Fossapup64 doesn't boot in HP ENVY x360 13-ay0004ur

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

x-yuri

Fossapup64 doesn't boot in HP ENVY x360 13-ay0004ur

Post by x-yuri »

Hi there.

Today I tried to boot Puppy Linux on HP ENVY x360 13-ay0004ur, and it failed. After choosing Puppy Linux from the grub menu, the screen goes blank and nothing happens.

But it boots on HP Spectre x360 - 13-4100ur.

It kind of reminds me of the issue I had with Arch Linux ISO. There are links to bug reports there. And the issue was eventually resolved. Although I'm not sure it's relevant here.

I downloaded the image here (fossapup64-9.5.iso). Then followed the following instructions to make it boot under UEFI.

Is there anything I can check/try? Thanks in advance.
x-yuri

Re: Puppy Linux doesn't boot on HP ENVY x360 13-ay0004ur

Post by x-yuri »

And I just tried the official grub.cfg. It doesn't boot with these menu items as well:

Code: Select all

fossapup64 9.5
fossapup64 9.5 - No X
fossapup64 9.5 - No KMS (Kernel modesetting)
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I'm guessing your first link is a brand-new, bang up-to-date model. If that's the case, you can't possibly expect Linux to work with it. ANY kind of Linux. Not yet, anyway.....

Why? Driver support, that's why.

Manufacturers, with very few exceptions, all provide Windoze drivers for their brand new, shiny toys. This is part of being accepted for Windows "certification"; if you don't make it so your new gadget will work for the user immediately, you don't get accepted into "the programme".

The Linux kernel is presently better than 90% nothing BUT drivers, for virtually every piece of hardware under the sun.

Now; here's the stinger. Manufacturers won't provide any sort of code for Linux developers to work with. Thus, virtually every driver in the kernel has had to be "reverse-engineered" - usually employing the 'clean-room' approach - from its Windoze counterpart. This takes time.....and, bearing in mind that very few people, if any, get "paid" for their work in the open-source world, can mean a reverse-engineered driver taking anywhere up to 6 months to appear in the kernel.

So, we usually say that if your machine has been around for between 6 months to a year, or longer, then your hardware should work under Linux. This applies across the Linux world, not JUST Puppy.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for you personally, but it's something that newcomers DO need to be aware of.....and nowhere near enough people take the trouble to explain this on most forums.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

@x-yuri

I suggest that you give ScPup64 a try. (ScPup64 is based on slackware current, and has a slightly different flavor.)
It has a newer kernel than Fossapup64, and the kernel may support your hardware.

Fossapup64 ... kernel 5.4.53
ScPup64 ... kernel 5.7.2
bigpup

Re: Fossapup64 doesn't boot in HP ENVY x360 13-ay0004ur

Post by bigpup »

In the computers UEFI setup.
Have secure boot disabled.
Legacy boot enabled or CSM enabled.

Could try to do the install to USB using one of these installer programs:
viewtopic.php?p=528#p528

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

x-yuri

Post by x-yuri »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 am I'm guessing your first link is a brand-new, bang up-to-date model.
Now that you mention it, I wish I knew the release date (of the model, not of my laptop).
mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 am Why? Driver support, that's why.
Indeed, this might be the case. When I was buying my previous laptop, I had already had in mind installing Arch Linux. And it went without a hitch (although I don't know how fresh/new my old model was back then). This time I was going to try something new. But for now... Arch Linux probably works. At least I was able to boot into the console and connect to the internet. With Ubuntu, it boots, and I kind of connect to the internet (on second attempt), but in reality not even ping works.

UPD Gentoo works too (at least console + network) :) And this is kind of off topic, but maybe you have other suggestions? I was planning to try FreeBSD, but that supposedly should wait (or on the old laptop). Gentoo is my second choice. Not for performance, but probably because it differs significantly from the other distros. Like, you know, if you're about to die, which distros you'd like to check out :) I understand that this topic is a bit prone to flame wars, but that is totally not my goal.
thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:46 pm I suggest that you give ScPup64 a try.
Unfortunately, not there yet :(
bigpup wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:24 pm Have secure boot disabled.
Already did
bigpup wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:24 pm Legacy boot enabled or CSM enabled.
Is it safe? I mean if I switch to legacy boot, and boot Windows by accident, will it survive (boot after I disable legacy boot)? I'd like to keep Windows alive for a while.
bigpup wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:24 pm Could try to do the install to USB using one of these installer programs:
viewtopic.php?p=528#p528
For that I probably need an up-to-date image that comes with EFI directory. The only one I saw is probably ScPup64, but not the latest version, and uefi image not at its place. And to be honest, I don't think it'll help. But I can try if you believe it might. Still thanks all for your suggestions. FYI, I either used dd, or formatted the drive with gnome-disks (FAT) and copied the files.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Have you looked in the UEFI setup for anything about enable USB booting?

Could try disable fast boot in the UEFI setup.

Windows 10 shutdown in hibernate will cause problems.
Make sure Windows 10 was shutdown normal complete shutdown.

When you try to boot from USB.
Are you trying to change the boot device order in the UEFI setup or just as computer starts, pressing escape key and then F9 to bring up boot device selection list?

Do not have other USB drives plugged in.
Only plug in the USB drive with Puppy Linux on it.

Have you tried using a different USB port?
I have one on my computer that only provides power output no data.

Forum Global Moderator

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

x-yuri wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:10 pm The only one I saw is probably ScPup64, but not the latest version, and uefi image not at its place.
ScPup64-20.06+0-T.iso has efi.img in /boot directory. The iso is capable of booting from CD drive on a UEFI machine.
x-yuri

Post by x-yuri »

bigpup wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 am Have you looked in the UEFI setup for anything about enable USB booting?
It boots. Meaning, grub starts. I believe it hangs when the kernel gets executed.
bigpup wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 am Windows 10 shutdown in hibernate will cause problems.
Make sure Windows 10 was shutdown normal complete shutdown.
It was shutdown properly.
bigpup wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 am When you try to boot from USB.
Are you trying to change the boot device order in the UEFI setup or just as computer starts, pressing escape key and then F9 to bring up boot device selection list?
Esc, F9 , choose device, Enter. Didn't try to change to change the order in the UEFI setup.
bigpup wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 am Do not have other USB drives plugged in.
Only plug in the USB drive with Puppy Linux on it.
Didn't have other USB drives plugged in.
bigpup wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:40 am Have you tried using a different USB port?
I have one on my computer that only provides power output no data.
From this port Arch Linux boots.

About the rest, I'll try.
thinkpadfreak wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 am ScPup64-20.06+0-T.iso has efi.img in /boot directory. The iso is capable of booting from CD drive on a UEFI machine.
No CD drive on my machine.
x-yuri

Post by x-yuri »

Now, I used UNetbootin to write ScPup64-20.06+0-T.iso image to the USB drive. Then copied /boot/efi.img to /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi. It said that the loader is invalid, and grub didn't start. I copied the loader from here, grub started, kernel didn't. My laptop has no legacy boot mode, or CSM. I don't see any relevant settings in the UEFI setup to try. I tried the other port. I tried changing order in the UEFI setup, it didn't help. No fast boot option in the UEFI setup.
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

x-yuri wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:16 am From this port Arch Linux boots.
I referred to archwiki.
The latest kernel of archlinux is version 5.8.13.
x-yuri wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:57 am grub started, kernel didn't.
Did you see any error message?

Maybe you can use this:
Puppy Linux Windows Installer
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 75ab131d08

However ...
Does your machine happen to have two SSDs? Are they configured as RAID? In that case it might be impossible to boot Puppy from the internal drive anyway.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you can boot Fossapup64 9.5 on another computer.

It has an installer program called FrugalPup.
This installer can provide a boot loader that works on UEFI or legacy bios or both.

You do have to manually setup the USB drive with partitions, before using Frugalpup installer.

Use Gparted program to delete all partitions on drive.
Make two partitions.
First one a small 300MB, formatted fat32, flagged boot.
2nd partition the rest of the drive, formatted ext 3 or 4.

Have the Fossapup64 9.5 iso available at a location it can be accessed.

run menu->Setup->FrugalPup flexible frugal installer.

This is a program that requires you to make choices, just go slowly and read the provided info.

On main widow select the Puppy button.
This will go thru the install process.
Install Fossapup64 8.0 to the 2nd partition.
It will provide a way to make a directory(folder) to put the frugal install in.
Do that. Best if you name it fossapup64 or similar.
Carefully read that pages information. Pressing OK does not make the directory. Pressing enter key does.
Complete install.

Back at main window.
Select boot button.
This will install the boot loader.
Choose to install to the first partition.
You can choose UEFI only or both. But all you need is the UEFI one.

When complete you should have Fossapup64 9.5 as a frugal install on the 2nd partition.
The Grub2 boot loader on the first partition.

Note:
If this USB did not boot on any computer.
There are other things to try.
Running out of ideas.
It may well be, just too new a computer.

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Fossapup64”