common codecs missing

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

darksun

common codecs missing

Post by darksun »

Hi,
playing around with vanilla dpup 10.0.50 (x.51 found on github would not boot for some reason, the link on this forum redirect to the x.50 version; but this is OT in this post).

Deadbeef 1.88 fails to play m4a audio files.
Mpv played that file of course.
I had to convert the .m4a audio file to an mp3 using ffmpeg (which was also missing in the default installation).

Seen how much common m4a and ffmpeg converter tool are, my curiosity was it there was a rational behind not having those two components included into the default ISO.

Thank you.

DS

dimkr

Re: common codecs missing

Post by dimkr »

@darksun Every additional deadbeef plugin makes it bigger and heavier, so it's built with a limited selection. Most notably, it's built without the ffmpeg plugin (which makes it support pretty much anything) because ffmepg is by far the biggest dependency of deadbeef. I'll add the AAC plugin.

darksun

Re: common codecs missing

Post by darksun »

thank you very much for your kindness and availability.

I believe AAC/mp4 audio files are rather common nowadays and would be, IMHO, wise to have the possibility to play them builtin, if this does not "cost" too much.

A new (noob) user getting their first steps into (puppy) linux might be disappointed if it would not play their collection of audio files. First impression, sadly, often play an important role, whether in a positive or negative way.

Thank you again.

DS

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”