Unable to create swap file

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Unable to create swap file

Post by Governor »

fossapup64_9.5 in RAM-only mode

It complained about permissions. I tried changing the permissions in the GUI, but I could not see any numbers like 0644 or 0600. Now it says no such file, but I checked and the file is still there.
Any ideas?

Unable to load swap file.png
Unable to load swap file.png (159.89 KiB) Viewed 482 times

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Wiz57

Re: Unable to create swap file

Post by Wiz57 »

It looks to me like you mistyped the command to utilize the pupswap.swp file...check the filename closely.
Alternatively, in terminal just type pupswap, press enter, create a new swap file on target device...a small
gui will pop up to help, just follow the prompts...you can safely ignore the permissions warnings that are
displayed in terminal when the new pupswap.swp is mounted.
WIz

Signature available upon request

Governor

Post by Governor »

Wiz57 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:53 am

It looks to me like you mistyped the command to utilize the pupswap.swp file...check the filename closely.
Alternatively, in terminal just type pupswap, press enter, create a new swap file on target device...a small
gui will pop up to help, just follow the prompts...you can safely ignore the permissions warnings that are
displayed in terminal when the new pupswap.swp is mounted.
WIz

Ok, sorry I typed the name wrong, I had the savefile stuck in my mind. The swap file seems to be active now. I got this:

Unable to load swap file-2.png
Unable to load swap file-2.png (282.13 KiB) Viewed 440 times

What does the -2 mean?

On pupswap, in the GUI, the destination is locked. I can only choose the size. Seems odd to me, because the destination was available the first time when I created the existing pupswap.swp file.

Unable to load swap file-3.png
Unable to load swap file-3.png (91.41 KiB) Viewed 440 times

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

I'm not 100 percent sure on this but I think it is greyed out and already filled in because that is the swap file currently in use, so the GUI
assumes you wish to adjust the size of pupswap.swp on the mounted partition (someone correct me if I missed something). To enable
the choice of another drive/partition, in the GUI you have to check the box "Swap not required", which unmounts the swap file.
Then you can run the GUI and choose another drive/partition to locate a swap file.
Wiz

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

FYI

More than 1 swapfile can be mounted.
ie. swapfile1, swapfile2

Governor

Post by Governor »

Trapster wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:04 pm

FYI

More than 1 swapfile can be mounted.
ie. swapfile1, swapfile2

Now it is not grayed out, but the drive in the selection field does not exist. If I click on the drop down menu, I can select the sdd1 drive (not shown) which does exist (see screenshot).

Why is the internal drive not listed at all?

Pupswap only sees external USB.png
Pupswap only sees external USB.png (238.87 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Pmount in connection with swap drive problem.png
Pmount in connection with swap drive problem.png (348.53 KiB) Viewed 321 times

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

It looks to me like you are over-complicating the situation. Try this...turn your PC off, disconnect ALL those external drives, use only the
drive you are booting Puppy with. Then run PupSwap, and create an entirely new swapfile on the Puppy working drive and partition.
Once you get the swapfile setup, you can re-attach the desired external drives (assuming you are booting from internal drive, if you aren't,
then disregard this advice)!
Wiz

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The drive partition must first be mounted to be a selection in the destination drop down menu.

It will only list already mounted locations.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Governor

Post by Governor »

@Trapster @Wiz57

bigpup wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:43 am

The drive partition must first be mounted to be a selection in the destination drop down menu.

It will only list already mounted locations.

Just tried "pupswap" again in the console. This time, no external drives are mounted, and pMount shows the following internal drives mounted:
/mnt/nvme0n1p2
/mnt/nvme0n1p3
/mnt/nvme0n1p4
/mnt/nvme0n1p5 (shown, but not mounted)

No external drives are mounted, and in the "pupswap" GUI, I get this:

Pmount in connection with swap drive problem-2.png
Pmount in connection with swap drive problem-2.png (91.27 KiB) Viewed 242 times

The Destination field contains a non-existent drive, and is grayed out.(?) There is no possibility to choose anything in the Destination field.
I then mounted the last partition on the internal drive, /mnt/nvme0n1p5, and tried pupswap again. Same result.
Any ideas?
Wait... I just got an idea.
I naturally presumed the maximum swap file size applies to each swap file, but could this behavior be because the maximum swap size allowed is 8191MB per drive?
[Running fossapup64_9.5 in RAM-only mode]

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 am

Any ideas?

did you follow the reboot advice wiz57 gave 2 posts above?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:30 am
Governor wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 am

Any ideas?

did you follow the reboot advice wiz57 gave 2 posts above?

I have not rebooted yet because it is a real hassle to re-configure all of my settings every single time.
Can you say why re-booting would have any effect on the problem, or is it more like a "Hail Mary Pass"?
Thanks.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Wiz57 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:55 pm

It looks to me like you are over-complicating the situation. Try this...turn your PC off, disconnect ALL those external drives, use only the
drive you are booting Puppy with. Then run PupSwap, and create an entirely new swapfile on the Puppy working drive and partition.
Once you get the swapfile setup, you can re-attach the desired external drives (assuming you are booting from internal drive, if you aren't,
then disregard this advice)!
Wiz

I am now booting from either a thumb drive or an internal drive into RAM-only mode. I believe I last booted from the thumb drive.
I have not rebooted yet because it is a real hassle to re-configure all of my settings every single time. Can you say why re-booting would have any effect on the problem, or is it more like a "Hail Mary Pass"? Thanks.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:47 am

I have not rebooted yet because it is a real hassle to re-configure all of my settings every single time.
Can you say why re-booting would have any effect on the problem,
Thanks.

the app may not be able to display correct info if disks have been mounted or unmounted since boottime

with any issue, it's prudent to reboot and see if the issue persists before trying to resolve problems or asking for assistence solving proplems.
If the problem is reproducable it is easiler addressed
If the problems are not reproducable, then they will more often be attributed to operator error
I would encourage you to making a properly functioning OS install your first priority

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:14 am
Governor wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:47 am

Can you say why re-booting would have any effect on the problem,
Thanks.

the app may not be able to display correct info if disks have been mounted or unmounted since boottime

with any issue, it's prudent to reboot and see if the issue persists before trying to resolve problems or asking for assistence solving proplems.
If the problem is reproducable it is easiler addressed
If the problems are not reproducable, then they will more often be attributed to operator error
I would encourage you to making a properly functioning OS install your first priority

I have been trying to get Puppy to work properly and as advertised since I joined this forum. As I said before, it is a real hassle every time I have to reboot, because I must re-configure all of my settings every single time. I am not a computer geek living at home with no bills or responsibilities. I don't have much time, so I am loath to re-boot and re-configure. So far nobody has been able to explain (unless I missed it) how I can save my current settings before re-booting, and reboot actually using the settings I saved so I don't need to re-configure. Nothing has worked for me so far.
Thanks.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I am not a computer geek living at home with no bills or responsibilities. I don't have much time

Everyone here is volunteering their time and knowledge for free :roll:

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Jasper wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 pm

I am not a computer geek living at home with no bills or responsibilities. I don't have much time

Just goes to show the amount of entitlement some people have! Just so you know there governor, I work
40 hours per week, down from 48 at least, my 10 hour work day starts at 5 am, I'm up at 3 am, get off
work at 3 pm, then home to check online stuff, unwind from the day...I'm done with you now, since it is
obvious that your customizations of however you have booted Fossapup are too important, and you
recently weren't able to even create and use a savefile/folder (remember that thread? I do.) then you'll
just have to figure this one out yourself. Really though, I doubt you need a swapfile...I'm currently on my
old Acer Aspire One with only 1 gig RAM, 1 gig swap, and I'm not using but like 40kb of swapspace!
Good luck to ya! Maybe you should stick with MS Windows, or maybe Apple...Apple especially will
hold your hand and watch what you put on any device from the Apple Tree!
:roll:

Governor

Post by Governor »

Jasper wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 pm

I know that and I am deeply grateful. I did not mean to insinuate anything about anyone in the group. I am just very frustrated that I am unable to get the OS working properly even with all the help from kind people who volunteer their time. No offense intended, I was just trying to give an illustration of what I am not. Sorry, if anyone takes offense :(

Return to “Beginners Help”