Arch's "Smart" Installers. Chapter 1. ALIS

Grey

Arch's "Smart" Installers. Chapter 1. ALIS

Post by Grey »

As probably everyone already knows, Arch does not have a "normal" installer. I am familiar with two versions that explain this ;) :
1. Arch was made by very smart people, they just don't care about ordinary mortals and schoolchildren.
2. Arch was made by schoolchildren who did not "master" even the installer.

So, I had a little time and I did what I had wanted for a long time. I have tested various "fast and smart" Arch Linux installers. Mostly from GitHub.
I made memos for myself in Xournal++, FeatherNotes and Cherrytree (plus in a paper notebook). But because I might lose them too :) ... then let it be on the forum.

First I wanted to ask @rockedge or one of the moderators to make a separate section and do a whole cycle. But maybe later someone will transfer it if I master a few threads.
Although a drone was shot down in my area the other day and I do not know what will arrive on my roof tomorrow :?

To install, you need a native disk image from the Arch website. Although all this is installed not from the disk, but via Internet and the latest. Scripts only install it all, and usually try to do it in the "Arch Way" style.

The conditions are as follows. QEMU or VirtualBox running in Fossapup(old), both have (virtual) 8 GB of RAM and 2 processor cores. The video in QEMU is virtio/virgl, and in Vbox is vmwgfx/SVGA3D. Disk images... For QEMU it is qcow2, and for Vbox it is vdi. btrfs and ext4.
I installed the seventh version of Vbox and had to check it in the case. QEMU... I compiled the eighth version :( ... but the network and Internet stopped working in the images and I rolled back to 7.1.50.

Living Next Door to Alice(for some reason I remembered this song).
So, I'll probably start with alis. Yes, archinstall seems to be the most popular, but I'll start with alis.
I'll start right away with an assessment. I give 9 out of 10 points.
I not only managed to install Arch easily and quickly, but also figured out all four configuration files in 5 minutes (main, recovery, packages & commons). Now everything is put in automatic mode. Thanks to the configuration files, you can configure everything, including packages, desktop environment and passwords with users.

KDE is "heavy", and xfce is already just "sitting in the liver", tired already :roll: So I installed first with Mate and then with Cinnamon. I found packages with Brisk Menu and MATE Menu in AUR. The second one is just great for me, thanks to this I decided to use Mate :thumbup: instead of Cinnamon.

The most important thing is the disk layout. I decided for myself that auto and custom modes are better not to use. Better manual. First, I loaded a virtual Fossapup inside a virtual environment and using GParted divided the disk into 3 partitions. ("1=/boot" "2=/" "!3=/home") In that order. And then I replaced auto in the config with a manual one.

Some things are not installed by default, for example network-manager-applet (network icon in the tray), but this is easily added via pacman.
After two installations, I managed to configure everything so that the system is installed automatically in 10 minutes with a bunch of emulators and graphics programs.
I had to install mesa-utils, because I love when inxi shows all the information. For LightDM, I made an auto-login. But more on that next time.
There were still some nuances, but they are (for me at least) insignificant.

Next time, if everyone is still alive, Uncle Grey will tell you about archinstall and how to shove it together with alis inside the Arch branded disk image for easy installation :)

alis_cinnamon.png
alis_cinnamon.png (467.91 KiB) Viewed 549 times
alis_mate.png
alis_mate.png (218.76 KiB) Viewed 549 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Clarity

Re: Arch's "Smart" Installers. Chapter 1. ALIS

Post by Clarity »

Hi @Grey

Curious if you saw the video I posted yesterday or if you know of the Package Manager that distro in the video has? Seems your work may already be done for you and just might be a good solution for forum developers. As far as I can tell, for a TRUE overall solution for the forum it would only need to have a feature added for PET's to be universal for all the various distros in Puppyland.

Is that info is helpful, I'm you'll know.

Grey

Re: Arch's "Smart" Installers. Chapter 1. ALIS

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:52 am

Curious if you saw the video

No, I haven't seen any video. There's no time to watch.
But if you want versatility, you can get used to pacman and use this wrapper (pacapt) in other systems using options and an approach from Arch.
Of course, only if you apply your perseverance and can persuade everyone to use apt-get or xbps or zypper or something else in future Puppies ;)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Other Distros”