link in post #1. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Script to update Slimjet-portable:

UpdateSlimjet.gz
Remove fake .gz and make executable
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Place it in the 'Slimjet-portable64' directory from @mikewalsh's setup and run from there in terminal ./UpdateSlimjet

Some notes:
- at this point of time, updating won't be needed as Mike's latest portable contains already the latest version (39.0.1.0)
- extracting the latest version (slimjet_amd64.tar.xz) will exclude extracting the executable script 'flashpeak-slimjet', it should stay as the original in Mike's setup (as it has some modifications to work properly with the portable setup).
- side-note, the check for newest version <> installed version (comparing) is rather complicated and *may* be fragile (i.e. it may not work properly anymore in the future if major changes are done at the Slimjet server side)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Hey, nice one, Fred. Cheers, mate!

Question:- How did you determine the URL for this, BTW? I've tried this one a few times, but because of the redirect I've only ever been able to download the HTML code for the "Thank you for downloading Slimjet" page. I never could figure it out, and eventually just gave it up as a bad job.

Just curious, really. Don't need to divulge it if it's a "trade secret"! :lol:

Mike. :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Hey, nice one, Fred. Cheers, mate!

Question:- How did you determine the URL for this, BTW? I've tried this one a few times, but because of the redirect I've only ever been able to download the HTML code for the "Thank you for downloading Slimjet" page. I never could figure it out, and eventually just gave it up as a bad job.

Just curious, really. Don't need to divulge it if it's a "trade secret"! :lol:

Ok, I'll tell you, but you must promise to keep it secret ! :D
I do just "Copy Download Link" from the item in the Download list (on Firefox in this case):
(couldn't figure out commandline option with e.g. curl or wget for this one)

2023-04-28_23-38-49.png
2023-04-28_23-38-49.png (38.08 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Clap, clap, clap :thumbup2:

~

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Int-er-esting. Didn't know you could do that, but then Firefox is not my regular browser; at best, it's only ever a backup for me.

Having said which, I've now discovered that if you go into Menu->Downloads in any of the clones, every single item listed has its specific download URL right there along with the downloaded item.

Very rare I bother with the full Downloads page, TBH. Curiously, where the main site is slimjet.com, the download site is slimjetbrowser.com.....

Confusing....and darned inconsiderate of 'em! :thumbdown: :lol:

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi puppy users:

I discovered one thing that is happening with my slimjet 39 / 38 .....

I solved (with your help, of course) the audio problem when playing videos, mp3, avi.... running slimjet as spot (run-as-spot) and it's really good (as good as simply, jaja), but here comes the problem.

Slimjet starts fantastic, until I go to this forum (or whatever), I wrote a post and I want to attach an image, a file, a photo.....

I push Attachments, and when my file manager pops up.... NOT ALL THE FOLDERS APPEARS (and I can't find what I want to include in my post)

SOLUTIONS:-

1.- You can't start your file manager and drag the image because the folder where the image is located doesn't exist for slimjet, so you have an error.

2.- What you CAN DO... is start thunar, right click on the file, copy it and put it into a recogniced folder so you can include it.

----------------------------------

My other option.- Use firefox for blogs, or (as I made too) include slimjet to be runned normally too, so I use the one with sound when working on music and videos... the normal when commenting.

SLIMJET..... I hate it.... I love it.

HAVE A NICE DAY U ALL

------------------------------------- edited ---------------------------------

Related with this file browser problem.- If you want to use the page https://upload.disroot.org/ you are going to find a problem.

The option to upload is not active (include image comparing with firefox, to see that in this last one it works)

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

pp4mnklinux wrote:

I push Attachments, and when my file manager pops up.... NOT ALL THE FOLDERS APPEARS (and I can't find what I want to include in my post)

Works for me by clicking "Other locations" > Computer , I can select any image file to attach on this forum.
Tested with Slimjet running as spot.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@fredx181 Thanks, but I tried this way.- When I start and go to mtn/home no folder apperars, only spot, so I can't do anything.

As I told the only solution is copy with your file manager to a folder slimjet recognize.... I don't know why.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR SUGGESTION. :( :( :(

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@pp4mnklinux
That's strange... why it works for me and not for you :?:
I'm using the exact setup from Mike's latest portable, chose "Run as spot" after clicking LAUNCH .
(just saying, perhaps your setup is different and is possibly cause of the problem)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

If Spot is working properly, browsers run-as-spot SHOULD NOT be able to access any folder not having Spot-permissions.
There's a symlink in /root to the /home/spot folder. Any file dropped on that symlink will be transported into the /home/spot folder where a web-browser running as spot should be able to access it to upload.
HOWEVER, if I'm not mistaken, the portable-slimjet --like the portable-Brave-- may have its own Spot folder in /PATH-TO-Slimjet-portable64/profile. Wherever it is, you can create a symlink to it at /root or some other convenient location. [May have to deal with the fact that a folder can not have two files with the same name].

With rox as file-manager and the Right-Click copy routine available, you can book-mark the /spot folder, right-click a file, select copy, then open your book-marked spot folder, right-click an empty space and select paste. Similarly, you can book-mark Slimjet's download folder, then move files out of it.

I don't know if that works when thunar is the file-manager or if thunar has an equivalent procedure.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

HI, @mikeslr , I downloaded the program you recomend me to work with the run-as-spot files... I tried to install it... but it gives me errors (never finish installing)

It's not a very important problem, disturbing because you waste time when working, but...

Thanks a lot

‐----edited

Finally I installed it, but it increase the problem, when you click on atach a file, the browser hangs on.

Thanks but it doesn't work.

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:

If Spot is working properly, browsers run-as-spot SHOULD NOT be able to access any folder not having Spot-permissions.

Yes, in theory that's right.
Can anyone else test how it works attaching an image here located in e.g. /root using @mikewalsh's Slimjet-portable and run as spot ?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

If you're writing about MikeWalsh's Spot2Root, I had second thoughts and edited my post to delete reference to it and spell out other ways to manage transferring files.

The Spot2Root application was written when the Spot folder was either in /root or in /home. Things got more complicated when each portable began to have its own Spot folder. Maybe why MikeWalsh hasn't jumped at my suggestions for a new version. :) FWIW, I haven't figured out how to modify it either. I assumed that a web-browser running as Spot could be configured to use any /spot/download folder. But you know what they say about ass u me.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mm. Well, I've just attached this (has /root permissions) with Slimjet running-as-spot. That's not right, is it? In theory, that shouldn't be possible, so.....where am I going wrong here?

Personally, I tend to run Slimmie as 'root' all the time anyway. 'Spot' is NOT standard browsing practice for me...

Mike. :?

Attachments
African-Sunset-Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg
African-Sunset-Desktop-Wallpaper.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 7636 times

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, @mikeslr :

Yeah, I was writing about Spot2Root.
I read your post and I downloaded it really fast, so when you delete mention to it... I had already downloaded it.... jajaj

I can't install it , but when I reboot, It appears on my taskbar.- I can't delete it.. so I need to recover my savefile.

No problem.-

Another idea... Is it possible that the problems arrive due to the fact that I am using a SLIMJET installed in other disk, other partition, and Is not at the same folder/DISK that my F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ???

mikeslr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:10 pm

If you're writing about MikeWalsh's Spot2Root, I had second thoughts and edited my post to delete reference to it and spell out other ways to manage transferring files.

The Spot2Root application was written when the Spot folder was either in /root or in /home. Things got more complicated when each portable began to have its own Spot folder. Maybe why MikeWalsh hasn't jumped at my suggestions for a new version. :) FWIW, I haven't figured out how to modify it either. I assumed that a web-browser running as Spot could be configured to use any /spot/download folder. But you know what they say about ass u me.

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks @mikewalsh , as I said it works for me too attaching image from /root and cannot see anything wrong with the setup, it runs as spot properly as far as I can see (from ps aux | grep slimjet).
Same btw with the Brave-portable (runs as spot by default) attachment selected from /root works fine:

klv.gif
klv.gif (79.11 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

pp4mnklinux wrote:

... I wrote a post and I want to attach an image, a file, a photo.....

SOLUTIONS:-

1.- You can't start your file manager and drag the image because the folder where the image is located doesn't exist for slimjet, so you have an error.

2.- What you CAN DO... is start thunar, right click on the file, copy it and put it into a recogniced folder so you can include it.

Did some testing running Slimjet as spot:
- On XFCE-Fusilli I could reproduce exactly as @pp4mnklinux's report above shows
- On KLV-Airedale I could reproduce it partly, e.g. going to /run/media/root (browsing for attachment on gvfs mounted partition)) I got the "Access Denied", but attaching from /root works OK.
- On other systems I tested, e.g. FossaPup, DebianDog, I found no problem at all attaching files owned by root.

So... it seems very much dependent on the system setup (and also the way partitions are mounted (with gvfs or not)) if files from "root owned" folders can be attached to a post.
edit: btw, I don't expect that behavior with other browsers running as spot will be different, but not really sure.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @fredx181:

The problem when you run slimjet as root is the sound.- Everything works ok (or at least what I tested) but when you go to videos online (utube or similar) or wanna reproduce mp3 , avi, ogg.... there's no sound.-

So if you want hearing..... run-as-spot but the problem there is you can't access all your folders, disks or partitions...only what it want.... I don't know why.

So what I made:

2 slimjets .-

1.- Portable , at the instalation folder of my distro, out of savefile, and run-as-spot sound and all what I want to visit some pages

2.- Portable.- It is located at other disk, with other distro (XENIALPUP) and portable as well. No sound but It's the one I use when writing blogs, posts, office work....

The problem.... when I am browsing as spot,and I think some thing to do with sound.... or include a capture.... PROBLEMS

But as I said... I hate Slimjet... I love Slimjet (youtube download, gestures incorporated, add block....... a lot of qualities I can implement in others with plugins, but I prefer my slimjet)..

Have a nice day.

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

pp4mnklinux wrote:

The problem when you run slimjet as root is the sound.

I have no problem with sound running slimjet as root.
Easy enough to "blame" it on slimjet or .... But the problem may very well depend on which system you use, perhaps it has to do with the way Fusilli works regarding sound (suspecting that you use Fusilli , I do a wild guess that you are :D ;) ).

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Aha, but I think is something we can't find.

For instance, in Xenial 7.5 x64 (XL) I can hear slimjet, but with some special characteristic.

The first pet I installed with slimjet was versión 13.- I installed the .pet and I can hear it.

Version 15 no sound... but with version 18 installed as .pet, I recover sound.

My experience with slimjet went from sound, sound, sound... NO SOUND... sound.. sound.. sound... NO SOUND and I don't know why.

It's dificult to explain, but when I installed slimjet 18 using a .pet the sound works and I was doing special installs. With "specials" I refer to the way I made them. I substitute the slimjet folder with the new version (downloaded from slimjet homepage) for linux, and everything works. But the day I was cleaning my xenial, I deleted with puppy package manager, slimjet 18 and... from this day sound dissapears.

ahhh... of course I'm in love with fusilli..hahahha.- I think this visualization is what is going to attract new "puppiers" (The other thing to do will be a so easy install as windows)

I saw my pupils' faces when I browse the net with my puppy at the Interactive Screen... and their faces show what we wanna achieve (believe me)

I understand it is complex, but u are prepared for this and it could help u to understand what happens with slimjet.... BUT IT'S "really difficult".

Thanks a lot for your interest.- NIGHT NIGHT.-

~

pp4mnklinux

Slimjet lost its possition...(#default)

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello:

I was trying to use slimjet the way I told you, I used two diferent slimjet profiles (with two apps of this browser) but in the end..... I mantein this browser (slimjet) but firefox 112.0.1 is going to be my default one.

N.b.- You can see I dissabled updates.- It is no difficult.- At firefox folder, you must create a folder called DISTRIBUTION and include in it a file .json with this content:

Code: Select all

{
  "policies": {
	"DisableAppUpdate": true
	}
}

I was used to Slimjet, but when I started using the internet my browser was FF, and I continued using it during all my internet life, although as a second browser.- Now I think I must use it at default, because it gives me no problem with puppy.

It's true slimjet has very good advantages, specially if you are used to them, but I can do the same with firefox increasing its capacities using plugins.-

Let see how it goes....haha

I'll tell you how it goes.- HAVE A NICE DAY.

~

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm

The first pet I installed with slimjet was versión 13.- I installed the .pet and I can hear it.

My experience with slimjet went from sound, sound, sound... NO SOUND... sound.. sound.. sound... NO SOUND and I don't know why.

Almost certainly related to libffmpeg. You ARE aware, aren't you, that the libffmpeg that ships with each new release is a rather basic version? Flashpeak say they're not allowed to supply certain codecs OOTB - because of licensing conditions - so there's a page on the website that tells you where & how to obtain a specific libffmpeg build from a Github project:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/libffmpeg.php

However; I've found this last year or so that the specified build doesn't function correctly half the time. What DOES always seem to work is the one that Opera tell you to use for their browser:-

https://github.com/Ld-Hagen/fix-opera-l ... e/releases

Make sure to d/l the correct one for the version of Chromium your Slimjet is based on, because it gets re-compiled for each major version of Chromium. Download, extract.....and swap for the existing libffmpeg within the Slimjet directory. Then, re-boot.

Simple as that.

Mike. ;)

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

HI @mikewalsh and thanks a lot for this info:

About this, yes, of course, I tried to use a libffmpeg adequate to this 39 version of slimjet (If my memory doesn't lie me is 110) but there is no result.

This could solve the problem we found using run-as-spot (you can read about this problem looking for it at the forum, but basically refers to some folders and files and partitions and ... that don't appears when managing files).

But I think it is good for me.- I gonna change slimjet (a minority browser, although is based on chrome) for firefox , a program who you can modify and play a lot with the about:config option)

I gonna change, I will loose slimjet, but NOW I gonna win an editable browser where I can do "what I want".

Thanks a lot for your help.- CHEERS

mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:02 am

pp4mnklinux wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Almost certainly related to libffmpeg. You ARE aware, aren't you, that the libffmpeg that ships with each new release is a rather basic version? Flashpeak say they're not allowed to supply certain codecs OOTB - because of licensing conditions - so there's a page on the website that tells you where & how to obtain a specific libffmpeg build from a Github project:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/libffmpeg.php

However; I've found this last year or so that the specified build doesn't function correctly half the time. What DOES always seem to work is the one that Opera tell you to use for their browser:-

https://github.com/Ld-Hagen/fix-opera-l ... e/releases

Make sure to d/l the correct one for the version of Chromium your Slimjet is based on, because it gets re-compiled for each major version of Chromium. Download, extract.....and swap for the existing libffmpeg within the Slimjet directory. Then, re-boot.

Simple as that.

Mike. ;)

~

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@pp4mnklinux Sure that firefox is a good browser choice, but I just tried to investigate why there's no sound with slimjet running as root on your XFCE-FUSILLI
FUSILLI is using Pulseaudio and I noticed that it's running as user spot (to see, in terminal ps aux | grep pulse) (don't think that's good, is it on purpose ?)
So that could very well explain why you get only sound on Slimjet with run-as-spot.
Tried to change that (run pulseaudio as root) but couldn't, don't know how, FUSILLI is complicated (as well as pulseaudio's startup config).

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @fredx181 and first of all, THANKS for your interest in helping us with this "problem".

As I mentioned, I don't consider it as a problem (that's the reason I mentioned it with quotes, haha), but an opportunity to give chance to FF,.

I don't want to waste my time, and start an investigation about how to solve this it's not in my mind, haha, so I think it's easy to understand for slimjet developers.

If you put only difficulties and limititations to your software use, and make us finish what you can't.... BYE

This could be a bit rude, but nowadays I think we have a lot of software substitutes, so if one doesn't satisfy your needs, dont waste your time, find a substitute and use it.

"Years" using this page... https://alternativeto.net/platform/linux/

But you can use any of then too,.-

http://alternativeto.net/

http://similarapplication.com/

http://www.osalt.com/

And only for slimjet, you can find more than 93 alternatives to use, so remember (slimjet developers) we don't need you, take us with care, or be prepared to loose users.

Alternatives to slimjet.- https://alternativeto.net/software/slim ... -browser/

fredx181 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:54 pm

@pp4mnklinux Sure that firefox is a good browser choice, but I just tried to investigate why there's no sound with slimjet running as root on your XFCE-FUSILLI
FUSILLI is using Pulseaudio and I noticed that it's running as user spot (to see, in terminal ps aux | grep pulse) (don't think that's good, is it on purpose ?)
So that could very well explain why you get only sound on Slimjet with run-as-spot.
Tried to change that (run pulseaudio as root) but couldn't, don't know how, FUSILLI is complicated (as well as pulseaudio's startup config).

~

Return to “Browsers and Internet”