how to set up puppy from debian as dual-boot?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

HazelEarthstar

how to set up puppy from debian as dual-boot?

Post by HazelEarthstar »

i don't do well on linux at all (however im more than ready to learn how certain things work) so i would like to know how to set up puppy as a dual-boot distro. that's really it :thumbup:

bigpup

Re: how to set up puppy from debian as dual-boot?

Post by bigpup »

:welcome: To Puppy Linux

well it really depends on the other operating system you want to dual boot with.

In general the method is to first install whatever the other operating system(OS) is.

Then do a frugal install of Puppy Linux.(frugal is the name it is still the complete Puppy OS)

Then you need to setup a boot loader with entries to boot both OS's.
You can use the boot loader the other OS installed and do a manual edit to add the Puppy Linux entry to it.
Or install a new boot loader and have it find and setup a boot menu to boot all OS's it finds installed.

Easy way to dual boot is just do a live install of Puppy on a USB drive or burned to a CD/DVD.
Use it to boot the computer and run Puppy when you want to use it.

Plus you may want to try a few different versions of Puppy before installing to internal drive.
There are some differences in them.

There is some information about different installs here:
viewforum.php?f=184

If you do not want to just do booting Puppy Linux from a USB drive or CD/DVD.

You will still need to do an install of Puppy on a USB drive or CD/DVD and boot the computer with it.
The programs to do installs of Puppy to internal drives, you need to run from Puppy.
also Puppy has specific boot loader installer programs, that are provided in Puppy, that understand how to setup for booting Puppy and other OS's in dual boot setups.

To give you specific info.

What is the make, model, and specs of the computer. (this will help to make sure the Puppy version is best for your hardware)
For dual booting installs on internal drive.
Need to know what Puppy version you want to install.
What specific other OS is going to dual boot with it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”